advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

AAPL stock: $100.58 ( +0.01 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Busted ? Going to Jail ? Prepare to get NAKED !
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 02, 2012 12:17PM
[www.washingtonpost.com]

"The Supreme Court ruled Monday that those arrested for even minor violations may be strip-searched before being admitted to jail, saying safety concerns outweigh personal privacy rights."

- - - -
Freedoms ? We don't need no stinkin' freedoms.

- - -

ed... derp. Grace already pointed it out.

[forums.macresource.com]

I didn't read the glib Kennedy statement though... Shamefully foolish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2012 12:21PM by cbelt3.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Busted ? Going to Jail ? Prepare to get NAKED !
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: April 02, 2012 12:18PM
If you're uninsured, just don't get sick when you get out of the clink. Then you'll really be left without the clothes on your back.
Posted by: Grace62
Date: April 02, 2012 12:23PM
Just fyi - this what the thread below called "embarrass the future"

is about.

EDIT Oh sorry I see your edit - we were typing at the same time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2012 12:24PM by Grace62.
Posted by: billb
Date: April 02, 2012 12:54PM
If the Federal Government makes executions for everyone mandatory will the strip searches have precedence ?
Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: April 02, 2012 01:02PM
From the NYT article (emphasis mine):
"Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, joined by the court’s conservative wing, wrote that courts are in no position to second-guess the judgments of correctional officials who must consider not only the possibility of smuggled weapons and drugs but also public health and information about gang affiliations."

The court is in no position to judge, eh? Second-guessing the judgment of others is what they're being paid to do. Ri-F'ing-diculous!

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2012 01:06PM by Marc Anthony.
Posted by: Grace62
Date: April 02, 2012 01:06PM
billb
If the Federal Government makes executions for everyone mandatory will the strip searches have precedence ?

Ok if you want to use that as an example of government power:

bill the federal government has a death penalty, as do many states. Which Americans are exempt from having that form of punishment applied to them if they are convicted of that sort of crime? Youths and the mentally disabled only, right? Guess what, a much larger percent of the population is exempt from the health insurance mandate than that.

So executions are "mandatory" for most Americans, if you want to use that language.
Posted by: billb
Date: April 02, 2012 01:08PM
Next they'll want to shave the beards of the Amish and Muslims.
Damn , crime just is so not worth it.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 02, 2012 02:19PM
billb

[articles.cnn.com]

"Twelve members of a breakaway Amish sect were indicted on federal charges for allegedly shaving the beards and cutting the hair of Amish community members, the Justice Department said Tuesday.

A federal grand jury in Cleveland returned a seven-count indictment charging 10 men and two women with conspiracy to violate the Matthew Shepard-James Byrd Hate Crimes Prevention Act. They were also charged with obstruction of justice in the five incidents, which prosecutors said occurred between September and November."

- - -
The Mullet Crime Syndicate was taking over the basket and baked goods rackets previously run by the Yoder and Miller families. big grin smiley
Posted by: Spock
Date: April 02, 2012 02:57PM
cbelt3
The Mullet Crime Syndicate was taking over the basket and baked goods rackets previously run by the Yoder and Miller families. big grin smiley

This lot?

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: btfc
Date: April 02, 2012 05:50PM
billb

Apparently, being innocent is so not worth it either!

[www.washingtonpost.com]

'A New Jersey state trooper pulled over their car as Florence and his family were on their way to his mother-in-law’s to celebrate their new home. He was handcuffed and arrested in front of his distraught, pregnant wife and young son.
He spent seven days in jail because of a warrant that said, mistakenly, he was wanted for failure to pay a court fine. In fact, he carried proof that the fine had been paid years earlier.
And he was strip-searched twice, the humiliation that he says most remains with him six years later.
“I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy,” Florence, 35, said in a recent interview, describing how he was forced to strip with other men and be examined by a guard.
But the question for the Supreme Court next month — when it will weigh an individual’s privacy right against the interest of jailers in maintaining safety and security — is whether such strip searches are unconstitutional.
Florence says that strip-searching him for a minor offense without any reason to believe he was smuggling contraband into the jail violated his Fourth Amendment protection against unreasonable searches and seizures.'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2012 05:51PM by btfc.
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 02, 2012 06:14PM
As long as they don't stick anything up in me, I can take being strip searched.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: April 02, 2012 06:38PM
Funny how the strict constitutionalists on the Court have decided that the 4th amendment really isn't part of the Constitution any more.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Here's an interesting analysis of strict constitutionalism: [pinkocommie.org]
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: April 02, 2012 06:40PM
cbelt3
"Twelve members of a breakaway Amish sect were indicted on federal charges for allegedly shaving the beards and cutting the hair of Amish community members, the Justice Department said Tuesday.

A federal grand jury in Cleveland returned a seven-count indictment charging 10 men and two women with conspiracy to violate the Matthew Shepard-James Byrd Hate Crimes Prevention Act....

Another example of a "hate crime" that could have been prosecuted as a simple assault and battery.

"Intent" is a traditional part of the definition of a crime. "Bad feelings" are not. And for good reason.

Punishing someone for having the wrong feelings is not how you make a functional democracy.
Posted by: mick e
Date: April 03, 2012 06:38AM
vision63

That's what Abner Louima said.

Unpaid Social Liaison

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2012 06:41AM by mick e.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: April 03, 2012 07:38AM
Sam3
Funny how the strict constitutionalists on the Court have decided that the 4th amendment really isn't part of the Constitution any more.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Here's an interesting analysis of strict constitutionalism: [pinkocommie.org]

Exactly.

Let's see what happens when one of the SC justices or a member of their family gets arrested, for a minor offense, and strip searched.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 03, 2012 08:38AM
>>Punishing someone for having the wrong feelings is not how you make a functional democracy.

eh, i think we have much bigger problems.
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 03, 2012 11:32AM
mick e
vision63

I had purged that incident from my brain.
Posted by: samintx
Date: April 03, 2012 08:12PM
I was surprised at this decision and disappointed. Why should you strip for a parking ticket. Loss of freedom IMO
Posted by: Black
Date: April 03, 2012 10:20PM
vision63
mick e
vision63

I had purged that incident from my brain.

And why not? The NYPD has been completely cleaned up as a result.

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login