advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

AAPL stock: $100.96 ( -0.83 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Ten years in jail for spitting on a police officer?
Posted by: Grace62
Date: January 15, 2012 04:51PM
This is what I get for reading South Carolina newspapers during primary week. All this other stuff...

[www.goupstate.com]-

Seems kind of excessive. I do get that resisting arrest is serious, but 10 years? The guy has a record but no violent offenses (except this I guess.)

(in my state resisting arrest carries a ninety day jail term and $1,000 fine)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ten years in jail for spitting on a police officer?
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 15, 2012 10:53PM
Here's my guess and it is JUST a guess. 10 years is the maximum sentence in SC for knowingly exposing someone to HIV. And since one of the charges was "transferring bodily fluids" I am extrapolating that Mathis has HIV but it isn't being reported.

Posted by: Pops
Date: January 16, 2012 02:10AM
$tevie
Here's my guess and it is JUST a guess. 10 years is the maximum sentence in SC for knowingly exposing someone to HIV. And since one of the charges was "transferring bodily fluids" I am extrapolating that Mathis has HIV but it isn't being reported.
"Just one more question..."
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 16, 2012 09:04AM
What you're seeing is the cascade of "tough on crime" politicians who pushed for longer and tougher sentences. Three strikes, stuff like that. And of course the long term effect of a life 'in the system' producing a near-psychotic reaction to police.

It's all rather a pity. We take people who are convicted of a crime and turn them into hardened lifelong criminals, rather than useful citizens.
Date: January 16, 2012 11:22AM
$tevie

OK, but you can't transfer HIV through saliva, according to the CDC.

[www.cdc.gov]
Posted by: billb
Date: January 16, 2012 01:48PM
15 years worth of ignored court mercy came due.

Is this a 10 year sentence that like in California nets a few days served ?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 16, 2012 01:48PM
Grace,

That isn't what the text in your link says. Read it again. To summarize, the text says the virus has been detected in spit in extremely low quantities but they haven't recorded a case where an infected person has given HIV to someone by spitting on that individual My reading is the fact that it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it can't happen sometime in the future. "Can't" and "hasn't been recorded" have different meanings and are not the same. Let's just say if an HIV infected person spits in your face, I'm positive you'd get yourself tested for infection following the normal protocols ASAP, especially if the spit gets into your eyes, nose, mouth, etc.

Robert

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2012 01:59PM by Robert M.
Date: January 16, 2012 01:49PM
I'm not talking about facts, I'm talking about a state with a 'transferring bodily fluids' law: where do you think THAT came from? Fear, just in case you didn't get my point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2012 01:49PM by $tevie.
Date: January 16, 2012 02:32PM
There's not really enough information in the article to understand what happened here. The guy has no attorney, he plead guilty very soon after the event happened. As for laws against knowingly transmitting HIV, spitting is not included in that statue in South Carolina (nor anywhere else that I'm aware of.) Maybe there is some separate statute that covers spitting, but 10 years?

In order to transmit HIV through saliva, which does not contain enough virus to infect anyone, the saliva would need to contain blood, and the contact would have to be very close and direct. So unless this officer and the guy were French kissing while the guy's mouth was bleeding, the chance of HIV transmission in this case is zero.
Date: January 16, 2012 02:40PM
Grace,

I don't care about the article. I take issue with the statements your making about the transmission of HIV. What you're presenting and what is presented by the CDC are not the same both in your original statement "OK, but you can't transfer HIV through saliva, according to the CDC." and what you've said in your response to my post.

Robert
Date: January 16, 2012 02:47PM
From the CDC;

"Can HIV be transmitted by spitting on another person?"

No. In some persons living with HIV, the virus has been detected in saliva, but in extremely low quantities. Contact with saliva alone has never been shown to result in transmission of HIV, and there is no documented case of transmission from an HIV-infected person spitting on another person.
Posted by: August West
Date: January 16, 2012 02:50PM
CDC FAQ
Can HIV be transmitted by being spit on by an HIV-infected person?

No. In some persons living with HIV, the virus has been detected in saliva, but in extremely low quantities. Contact with saliva alone has never been shown to result in transmission of HIV, and there is no documented case of transmission from an HIV-infected person spitting on another person.
Date: January 16, 2012 03:15PM
Grace,

The text is conflicting. First they say no. Then they say they detected the virus in extremely quantities. Then they say there have no documented cases of transmission via saliva. But, it isn't unreasonable to say if the virus is in saliva, then the possibility for transmission exists, however slim. Like I said, I'm positive you'd get tested in the event you got spit in the face by someone who is HIV positive, regardless of what is in the text from the CDC web site. I've no doubt in my mind.

Robert

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2012 03:19PM by Robert M.
Date: January 16, 2012 03:33PM
Robert,
The text is quite clear. No means no. You cannot get infected by being spit on by a person who is HIV positive. That's why the question is there, on the website, so people will not worry about that. So no you do not need to get tested if this happens to you.
You also can't get infected if they sneeze on you, or if you accidentally use the same silverware as them.

