advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Do increased taxes, regulation and anti smoking measures reduce smoking levels?
Posted by: beagledave
Date: June 26, 2012 10:33AM
Survey says yes

Rather astonishing comparison between California and Alabama.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Do increased taxes, regulation and anti smoking measures reduce smoking levels?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 26, 2012 10:41AM
NANNY STATE!!!!

Re: Do increased taxes, regulation and anti smoking measures reduce smoking levels?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 26, 2012 10:53AM
I've always felt that tobacco taxes were a weird 'control' method... the government (and the majority of the governed) want people to not smoke, but they are also addicted to...

the money.

Date: June 26, 2012 11:13AM
cbelt3
the government (and the majority of the governed) want people to not smoke, but they are also addicted to...

the money.

what does that mean?

Posted by: beagledave
Date: June 26, 2012 11:20AM
mattkime
cbelt3
the government (and the majority of the governed) want people to not smoke, but they are also addicted to...

the money.

what does that mean?

It's a fair point. IF the ultimate goal of the health community was reached, there would be no revenue from tobacco products that go to fund some programs (like Medicare in Illinois).

Of course, how much would the overall societal "cost" of smoking be reduced along the way?
Posted by: billb
Date: June 26, 2012 11:49AM
cbelt3
but they are also addicted to...

the money.

]
Given the sin tax rate increases in some places that chart would seem to indicate sales are down. (Just kinda looked at Ma. real quick)

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: June 26, 2012 12:10PM
I think government's role in getting Americans to stop smoking and to protect them from second hand smoke has been nothing but a huge success, and of course efforts are continuing.

Now onto obesity. Sugar industry, you're next.
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 26, 2012 01:15PM
If they were "addicted to the money" then I'd expect them to encourage smoking, and that is certainly not the trend in legislation.

If you want an example of active encouragement of a dubious activity to enhance a "sin" tax, look at gambling.
Date: June 26, 2012 01:45PM
According to the CDC those states with aggressive cessation campaigns have had the greatest gains.

1 in 5 people still smoke, so keep telling them they smell disgusting. :-)
[www.cdc.gov]

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]
Date: June 26, 2012 02:19PM
i've grown increasingly intolerant of smokers.

"why are you still doing that??"

Posted by: hal
Date: June 26, 2012 03:52PM
When I was in my 20s living in california, most people I knew smoked. Now, 50, no one I call a friend smokes. No one in my family smokes and the only people that I do know that smoke are idiots (for other reasons) - with one exception - just one.

Things have changed remarkably since the 80s. ANd now I see the cancer numbers are showing it too - no surprise here...

"I think government's role in getting Americans to stop smoking and to protect them from second hand smoke has been nothing but a huge success"

state, city & counties - yes, but the feds still get a thumbs down from me...
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: June 26, 2012 09:07PM
I expect that cigarette taxes discourage people from starting to smoke, and that's good. I don't have any stats to back that up but it seems reasonable to me.
Posted by: Avenger
Date: June 26, 2012 09:14PM
Lemon Drop
I think government's role in getting Americans to stop smoking and to protect them from second hand smoke has been nothing but a huge success, and of course efforts are continuing.

Now onto obesity. Sugar industry, you're next.

What do you like to eat? I'd like that banned. Let's see how you like it.
Date: June 26, 2012 09:24PM
Gutenberg
I expect that cigarette taxes discourage people from starting to smoke, and that's good. I don't have any stats to back that up but it seems reasonable to me.

I see this in research all the time. You come up with a hypothesis that you think should work then look for data to support it or report only that supports the theory. I know a lot of smokers. I have yet to see one quit because cigarettes cost too much.

And you said high prices "should" work"? Think again.

Surgeon general declares youth smoking an 'epidemic'

"Among U.S. high school seniors, one in four is a regular cigarette smoker, and because few high school smokers are able to quit, some 80 percent will continue to smoke as adults, according to the report released on Thursday."

