3. No HD Antenna
4. No 1080p
5. No replacement for BitTorrent

---
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 5 reasons why Apple tv is (still) boring
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 02, 2010 10:40AM
5. No replacement for BitTorrent stealing.

Fixed.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Mac-A-Matic
Date: September 02, 2010 10:41AM
I'm supposed to "rent" tv shows with AppleTV???

BitTorrent has shows the day after, commercials edited, in decent resolution - for FREE. No Apple needed.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: September 02, 2010 11:00AM
jdc

Fixed.

Not always.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: September 02, 2010 11:04AM
M A V I C
jdc

Fixed.

Not always.

Sure, there's "Creative Commons" licensed stuff and even fee-based BT but, please, let's not be naive.

And I'm talking about content here, not Linux distros.

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Date: September 02, 2010 11:08AM
Seacrest
M A V I C
jdc

Fixed.

Not always.

Sure, there's "Creative Commons" licensed stuff and even fee-based BT but, please, let's not be naive.

I'm pretty sure viewing time shifted content where you had access to the original broadcast is legal.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 02, 2010 11:15AM
decay
[www.wired.com]

1. Paltry Selection of TV Shows
2. No iOS
3. No HD Antenna
4. No 1080p

I agree with #1 and #4 to some extent. The first is obvious, the second however would require new copies of iTunes Store content. The current 720p videos aren't exactly high-bitrate anyway, so pining for the magical 1080p isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

#3 is OTA's weak "market share" and then there's the cost of a good ATSC tuner. And software to run it, etc.

#5 I don't think anyone would ever expect Apple to do BitTorrent for many reasons related to revenue, contracts with suppliers, potential legality and just plain ease-of-use, the latter which so many people are curiously very quick to dismiss as valuable.
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 02, 2010 11:18AM
M A V I C
Seacrest
M A V I C
jdc

Fixed.

Not always.

I'm pretty sure viewing time shifted content where you had access to the original broadcast is legal.

Wow! So I could legally rip all the episodes off my friend's boxed set of Lost, for instance? I mean, that's just "time shifted content where I had access to the original content", right?

And if he wasn't so much a friend, but just a guy on the street selling a ripped copy, that would be okay, too, wouldn't it? I'd just be paying him for the time and trouble he went through to get me a copy of free TV, right? TV is free, right?
Date: September 02, 2010 11:33AM
pdq
M A V I C
Seacrest
M A V I C
jdc

Fixed.

Not always.

Wow! So I could legally rip all the episodes off my friend's boxed set of Lost, for instance? I mean, that's just "time shifted content where I had access to the original content", right?

And if he wasn't so much a friend, but just a guy on the street selling a ripped copy, that would be okay, too, wouldn't it? I'd just be paying him for the time and trouble he went through to get me a copy of free TV, right? TV is free, right?

Go look up what the legal definition of time-shifting is. That should answer your questions.

Posted by: pdq
Date: September 02, 2010 11:40AM
M A V I C
pdq
M A V I C
Seacrest
M A V I C
jdc

Fixed.

Not always.

Go look up what the legal definition of time-shifting is. That should answer your questions.

My point is that your definition of time-shifting seems to include downloading copyrighted material off of BitTorrent, stripped of commercials, and I don't think that's legal.
Date: September 02, 2010 12:14PM
pdq
M A V I C
pdq
M A V I C
Seacrest
M A V I C
jdc

Fixed.

Not always.

My point is that your definition of time-shifting seems to include downloading copyrighted material off of BitTorrent, stripped of commercials, and I don't think that's legal.

It's not.
And I'm not making a moral judgment as to whether one does it or not.
I have done it once in a while (really, most television is not worth the trouble, or I'm content to wait for DVDs and such), but 99.9% of what is on BT is unauthorized at best.
Some things you could make a legal argument for "fair use," but it's mostly a way to distribute popular media without paying.

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 02, 2010 12:18PM
M A V I C
pdq
M A V I C
Seacrest
M A V I C
jdc

Fixed.

Not always.

Time Shifting, from itvdictionary:

"You timeshift video or audio programming when you record it and later view it or hear it locally. (If you record programming and later view it somewhere else via a network, then it's both timeshifted and "placeshifted"."

Bittorrent is placeshifting by this definition. Looking up time shifting at other places refers only to local recording and delayed playback, *not* playing back something someone else recorded in some other place and then distributed on the internet.

Have a link to a legal definition of time shifting which takes into account "placeshifting"?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 02, 2010 12:18PM

I'm pretty sure viewing time shifted content where you accessed the original broadcast is legal. You can look that up.

I'm pretty sure you're correct. One *could* have accessed the original broadcast and time-shifted it, legally. That's certainly not the same as accessing somebody else's modified, unlicensed rebroadcast, and downloading it.

Yes, there is absolutely content that is fair game, downloadable free of criminality and attendant guilt. I'm not voting Should/Shouldn't.

