advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Staying somewhere along Highway 1 (CA)
Posted by: kap
Date: August 18, 2010 11:23AM
To celebrate my birthday, we want to stay at an affordable locale near the scenic Highway 1 for a day, if not 2. Prefer a pet friendly place. Any recommendations? Tia

SoCal for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2010 11:24AM by kap.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Staying somewhere along Highway 1 (CA)
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: August 18, 2010 11:28AM
Bodega Bay

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: August 18, 2010 11:30AM
Can you narrow down the town/area you want to stay? Also an idea of your budget and whether you want a resort-type place or just to rest after sight-seeing?
Date: August 18, 2010 11:31AM
Just one possibility .... [www.madonnainn.com] near SLO.
Posted by: davester
Date: August 18, 2010 11:38AM
Highway 1 is over 650 miles long. Which part are you interested in? If I had the choice I'd stay someplace like the Highlands Inn in Carmel or perhaps someplace in Big Sur.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 18, 2010 11:45AM
davester
Highway 1 is over 650 miles long. Which part are you interested in?

I was thinking the same thing.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: August 18, 2010 11:47AM
Thanks Seacrest smiling smiley

pqrst, it's the latter. We are hoping for under $200 per night. What we really want to do is camping out in a state national forest but nothing available since May sad smiley
Hm, the Maddona Inn? Las Vegas Strip would be a better choice. Alas, neither is up to my taste.

SoCal for now.
Date: August 18, 2010 11:49AM
Madonna Inn, not to your tastes... you don't know what you are missing (or maybe you do! smiling smiley Lots of places to stay and things to see all up and down hwy 1. Cambria (near Hearst Castle), Half Moon Bay up north, Pigeon Point Lighthouse and Youth Hostel is a favorite of mine when I bike. Just to name a few.....

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2010 11:54AM by pqrst.
Date: August 18, 2010 11:51AM
We like Carmel. It is also pet friendly... we've passed by a few times on the way to SF and OR. Don't think it's affordable tho'. At least not until Oct. or Nov.

SoCal for now.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: August 18, 2010 11:54AM
One of my favorite inexpensive hotels when I traveled as a sales rep, is in Paso Robles [www.adelaideinn.com] about $70/night. Not a special location or area, but a nice comfortable hotel that used to have nice fresh baked cookies and fruit at check in--long ago-no recent experience.

If you drive by the Madonna Inn, make sure you go to the Men's room---it is unique.
Date: August 18, 2010 12:02PM
We have visited the Maddona Inn. It is so over the top, guys.
Heard many good things about Half Moon Bay. However we don't want to be that far up North. Wife can't take off work that long.

SoCal for now.
Date: August 18, 2010 12:14PM
"Driving California Highway 1, in the north, this part goes from Carmel to San Francisco along Monterey Bay, the Pacific Ocean and Half Moon Bay.

Carmel-by-the-Sea is a picturesque town well-known for high-priced boutiques, art galleries, its stunning Spanish Mission and golf courses. You can easily hang around a day or two at this place. You can visit Point Lobos State Reserve and view sea otters, sea lions, and if you come to there at the right times of the year, California Gray Whales migrating.

Right next to Carmel is Pacific Grove, a scenic little town which offers some great B&Bs. If you want to play golf on Monterey Bay see if you can book a tee-off time at the Pacific Grove Municipal Golf Links. Here you'll get the backdrop of the Monterey Bay Coastline for a fraction of the cost you have to pay for the famous Carmel golf courses.

Only about 4 miles (6 km) drive north of Pacific Grove and Carmel is Monterey. However consider to take the scenic route. There is an admission fee of about $9.00 you have to pay per car, and drive the 17 Mile Drive (about 27 km - but the name is 17 Mile Drive). You'll see some of the world famous golf courses, forests of Monterey Pine and the Lone Cypress tree on Cypress Point which is a popular photo subject for visitors.

Whenever you stop for lunch at one of the restaurants at Spanish Bay, Pebble Beach, the Lodge, or Poppy Hills, you may get your ticket validated and get your gate fee back. You may be able to talk your way in without the fee if you tell the gate keeper that you will be stopping for lunch. It's worth a try.

You can probably find more affordable motels and B&Bs in Monterey than in Carmel. You should see Fisherman's Wharf. Most of it has been turned into restaurants and touristy markets, but it's really worth a visit. You can find some historic building nearby from Spanish times and from when Monterey was the capital of California.