[www.chicagotribune.com]
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: June 26, 2012 10:16PM
Avenger

whatever
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 26, 2012 10:28PM
Higher rates of smoking correlated with lower rates of formal education, according to the Gallup organization. [www.livescience.com]

Perhaps instead of higher cigarette taxes, we should increase funding for formal education. Would conservatives prefer we did it that way?
Date: June 26, 2012 10:53PM
that'll work

[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 27, 2012 12:23AM
As California's cig taxes have increased the revenue from tax has declined. Must be them Mexican cigs smuggled across the border that's kept them left coasters smoking at the same rate.
Date: June 27, 2012 06:36AM
Avenger
I know a lot of smokers. I have yet to see one quit because cigarettes cost too much.
I've known a couple.

so THERE!

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 27, 2012 08:18AM
Acer
Higher rates of smoking correlated with lower rates of formal education, according to the Gallup organization. [www.livescience.com]

Perhaps instead of higher cigarette taxes, we should increase funding for formal education. Would conservatives prefer we did it that way?

Acer-
In Ohio the 'sin' taxes were supposed to go towards education. Of course... when the pigs see slop in another trough, they trot over and stick their snouts in. So the politicians spent it all buying votes.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 27, 2012 10:47AM
Knowing people who don't quit smoking because of high prices has NOTHING to do with people who never start smoking because of high prices. Nothing whatsoever.

Posted by: michaelb
Date: June 27, 2012 02:40PM
This is a very well established economic theory, that is true both for cigarettes and for almost any other good or service. So there is simply no question that increasing taxes reduces consumption, it is only a question of how much.

I otherwise agree that this has been a tremendous success. In the past, even the 80s or 90s, smokers and smoking was widespread. Now, I see and experience almost no smoking in my life at all, anywhere. My kids will grow up in a world in which very few smoke and smoking won't be occurring anywhere they go.
Date: June 27, 2012 08:40PM
$tevie
Knowing people who don't quit smoking because of high prices has NOTHING to do with people who never start smoking because of high prices. Nothing whatsoever.

I guess you missed my link on the epidemy of teen smoking. Smoking is still cheap.
Date: June 27, 2012 08:41PM
michaelb
This is a very well established economic theory, that is true both for cigarettes and for almost any other good or service. So there is simply no question that increasing taxes reduces consumption, it is only a question of how much.

I otherwise agree that this has been a tremendous success. In the past, even the 80s or 90s, smokers and smoking was widespread. Now, I see and experience almost no smoking in my life at all, anywhere. My kids will grow up in a world in which very few smoke and smoking won't be occurring anywhere they go.

You too missed the link. Read it then opine.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 27, 2012 09:11PM
I was responding to your statement about your friends who can't quit, not the article. I am still right that you were arguing apples instead of oranges, regardless of what your link says.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2012 09:11PM by $tevie.
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: June 28, 2012 07:57AM
The teenage smoking rate was higher in 1974--37 percent among 12th graders in 1974. So the rate is declining, and there is an interesting chart showing the teenage smoking rate rising from 1990-96. States started taxing the hell out of tobacco in the mid 90s. See the the decline on the chart? Could be a correlation there. See page 2 of the monograph.

[cancercontrol.cancer.gov]
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 29, 2012 04:26AM
My wife couldn't quit. I always associated smoking with lung cancer and emphysema and have been nagging her for years.

The reason I haven't been here lately is that I'm home nursing her after what was to be a double vascular bypass on both legs turned into a third aortic bypass and aneurysm repair. She can't get into or out of a chair, bed, toilet or shower on her own. She's nauseous and incontinent and after a week, not improving.

Every vascular surgeon we've talked with has unequivocally put the blame of plaque buildup on smoking cigarettes. They also indicated that this is only tip of the iceberg in that they can only go fix the life threatening build ups as they occur.

She should expect her entire vascular system is compromised and hope it doesn't exhibit anytime soon. She won't survive another vascular operation of this magnitude.

She couldn't stop smoking before, she will now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 229
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018