advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

AAPL stock: $102.13 ( +1.24 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Any bets on what the Supreme Court will decide re: healthcare law?
Posted by: davester
Date: March 28, 2012 12:52PM
Poll
How will they vote?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
26 votes were received.
They'll throw the entire thing out.8

31%
They'll keep the entire thing.7

27%
They'll rule only the individual insurance mandate unconstitutional.8

31%
They'll rule only the individual mandate and medicaid expansion unconstitutional.3

11%

I've always thought that the republican contribution to the healthcare law (i.e. the individual mandate to buy insurance with no publicly funded options) was a disaster, and bordering on unconstitutional, inserted as a poison pill to bring about this supreme court showdown. Now the poison pill is releasing its toxins and the republican-majority court has to rule.

I think they're probably going to strike down the mandate, but there's really no justification to strike down the rest of the law, except perhaps that little bit about withholding medicaid funds from the states if they don't expand their coverage. I think it would perhaps be not too bad a thing if they strike down the mandate, which would force congress to come up with a way of funding the rest of the law (i.e. by introducing some version of single payer/public option funding). What do you folks think is going to happen?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any bets on what the Supreme Court will decide re: healthcare law?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 28, 2012 12:58PM
Relevant filings to date:
[www.supremecourt.gov]

I don't see them accepting the concept of throwing out the whole baby when he crapped in the bathwater. Some of these writs are too damn broad.
Posted by: haikuman
Date: March 28, 2012 01:09PM
The sad news is an inadequate Health Care System will prevail.
US Tax payers and Americans without insurance will get f#%ke3d again. ymmv

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: March 28, 2012 01:16PM
Most of the court-knowledgeable commentators I've watched seem to think the individual mandate will be upheld. Charlie Rose yesterday had four people on, from different points of view, and they all thought it would stand. But that may have been taped before the oral arguments from yesterday were released, and many think the conservative justices were rather skeptical of the mandate. But still, I wouldn't bet a lot that it will be upheld, but I think it will be.

Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: March 28, 2012 09:55PM
I think the healthcare decision is up to Kennedy and he will side with the conservatives.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 29, 2012 12:44AM
If the Court (Roberts) is really concerned about the perception of it's political bias, it might just allow the mandate. Don't count on that to be the case.
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: March 29, 2012 06:17AM
Roberts is utterly unconcerned about bias on the Supreme Court, especially on a case involving such big donors to Republican candidates.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login