advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
what would this mean, used G4 pbook?
Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 05, 2010 08:17PM
Turns on, "chimes" and looks like it wants to boot, but only gets to the desktop with no icons and just the mouse pointer.

Healthy logic board so it would seem.
But what would this point to?
I'm trying to find a bottom half for my screen half.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: what would this mean, used G4 pbook?
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 05, 2010 08:41PM
Does it boot from an Install DVD? That would be a better first step and trying to guess what's on this unknown internal hard drive.

From the install DVD you can run Disk Utility and System Profiler to get a better idea about the hardware.

BTW: I wonder if the current state that you describe is a case where thinks there is a second monitor with the menu and icons on that missing monitor, and nothing on the built in screen.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 05, 2010 08:43PM
"BTW: I wonder if the current state that you describe is a case where thinks there is a second monitor with the menu and icons on that missing monitor, and nothing on the built in screen."

mmmmm, good point. I hadn't thought of that possibility.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: September 05, 2010 09:07PM
Fritz
Turns on, "chimes" and looks like it wants to boot, but only gets to the desktop with no icons and just the mouse pointer.

Sounds like a used computer that the owner has no idea how to fix. If you're looking at buying this and it's a good deal for you, buy it. Sounds like something completely simple and fixable with a nuke and pave at the absolute worst (which I'm sure you'd probably do anyway). I love deals that come around just because the owner had no idea how to fix the item.
Posted by: dovetailjoint
Date: September 06, 2010 02:45AM
Can you check display resolution from System Preferences? It may have been changed and pushed icons off the screen?
Posted by: Black
Date: September 06, 2010 08:11AM
Most likely just a hosed OS install-- as suggested a bootable install/restore CD (or external FW drive) would aqnswer that question.
At that stage of startup the OS also polls peripherals, so some chance of something so wrong with the optical drive, or one of the ports, that it freezes.
I've seen similar problems where it did eventually load the desktop after 45 minutes or so . . .

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2010 08:13AM by Black.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 215
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015