I'm just not going to feign naivete.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
As for the original topic...
Date: September 02, 2010 12:47PM
decay
[www.wired.com]

2. No iOS
3. No HD Antenna
4. No 1080p

WTF?
This reminds me of all the dolts who said they would never, EVER buy an iPod until it had FM radio built-in.
(And now, at least the nano does. Big whoop.)

Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: September 02, 2010 01:50PM
I'm not really sure if the author meant to say "HD Antenna" or "ATSC Tuner". A built in tuner would be a welcome addition for watching shows on a computer monitor.

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 02, 2010 02:54PM
ATSC tuner limits you to N. America.

Providing OTA tuners in some other countries gets the end user taxed annually...
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: September 02, 2010 03:29PM
decay
[www.wired.com]

2. No iOS
3. No HD Antenna
4. No 1080p

1. Is there a better legal source for TV shows?
2. It is running iOS
3. true, and no internal storage to store recorded OTA video either--you'd think Apple would do this for $99, right? Everyone else can.
4. has 1080p output. supports 720p30 sources
5. it sure as hell is!
Date: September 02, 2010 03:32PM
Marc Anthony
I'm not really sure if the author meant to say "HD Antenna" or "ATSC Tuner". A built in tuner would be a welcome addition for watching shows on a computer monitor.

AppleTV is made to hook up to your TV.
Seriously, if you have an HDTV without an HDTV tuner these days, WTF are you doing buying an HDMI-only device?

Maybe there's something I'm missing.

Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: September 02, 2010 06:37PM
Seacrest, you are missing that many computer monitors don't have tuners but often have HDMI connections. Newer monitors often outclass the resolution of similarly sized TV's and are also less expensive, which is why I said that having a tuner in the Apple TV would be bonus.

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Posted by: Mac-A-Matic
Date: September 02, 2010 07:23PM
Oh God, those of you who want to argue the legality of BitTorrent need to get off your moral high horse and suck it.

As long as it is available, I will continue to download episodes of Community, The Big Bang Theory and Modern Family and have no concern about doing so. And I will remain grateful to the people who take the time to record, edit and upload the shows.
Posted by: davester
Date: September 02, 2010 10:06PM
Mac-A-Matic
Oh God, those of you who want to argue the legality of BitTorrent need to get off your moral high horse and suck it..

I don't see anyone getting on a moral high horse (In fact, seacrest specifically stated that he was making no moral judgements). Also, there is no argument to be made. It is a simple fact that downloading in the manner you and others here describe is illegal theft of copyrighted material. It is your choice as to whether you wish to participate in such activities. Just don't try to pretend that it is anything other than what it is.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: September 03, 2010 12:57AM
Marc Anthony
Seacrest, you are missing that many computer monitors don't have tuners but often have HDMI connections. Newer monitors often outclass the resolution of similarly sized TV's and are also less expensive, which is why I said that having a tuner in the Apple TV would be bonus.

AppleTV is meant for recent, modern HDTVs on which it is assumed there is a built-in tuner.
All other media player solutions assume the same thing.

If you want a tuner on your monitor, then pony up for an external ATSC tuner like you would whether AppleTV existed or not.

It would be a bonus for Apple to include a tuner with the product, so the lack of one is not a serious drawback.

Also, there is currently no source material that takes advantage of the computer monitor's higher resolution, however, it naturally displays computer visuals better than TVs. But monitors over 30" are pretty darned expensive compared to TVs.

Posted by: anne.jaa31
Date: September 03, 2010 02:06AM
Apple really dropped the ball with Apple TV. What should have been imported into the IOS on the big screen. Allow developers and networks, the ability to write applications for the device are almost all had a turn and must be further solidified IOS installed base. Instead, they gave us a castrated version of the old Apple TV.

islamic banking certificate
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 03, 2010 02:34AM
Oh God, those of you who want to argue the legality of BitTorrent need to get off your moral high horse and suck it..

You need to work on your objectivity and reading comprehension skills.

There is no argument, there is no judgement.

Just don't try to pretend that it is anything other than what it is.[/i

Exactly. It is what it is.

Apple really dropped the ball with Apple TV.

Not at all. They simply chose to appeal to a wider market- the consumer, not the video geek. Yes, Apple could have done a ton of things to the AppleTV. Put a hard drive in it, a USB hub, composite and component outputs, a floppy disk drive, yadda yadda.

But in the end, the average consumer wants a Mr. Coffee, not an Expresso machine. $99 is a good price point in video. And you're not going to get there by throwing in a lot of crap the target audience won't need.

Down the road Apple might open it to app development. But that won't do a thing to help them reach Average Consumer.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: thermarest
Date: September 03, 2010 02:39PM
jdc

Fixed.

I don't want to debate the legality or morality of BitTorrent at all. But, I'd like to point out once again that copyright infringement is simply not stealing. Its copyright infringement. It is not a crime. It is a civil matter between the infringer and the infringed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 172
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020