However, I would ask, Robert, that you please try to refrain from spitting or sneezing on a person who is HIV positive. With their compromised immune system, you could make them ill and it could be dangerous to their health.

Thanks,
Grace
Date: January 16, 2012 04:40PM
Grace,

We'll have to disagree. The moment the CDC says the virus exists in saliva "No" no longer means no because the presence of the virus in saliva opens the door to possible, however unlikely.

"However, I would ask, Robert, that you please try to refrain from spitting or sneezing on a person who is HIV positive. With their compromised immune system, you could make them ill and it could be dangerous to their health."

I don't know if you said this in all seriousness or in jest. Either way, I found it unnecessary and offensive on many levels. I wouldn't spit on anyone, be it a healthy individual or someone with a compromised immune system. Shame on you for making such an offensive comment, even if in jest.

Robert

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2012 05:21PM by Robert M.
Date: January 16, 2012 04:49PM
I did say it was just a guess.

"HIV-specific laws were drafted in the United States earlier in the AIDS epidemic when life expectancy was poor. Reflecting moral panic and poor understanding of HIV transmission risks, their impact is still felt within its borders today. At AIDS 2010, I presented an analysis of criminal cases of non-disclosure, exposure or transmission in the United States during a two-year period, 2007 to 2009, and identified 82 cases of arrest or prosecution.

Just over half of all cases occurred in eight states, all of which had an HIV-specific law: Arkansas, Florida, Illinois, Michigan, Missouri, Ohio, South Carolina and Tennessee.

Three-quarters of cases occurred in the 25 states with HIV-specific laws. Half the cases involved unprotected sex without disclosure but no alleged HIV transmission, and a quarter of all reported cases involved spitting, biting or scratching – activities which pose no risk of HIV transmission."

[aidsmap.com]

Posted by: August West
Date: January 16, 2012 05:22PM
Robert M,

I find your posts puzzling. You summarize the CDC's position inaccurately when you fail to mention the first word they use in response to the question is clearly "No." Then you say that Grace62's response does not reflect the CDC's view. Again, the CDC says NO, as Grace62 reported. Just because you say that when the CDC says no, it does not mean no, that does not change the CDC's postion. I agree that you have your own opinion, but it is not the opinion of the CDC and should not be considered as such. No one misrepresented the CDC's position in this thread.
Date: January 16, 2012 05:30PM
August,

The way the CDC wrote it is puzzling to me because it opens the door to possibility, hence my posts. If the CDC really meant no, they'd leave the possibility out of it. They didn't do that, so I question it. For example, when the CDC says "No", are they saying it is not possible or are they saying it solely because they haven't seen a case of it happening and are concluding it isn't possible? We should start a new thread about it because in looking at where the thread is going, it is no longer on the topic of the original post. My apologies to everyone for digressing and to Grace (and anyone) for implying they were misleading people when, based on the text, that isn't the case (even if I disagree with it).

Robert

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2012 05:36PM by Robert M.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 17, 2012 01:45AM
Robert, you aren't by any chance a marketing exec for a tobacco company, are you?
Date: January 17, 2012 09:12AM
Robert M

I don't know if you said this in all seriousness or in jest. Either way, I found it unnecessary and offensive on many levels. I wouldn't spit on anyone, be it a healthy individual or someone with a compromised immune system. Shame on you for making such an offensive comment, even if in jest.

Robert

That was 100% serious Robert. I am a sister of someone who died from AIDS in 1995. I lived through a decade of ignorant, mean people saying ignorant stuff like "oh no if someone sneezes on me I might catch AIDS!" long after the medical community had determined that AIDS was not spread that way. Long after the public health campaigns. These types of attitudes hurt people who were sick and dying and made what remained of their lives more difficult.
My children were taught about this in 5th grade. I don't know how you've come to adulthood in America without learning about this.

So, Robert, I could not care less if you are offended by my remark about you not sneezing on people with HIV. You'll find that exact same type of comment written by public health officials on their public websites. Because they hope it will get the point across. In fact, that's where I first read it, and I thought it was such an awesome response to comments like the type you made on this thread.
You know why, because people get sick of ignorance.
Date: January 17, 2012 09:21AM
Grace,

Hence my apology for misreading the text, even if I remain unconvinced. However, your comment was still uncalled for, even if we disagree on the matter. It was an unnecessary personal attack, something I would not have expected from you.

Robert
Date: January 17, 2012 09:23AM
Robert M
Grace,

Hence my apology for misreading the text, even if I remain unconvinced. However, your comment was still uncalled for, even if we disagree on the matter. It was an unnecessary personal attack, something I would not have expected from you.

Robert

There is "disagreement" on this matter. You are wrong.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 17, 2012 10:26AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login