advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

AAPL stock: $111.78 ( -0.87 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
What happens if the Republicans win the House, Senate and Presidency
Posted by: Ted King
Date: January 05, 2012 12:13PM
It's a lot of reading, but for progressives/liberals this pretty much lays out a nightmare scenario. Unfortunately, almost everything mentioned is very plausible if not outright probable:

[www.washingtonmonthly.com]
[Each phrase in bold is a headline for an article and is actually a link to that article in the page link above.]

Campaign Promises
What they say is how they’ll govern. By Jonathan Bernstein

The Tea Party
Picking the candidates and writing the agenda. By Dave Weigel

Congress
The good news is… no more gridlock. By Thomas Mann and Norman Ornstein

The Courts
The conservative takeover will be complete. By Dahlia Lithwick

Foreign Affairs
The “more enemies, fewer friends” doctrine. By James Traub

The Environment
The end of the EPA as we know it. By David Roberts

Financial Regulation
Back to the good ol’ days of 2008. By Michael Konczal

Obamacare
It’s toast. By Harold Pollack
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What happens if the Republicans win the House, Senate and Presidency
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: January 05, 2012 12:51PM
The GOP controlled all three houses during the first term of GWB, no?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 05, 2012 01:03PM
They will have done what the commies and terrorists tried to do but couldn't.
Posted by: Grace62
Date: January 05, 2012 01:16PM
the_poochies

Oh yeah, the Tom Delay era, '03 to '05. Good times!
What I mostly recall is the defanging of the EPA and unions, and the Terri Schiavo fiasco.
Date: January 05, 2012 01:24PM
the_poochies

[en.wikipedia.org]

Following the 2000 election, the U.S. Senate was split between 50 Democrat-held seats and 50 Republican-held seats while the Republicans had an extremely slim majority in the House of Representatives. The Vice President, however, is given the constitutional authority as presiding officer in the Senate to break 50-50 ties by casting a deciding vote, so this represented a slim majority for the Republicans. However, this situation changed on May 24, 2001, when the liberal Republican Senator Jim Jeffords switched his party affiliation to become the only Independent senator and announced that he would caucus with the Democrats. This gave the Democrats the hope of out-voting the Republicans on some issues in the Senate.

In the 2002 mid-term elections, Bush campaigned strongly in support of some hand-picked Republican Senatorial candidates in states considered marginal, such as New Hampshire, Missouri, Georgia, Minnesota and South Dakota. According to conservative pundit John Podhoretz, Bush was instrumental in helping to revert Senate control back to the Republicans with a two-seat majority, defying the conventional wisdom that the party in power will lose seats mid-term. Of those marginal states visited by the President, only South Dakota retained its incumbent Democratic Senator. Bush helped to install such reliable conservative stalwarts as Norm Coleman, Saxby Chambliss, John E. Sununu and Jim Talent, defeating, respectively, former Vice-President Walter Mondale, incumbent Max Cleland, Governor Jeanne Shaheen and incumbent Jean Carnahan.

So the Republicans did have effective control of the House and Senate during much of Bush's first term but the Republican party wasn't as far right as it is now. For example, they didn't seem to care at all about budget deficits - putting two wars, extending Medicare prescription benefits and massive tax cuts on the federal credit card without much thought at all. Current Republican majorities would almost certainly do everything they could to rip gaping holes in entitlements and non-military spending to drastically reduce spending to cut the budget deficit - although they would still, no doubt, want to pretend that massive new tax cuts would somehow magically pay for themselves. And though Bush was able to tilt the Supreme Court significantly toward conservative/corporate interests, Romney as president might very well be able to replace two of the more liberal members of the court with staunch conservatives - fairly radically altering judicial interpretation of the Constitution for a long time (think Citizens United type decisions on steroids). Plus the lower courts would be filled with much more conservative justices since the Republicans in the Senate have stalled so many Obama nominees and they may likely get rid of the "hold" maneuver they used to do that so that Democrats could not do the same to Romney nominees to lower courts.

