Deals | News | Forums

AAPL stock: $527.15 ( +8.14 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Keith Olbermann Does Not Work and Play Well With Others
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 30, 2012 04:40PM

To the Viewers of Current:

We created Current to give voice to those Americans who refuse to rely on corporate-controlled media and are seeking an authentic progressive outlet. We are more committed to those goals today than ever before.

Current was also founded on the values of respect, openness, collegiality, and loyalty to our viewers. Unfortunately these values are no longer reflected in our relationship with Keith Olbermann and we have ended it.

[www.politico.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Keith Olbermann Does Not Work and Play Well With Others
Date: March 30, 2012 04:41PM

Signs of trouble first appeared when Olbermann did not participate in the network’s coverage of the early primaries. Although he appeared in later broadcasts, the tension leaked into increasingly tough stories detailing Olbermann’s unhappiness with the technical limitations of his New York studio and lack of input into Current’s programming decisions.

Current executives had hoped to head off this kind of warring by giving Olbermann an equity stake and the title of “chief news officer” — making him, in essence a boss. But in the end, that was not enough to keep him from fighting with the network’s top brass.

A source familiar with the situation says Olbermann was fired for breach of contract, including a failure to show up for work, sabotaging the network and attacking Current and its executives.

In January and February, for example, he missed 19 out of 41 working days, including the nights of the Iowa caucus and New Hampshire primary, according to the source. He also rankled executives by asking for a vacation day on March 5th, the eve of Super Tuesday.

[www.politico.com]
Posted by: decay
Date: March 30, 2012 04:41PM
somehow, Spitzer is better?

[en.wikipedia.org]

[www.giyf.com]
Date: March 30, 2012 04:42PM
If he shows up for work and doesn't pick fights with everyone, then yeah, he's better.

Date: March 30, 2012 05:11PM
My guess is Olbermann was used to "cable news" access to guests, technology, and support staff. Being given a title does nothing when the company you work for will not either spring for a trip to one of the states where the primaries are, or a competent live correspondent with presence in the press pools or with any of the candidates.

in tha 510.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: March 30, 2012 05:15PM
How sad to be replaced with someone of Spitzer's ilk.

Olbermann was occasionally eloquent and could make some good points now and then, but he's too much of a prima donna with an Edward R. Murrow wannabe complex.

[www.flickr.com] [picasaweb.google.com]
Posted by: hal
Date: March 30, 2012 05:30PM
Uncle Wig
How sad to be replaced with someone of Spitzer's ilk.

Olbermann was occasionally eloquent and could make some good points now and then, but he's too much of a prima donna with an Edward R. Murrow wannabe complex.

I'll agree - you're more generous than I would be, but it's true that he does have some skill, but I find him such a blowhard that it taints much of the good stuff that he says. I haven't laid eyes on him in 2 years at least and I like it that way...
Posted by: billb
Date: March 30, 2012 06:27PM
<<Current was also founded on the values of respect, openness, collegiality, and loyalty to our viewers.>>
The King of Credibility should sit on that throne perfectly.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: March 30, 2012 06:41PM
[www.politico.com]

for more than a year I have been imploring Al Gore and Joel Hyatt to resolve our issues internally, while I've been not publicizing my complaints, and keeping the show alive for the sake of its loyal viewers and even more loyal staff. Nevertheless, Mr. Gore and Mr. Hyatt, instead of abiding by their promises and obligations and investing in a quality news program, finally thought it was more economical to try to get out of my contract.

It goes almost without saying that the claims against me implied in Current's statement are untrue and will be proved so in the legal actions I will be filing against them presently. To understand Mr. Hyatt's "values of respect, openness, collegiality and loyalty," I encourage you to read of a previous occasion Mr. Hyatt found himself in court for having unjustly fired an employee. That employee's name was Clarence B. Cain...

[findarticles.com]

Philadelphia, the film starring Denzel Washington and Tom Hanks, bears a striking resemblance to a case involving a young Black attorney in Philadelphia who was fired when the law firm where he worked learned he had AIDS.

In the movie, Washington is the attorney for Hanks, who has been diagnosed with AIDS and fired from a big law firm. In real life, Clarence Cain was a Univ. of Virginia law grad fired in 1987 from a regional directorship at the Hyatt Legal Services chain of legal clinics, founded by Joel Hyatt.

Outraged at the way he had been treated in light of his medical condition, Cain retained long-time friend and fellow attorney Richard Silverberg to plead his case. In 1990, a court awarded Cain $157,888 in a discrimination suit...

He may have a good lawsuit, but it's a little weird that he's trying to draw comparisons between himself and Clarence Cain.

Is he suggesting that he was mistreated because of some innate characteristic that Joel Hyatt actively discriminates against? Or that he was fired for having AIDs...? Or what...?
Date: March 30, 2012 06:55PM
He's Keith Olbermann. In the movie in his head, he can't just be fired like anyone else. He has to be fired in a Very Special Way which lets him join the pantheon of martyrs. So that's the script he is running with.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 30, 2012 07:16PM
In Entertainment, it's very important to ensure that your Ego lands feet down. What happens to the rest of you is irrelevant.
Date: March 30, 2012 08:45PM
Spitzer should not be paid to be on TV.

[www.giyf.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2012 08:45PM by decay.
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: March 30, 2012 11:18PM
decay
Spitzer should not be paid to be on TV.

If his previous show is any indication, he won't be for long.

Live from Berserkeley, California | Originally from the City of Brotherly Freakin' Love | WEEEEEEEEEE! Stuff, yo.
Posted by: Surfrider
Date: March 31, 2012 08:17AM
Spitzer is not "pretty" enough for TV, maybe radio, but not TV.
Posted by: Pops
Date: March 31, 2012 10:40AM
Surfrider
Spitzer is not "pretty" enough for TV, maybe radio, but not TV.
For such a slime bag, everyone in the media seems to giving him a huge break and ignoring his whoring around on his wife.
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: March 31, 2012 11:30AM
Pops
For such a slime bag, everyone in the media seems to giving him a huge break and ignoring his whoring around on his wife.

Hey, that's no way to talk about the 42nd President of the United States! ;)
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 31, 2012 12:46PM
Nobody is perfect. It's ok to forgive.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 31, 2012 01:39PM
vision63
Nobody is perfect. It's ok to forgive.

Well, you're wrong! *I'M* prefect!! big grin smiley

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Date: March 31, 2012 10:57PM
lots of people aren't forgiving of Clinton, or Obama...

just sayin'

[www.giyf.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login