advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

AAPL stock: $107.37 ( +0.39 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Out on a $4,500 bond after stealing $30 million from a city?
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: April 19, 2012 05:56PM
I don't get why this woman is not in jail. She's out so she can tend her horses?

(CBS/AP) CHICAGO - Authorities say a finance officer for Dixon, Illinois, was able to steal a staggering $30 million from government coffers to run a nationally renowned horse breeding business. Dixon's mayor pledged new measures to protect the city's finances a day after FBI agents arrested longtime comptroller Rita Crundwell.
[www.cbsnews.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Out on a $4,500 bond after stealing $30 million from a city?
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: April 19, 2012 06:13PM
Bail isn't supposed to be set according to the severity or infamy of the crime. The purpose is to set such a figure as to discourage the defendant from skipping town and forfeiting the money.

When judges set high bail on infamous defendants, they are dishonoring their profession.
Date: April 19, 2012 06:15PM
Wouldn't a person facing this type of charge, with millions of dollars in stolen assets and cash hidden who knows where, be a high flight risk?

Why would she care about forfeiting $4,500? May as well have no bail.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2012 06:16PM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: April 19, 2012 06:19PM
The feds have tied up all her assets, and if she is that devoted to her horses she isn't going to go anywhere. I can see why the judge decided she is not a flight risk.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 19, 2012 07:11PM

VTPKL it!
Posted by: Spock
Date: April 19, 2012 11:00PM
Punishment by incarceration should take place after conviction, not before. Presumption of innocence ... anybody?

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Date: April 20, 2012 07:49AM
That's a given, Spock. We were talking about the bail. It's a different matter.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 20, 2012 09:31AM
Gute-
You're working from a common misconception that Bail is somehow an 'advanced fine'. It's not. It is merely a 'guarantee' that the defendant will show up for her trial.

Note also that the defendant quite probably does *not* have any property to post for bail, since the city quite probably filed liens against everything she 'owns'...... because it was purchased with stolen city funds. And she probably lost her job. Pension. City Car. Yadda yadda yadda. Heck, she's gonna be filing for food stamps.

And finally, it's a HELL of a lot cheaper to let people out on bail than to keep them in jail for months awaiting trial. Trial only takes place the day after arrest when you're watching TV.
Date: April 20, 2012 10:31AM
No. I am not. Read what I wrote. The bail is a guarantee of appearance. I know that. I never said it is NOT a guarantee of appearance. Read what I wrote above.
Date: April 20, 2012 10:39AM
(in illinois last month) (MCT) — A 64-year-old man was ordered held in lieu of $750,000 bail today after he called 311 and threatened Mayor Rahm Emanuel, prosecutors said.

George Zimmerman, freed on $150K bond today.

Something doesn't make sense in all those numbers, seems like something else is going on besides dollars related to flight risk and perceived assets of the accused.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 20, 2012 11:07AM
Gute... Oops. Sorry. You're right, I must have fuzzed out there.

Drop... I dunno. Each court has different rules and laws for setting bond and bail. All I know about is is the $500 cash my wife had to post to get me out of jail when I forgot to pay a traffic ticket.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 20, 2012 01:02PM
Bond is set on a case-by-case basis, not by comparisons.

In Zimmerman's case, there were a series of things which were factored in:

Defense attorney Mark O'Mara had asked for $15,000 bond. He stated Zimmerman had turned himself in, has been in constant contact with Florida law enforcement since the incident, and was well established in the community. Assistant State Attorney Bernardo de la Rionda asked that if the judge decided to set bond, to make it $1 million.
As part of the conditions of his potential release, Judge Kenneth Lester instructed that Zimmerman not be allowed to possess firearms of any kind, nor can he use alcohol or have any contact with the Martin family. The judge imposed a curfew from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. on Zimmerman and said he should be fitted with a GPS monitoring device. He said that if Zimmerman and his attorney can work it out with the sheriff's department, he had no objection to Zimmerman residing out of state before the trial begins.
[www.cbsnews.com]

As for the guy who threatened Emanuel, he's evidently a kook who has done this before, and they probably deliberately set a high enough bail so that he can't raise it.

The horse-loving embezzler probably seemed like a low flight risk, given the reasons Gutenberg mentioned. It was in fact a recognizance bond, which indicates the judge thinks it's a safe bet she's not going anywhere.

Posted by: JPK
Date: April 20, 2012 03:02PM
Scream for justice, innocence until proven guilty, due process and a trial by your peers unless you don't agree with it and then its lock em up and throw away the key!

If guilty, make the punishment harsh. Until then, shouldn't we apply the law?

Our justice system should not be arbitrary like the NHL is! It is not based on the extent of the injury, but the law.

JPK
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login