I think the Tea Party type activists in the Republican party would see the controlling of the House, Senate and presidency as a once in a lifetime opportunity to radically shift the politics of the nation and they're likely to scrap historical legislative process "rules" to make sure they do it - in a way Bush and the Republicans at the time never dreamed of doing. I think what you see happening in state governments dominated by Republicans in their legislatures and governorships (e.g., Wisconsin) as an example of that dynamic.
Posted by: billb
Date: January 05, 2012 01:25PM
the_poochies
and people had jobs
Date: January 05, 2012 01:38PM
billb
the_poochies
and people had jobs

Thanks to the Clinton economy.

(and that bounteous government spending by the Republican House, which helps demand, of course.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2012 01:40PM by Grace62.
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 05, 2012 03:02PM
They'll do exactly what they did the last time. They'll forget they ever talked about fiscal restraint, and raid the candy jar until it's empty. If anybody starts asking questions, start a war. Come election time, prattle about social issues that they never get around to actually fixing. Maybe a little welfare reform or union bashing tossed in, because that constituency never votes for them anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2012 03:05PM by Acer.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: January 05, 2012 03:07PM
I agree it will be bad and will get worst. But it won't be as bad or as different as we may think. Things were really bad when Clinton was president; obviously things were bad all through Bush. Things have been bad during the Obama presidency, and that was true when the dems controlled everything and now when the repubs are in charge of the house. The dems would still likely have at least 40 in the Senate even though historically they haven't been very disciplined as a party (in part because a significant number were conservatives elected from the south). So they might do better now after the purge.

Hard right now to think of time in the modern period when things were good politically.
Date: January 05, 2012 03:43PM
michaelb
I agree it will be bad and will get worst. But it won't be as bad or as different as we may think.

Do you say that because you think many of the predictions made in the articles I linked to in the OP aren't likely to happen or because you don't think they add up to things being all that bad?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2012 03:44PM by Ted King.
Posted by: Pops
Date: January 05, 2012 03:54PM
Acer
They'll do exactly what they did the last time. They'll forget they ever talked about fiscal restraint, and raid the candy jar until it's empty. If anybody starts asking questions, start a war. Come election time, prattle about social issues that they never get around to actually fixing. Maybe a little welfare reform or union bashing tossed in, because that constituency never votes for them anyway.

Bingo!
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: January 05, 2012 04:29PM
Grace62
billb
the_poochies
and people had jobs

Thanks to the Clinton economy.

(and that bounteous government spending by the Republican House, which helps demand, of course.)

He's well aware of that. He only posted it to get a reaction.
Date: January 05, 2012 04:40PM
Ted King
It's a lot of reading, but for progressives/liberals this pretty much lays out a nightmare scenario. Unfortunately, almost everything mentioned is very plausible if not outright probable:

Yes, not the direction I want for the country, that's for sure.

That's why I'll be working for Obama's re-election, Maria Cantwell's re-election, and Jay Inslee's election as Governor. (And whatever Dem runs for Jay's newly re-districted seat.)
Posted by: michaelb
Date: January 05, 2012 07:25PM
Ted King
michaelb
I agree it will be bad and will get worst. But it won't be as bad or as different as we may think.

Do you say that because you think many of the predictions made in the articles I linked to in the OP aren't likely to happen or because you don't think they add up to things being all that bad?

i didnt actually read any of the links, sorry.
Date: January 05, 2012 08:32PM
michaelb
Ted King
michaelb

i didnt actually read any of the links, sorry.

Okay. smiling smiley
Posted by: kanesa
Date: January 05, 2012 09:33PM
It's the end of the world as we know it....
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 06, 2012 11:07AM
I personally believe that having one political party 'own' both executive and legislative branch is a Bad Thing.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: January 06, 2012 11:15AM
cbelt3
I personally believe that having one political party 'own' both executive and legislative branch is a Bad Thing.

Divided government and its resulting conservatism is at the core of America's long-term stability. Also, what makes it so hard for progressives. (And reactionaries, but the broad conservatism favors that end of the spectrum. History, on the other hand, favors progressives...)

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2012 11:20AM by rjmacs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 51
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 322 on December 17, 2014