advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
SCOTUS rulings on immigration, juvenile sentencing, and campaign financing
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 25, 2012 11:27AM
The Supreme court issued three rulings today, all worthy of mention.

first and the biggest spotlight is on it's ruling overturning key parts of Arizona's immigration law. While SCOTUS did uphold the rule that law enforce must try to verify a suspects immigration status, it killed three other parts -
One making it a crime for an illegal immigrant to work or to seek work in Arizona;
One which authorized state and local officers to arrest people without a warrant if the officers have probable cause to believe a person is an illegal immigrant;
And one that made it a state requirement for immigrants to register with the federal government.

Further challenges to the law are still working through the legal system. But this has effectively gutted the law.

Next up was determining that life without parole for a juvenile offender is cruel and unusual punishment. Nationwide less than 100 juveniles are serving such a sentence but this gives hope to them. While I feel for the victim's, I also know that who a person is at 14 is very seldom the same as who that person is at 30. There had to be some road to recovery for maturing with age.

Finally, by a 5-4 summery reversal (meaning the majority did not care to even hear arguments) the court strengthen its ruling that allows corporate spending on political campaigns as covered by free speech.

I expect candidates to soon be officially sponsored by corporations (currently it is all unofficial).

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: SCOTUS rulings on immigration, juvenile sentencing, and campaign financing
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 25, 2012 11:30AM
corporations are people too!

Posted by: Pam
Date: June 25, 2012 11:51AM
I just wish candidates would wear the logos of their sponsors. Like a NASCAR vehicle.
Posted by: Spock
Date: June 25, 2012 12:14PM
Pam
I just wish candidates would wear the logos of their sponsors. Like a NASCAR vehicle.

It should be mandatory, especially once they are elected.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: June 25, 2012 12:43PM
Pam

That'd be a lot more honest, for sure.

I like the immigration ruling, the DoJ must be pleased with that, at least in part. The court clearly shut down Arizona's attempt to step into areas of immigration enforcement that are federal, not state. As for police stopping people on suspicion of illegal immigration status, the court was very cautious on that and implied that it could also be overturned later, based on lawsuits after the law takes effect. (Such lawsuits are already making their way through federal courts.)

Message to other states: this law was out of bounds and unwise, and now according to the SCOTUS, unconstitutional.
Posted by: Avenger
Date: June 25, 2012 01:15PM
"this law", as you put it, was known to the public as "show me your papers" law. It stands.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 25, 2012 01:26PM
That's the FOX News spin on it.

Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 25, 2012 01:27PM
Correction: That's the FOX News spin on it for non-Latino viewers.

Date: June 25, 2012 01:58PM
The court ruled that they don't have enough information to determine if the "show my your papers" provisions will result in civil rights violations, or not. They are waiting for the various lawsuits in progress now to filter through. Their decision is anything but a stamp of approval for that provision. The first case of civil rights abuse that winds through and is upheld, that provision goes, along with the other parts of this unconstitutional, unnecessary law that has wasted millions of Arizona public dollars so far. Other states, Texas especially, now see that they don't want to waste their own resources on something similar.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 25, 2012 02:03PM
#1- That's an improvement.
#2- Minor issue. (ick... pun NOT intended).
#3- Crap. Thanks, SCOTUS. Can Congress get their thumbs out and do something about this ? Oh.. wait.. yeah. money talks. Fisk.
Posted by: billb
Date: June 25, 2012 02:21PM
vote to remove

not enough conservative activist bias whining

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: beagledave
Date: June 25, 2012 02:26PM
$tevie
Correction: That's the FOX News spin on it for non-Latino viewers.

Other than that, how was the play Mr. Lincoln?

I LOVE FoxNews.
Posted by: beagledave
Date: June 25, 2012 02:28PM
billb
vote to remove

not enough conservative activist bias whining

Well thank Jeebus we have Avenger/Dakota back to pick up the slack in OTHER threads.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 25, 2012 03:12PM
Lemon Drop
I like the immigration ruling, the DoJ must be pleased with that, at least in part. The court clearly shut down Arizona's attempt to step into areas of immigration enforcement that are federal, not state.

It was even a bigger win for the federal government, actually - the Secure Communities program is entirely protected by this ruling. This program allows the feds to 'deputize' local law enforcement to check immigration status and detain presumed unauthorized immigrants until federal agents pick them up. So, it cuts out local action that isn't sanctioned by the feds, and protects local action that is part of a federally designed program.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: June 25, 2012 03:33PM
The biggest losers are the ice cream parlors.
Date: June 25, 2012 03:37PM
Lemon Drop
They are waiting for the various lawsuits in progress now to filter through.

And none shall be found. This is just to calm down the base. Before the ruling they were told don't worry, the Supreme Court will overturn the law. Now they are told, don't worry, they will overturn it later. Sheriff Arpaio would have been recalled, impeached and put in jail by now. In fact, he said he didn't need this ruling because he has been doing it for years without it.
Date: June 25, 2012 04:38PM
Changes very little. Arizona spent money defending this, they will spend money enforcing. Feds will do the same thing they've always done. Big waste of Arizona tax dollars, and that's why you won't see other states jumping on this bandwagon any time soon.

"The court's ruling upheld one key provision of the law -- requiring officers to make a reasonable attempt to determine the immigration status of a person stopped, detained or arrested if there's reasonable suspicion that person is in the country illegally -- but federal immigration officials will take action only if they conclude that the suspect is a violent criminal, has repeatedly violated immigration laws or recently crossed the border without authorization, a Department of Homeland Security official said in a conference call on Monday.

"We will not allow a state to set our enforcement priorities," said the official, who spoke on behalf of the administration. "We will not be issuing detainers on individuals unless they clearly meet our defined priorities."

According to his quotes in this article, that's a big disappointment to Sheriff Joe, who wants to lock up as many "non-charged" immigrants as he can.

Read more: [www.azcentral.com]
Date: June 25, 2012 04:52PM
It is a sad day that the Federal government boasts and takes pride in not enforcing its own laws. I still say the biggest losers are the ice cream parlors.
Posted by: Manlove
Date: June 25, 2012 07:02PM
Corporations are not only people too, they are really important people that even the people who uphold (theoretically) the Constitution of these great states, will not @#$%& with! Good luck individual citizens.

edit- I love the idea that politicians should wear their sponsorship on their person.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2012 07:03PM by Manlove.
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 26, 2012 06:29PM
"I still say the biggest losers are the ice cream parlors."

Nope. Trolls and sock puppets are the biggest losers, hands down.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 108
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018