You should also visit Cannery Row made renowned by the John Steinbeck novel. It's a little further along the seafront. The old sardine packing houses have been converted into restaurants and shops, but here you will find the Monterey Bay Aquarium. It's exhibit of California kelp forests is amazing. It's one of the largest and best aquariums in the country and really shouldn't be missed on your trip.

Travel along California Highway 1 around Monterey Bay to the surfing town of Santa Cruz, a laid back beach and university town full of students and retirees. It's worth to visit the old fashion Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, eat seawater taffy, and ride the Giant Dipper, a wooden roller coaster built in 1924. Near the Beach Boardwalk along West Cliff Drive there is a surfing museum.

Driving north again, you travel by coves with booming surf, sandy beaches, farming towns and Pigeon Point Lighthouse. Half Moon Bay features miles of sandy beaches.

Next you pass across Pacifica, and you'll soon arriving at San Francisco. Take the time and stay a few days there. Check out the best Hotel Deals to find your accommodation that suits your personal and financial needs. Then you are ready to experience this gem of a city after a couple of relaxing days spent driving California Highway 1."

===

Is that observation still true?

Kap

SoCal for now.
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: August 18, 2010 12:22PM
Just saw this SLO special pop up on TravelZoo: Apple Farm for $89. Noodling around on the Apple Farm site, I did see that some of the rooms allow dogs. It's not directly on 1--it's just before 101 runs back into 1 (towards Morro Bay) in SLO: http://www.travelzoo.com/hotels/san-francisco/870053/?utm_source=top20_us&utm_medium=email_top20
Date: August 18, 2010 12:32PM
I just called: $219 per night for a single room with a King sized bed. $25 per pet. Ouch! Where is that $89 per night rate?

SoCal for now.
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 18, 2010 12:45PM
All still true from your description above Kap.
Posted by: davester
Date: August 18, 2010 12:55PM
You'll almost never get a discount rate by calling a hotel directly kap. Go to the travelzoo link and follow their instructions.

The description that you cited is generally accurate, though I don't know why they state that is the northern part of Highway 1. It's really the middle part. Also note that Big Sur, which is south of Carmel and Monterey is spectacular. Unfortunately, the cannery row part of Monterey has been turned into a bunch of tourist trap t-shirt shops so is not worth spending much time in. The aquarium however is simply amazing.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: August 18, 2010 01:55PM
Davester,
Didn't know about paying a stiff rate for calling the hotel directly. Thanks for the tips!
Big Sur and Pacific Grove will be in our future plan.

Got lucky just now ... after months of trying I finally napped a 3 day tent camping at McGrath in Sta. Barbara for $115. Wife will be ecstatic because it was intent for her birthday this past July but our work schedules got in the way and all state park reservations were taken.

Thank everyone for your suggestions. Will try to remember to share some good pictures of the trip with y'all later on.

SoCal for now.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: August 18, 2010 02:23PM
kap
Got lucky just now ... after months of trying I finally napped a 3 day tent camping at McGrath in Sta. Barbara for $115. Wife will be ecstatic because it was intent for her birthday this past July but our work schedules got in the way and all state park reservations were taken.

Uh, could it be McGrath State Beach in Oxnard, south of Santa Barbara? I live in Ventura. I like it here but McGrath is not the loveliest spot along the coast. And it's not anywhere near scenic Highway 1. It's right next to Oxnard's big power plant.

Anyhow, I was going to suggest staying in Cambria. It's a darling town, and Nitt Witt Ridge is a must. We've stayed at the Cambria Shores Inn, which is a nice place & very pet friendly. As others mentioned, you'd want to call them directly to get the best possible rate. [www.cambriashores.com]
Date: August 18, 2010 03:48PM
Oh, well, we'll do our best to enjoy it. After all, the best spots require an RVSP 6 months to one year advance. If we could we would rather be camping in Yellowstone, Redwood, Shasta, and the likes smiling smiley It's the time we cannot afford to take off from work. Wife's job doesn't have paid vacation nor holidays sad smiley

SoCal for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2010 03:50PM by kap.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 18, 2010 10:28PM
Cambria was to have been my suggestion, also.

It is what it is.
Date: August 19, 2010 12:07PM
Have a great time. A campsite sounds heavenly!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 110
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020