advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Oreo steps in to the fray.
Posted by: beagledave
Date: June 26, 2012 11:22AM

Good for them.

And expect "One Million Moms" to add them to the boycott list in 5-4-3-2.....
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Oreo steps in to the fray.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 26, 2012 11:24AM
I saw that earlier. It's very cool. Thanks for posting it!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2012 11:24AM by $tevie.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: June 26, 2012 11:41AM
'Shopped

wall smiley
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 26, 2012 12:16PM
I hate to break the news, but when a company "steps in to the fray", it's because they think it's good for business, not because they believe in some cause.
Posted by: Grace62
Date: June 26, 2012 12:32PM
freeradical
I hate to break the news, but when a company "steps in to the fray", it's because they think it's good for business, not because they believe in some cause.

That's not the case with Kraft. Personally I think it's a really good sign if Kraft thinks their public support for gay marriage is "good for business."
Kraft has actively supported gay rights for many years, going back at least a decade or so. Like a number of other large corporations they've been leading on this issue, and not just following popular opinion. Corporations have a direct interest in protecting their employees and in competing for the very best employees, so discrimination is something they generally want to avoid.
Date: June 26, 2012 12:35PM
freeradical

And if they think it's good for business, that means that LGBT is now mainstream, which is something to celebrate in my book.

Posted by: billb
Date: June 26, 2012 12:51PM
freeradical
Tend to jump "out" rather than "in" though.
"In" usually costs only a few bucks.
"out" is making a statement.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: June 26, 2012 01:13PM
freeradical

Maybe so, but if the CEO & board are opposed to some cause, the company will not support it.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 26, 2012 01:21PM
Sounds like Corporations having political opinions and being able to express them is a good thing ? devil smiley
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: June 26, 2012 01:40PM
Grace62
freeradical

That's not the case with Kraft. Personally I think it's a really good sign if Kraft thinks their public support for gay marriage is "good for business."
Kraft has actively supported gay rights for many years, going back at least a decade or so. Like a number of other large corporations they've been leading on this issue, and not just following popular opinion. Corporations have a direct interest in protecting their employees and in competing for the very best employees, so discrimination is something they generally want to avoid.

Welcome back Grace62 - been missing you around here...
Date: June 26, 2012 01:57PM
cbelt3
Sounds like Corporations having political opinions and being able to express them is a good thing ? devil smiley

Oreo doesn't give money to LGBT pacs. They just ran an ad, that's all.

Posted by: Manlove
Date: June 26, 2012 02:33PM
Being homosexual is not political.
Showing support of homosexuals is political.
Is actively opposing someone because of their sexuality a political act?
Is it a political act to show support of someone because of their sexuality?

Or do they just want to make money?
Posted by: August West
Date: June 26, 2012 02:40PM
Thomas Mann says hello.
Date: June 26, 2012 03:02PM
ml-
Damn near everything until November 6th is being taken as a political act. Or can be happily commented on as a political act. Hell... any public discussion of female anatomy has all of a sudden become a political act. Stupid is breaking out all over the place.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 26, 2012 03:13PM
SDGuy

agree smiley

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Black
Date: June 26, 2012 03:22PM
freeradical

Strange how the above statement was received as fact. There's just no way you can generalize like this with any accuracy.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: June 26, 2012 03:59PM
$tevie
cbelt3

$tevie, oh true, true. But ads cost money.

And of course JC Penney's ads cost money. (I liked them.. they were cute and in excellent taste).
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: June 26, 2012 04:05PM
Although they often suck at it, businesses are supposed to look to the future.

It seems they feel the future is moving in a certain direction, and they want to be on the right side. Because that's good for business.
Date: June 26, 2012 04:41PM
cbelt3
$tevie
cbelt3

$tevie, oh true, true. But ads cost money.

And of course JC Penney's ads cost money. (I liked them.. they were cute and in excellent taste).

But I disagree with you that it is "corporate political opinion". It's about companies going after a target demographic, one which as a group is considered by Madison Avenue to have a large amount of disposable income. And in the wake of that ship is the large amount of straight people who will respond positively also. I really cannot see how this is remotely similar to the Koch brothers giving money to Scott Walker, which is the kind of thing I think you were alluding to.

The threat of boycotts has begun. Let's hope this boycott enjoys all the success of the One Million Moms boycott against Penney's and the Southern Baptist Convention's boycott against Disney. smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: davester
Date: June 26, 2012 04:51PM
freeradical

This is an opinion, not a fact. I think this opinion is in many cases wrong and I believe there are many examples of it being wrong.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2012 04:51PM by davester.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: June 26, 2012 05:17PM
Of companies and closets

Good article from the Economist.

"What caused this corporate revolution? Pressure groups such as HRC (Human Rights Campaign) and Britain’s Stonewall can take some of the credit. But mostly it happened because changing attitudes in society at large have reduced the cost of being gay-friendly, and raised the rewards. A generation ago in the West, creating a gay-friendly workplace might have upset heterosexual staff. Now it probably won’t. But failing to treat gays equally is very likely to drive them to seek employment elsewhere. Since they are perhaps 5-10% of the global talent pool, bigotry makes a firm less competitive."
Posted by: hal
Date: June 26, 2012 05:23PM
davester
freeradical

This is an opinion, not a fact. I think this opinion is in many cases wrong and I believe there are many examples of it being wrong.

I think that one thing that IS fact is that public companies have to answer to shareholders and if a move such as this can be proven to have had a negative effect on the bottom line, those responsible for the decision will take heat - ESPECIALLY if right wing nuts are shareholders.

So I will enter a supposition that any higher up in any public company MUST consider the bottom line before proceeding with the plan...
Date: June 26, 2012 06:44PM
This could never have happened even ten years ago. Maybe five years ago. It's a GOOD thing.

Posted by: Spock
Date: June 26, 2012 06:56PM
beagledave

What color will it turn the milk?

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: billb
Date: June 26, 2012 08:02PM
Spock
beagledave

What color will it turn the milk?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: decay
Date: June 26, 2012 08:21PM
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: A-Polly
Date: June 26, 2012 10:46PM

SDGuy wrote:

graylocks wrote:
agree smiley

Same here! Glad to see you back.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 27, 2012 12:15AM
Grace62
freeradical

Hey! The all-knowing schoolmarm is back. Hi Grace - missed you.
Posted by: Avenger
Date: June 27, 2012 08:38PM
If you have to hold a "pride" parade at every turn then you probably aren't thay proud. Same goes when you have to say I am not a crook.
Posted by: Manlove
Date: June 27, 2012 09:01PM
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."
Avenger, so you aren't proud to be an American?
Got any flags knocking around your gaff?
Well, do ya?
Do I remember a tagline of yours with a Harley and flags? Might be wrong, but something like that.
Posted by: beagledave
Date: June 27, 2012 09:37PM
Avenger
If you have to hold a "pride" parade at every turn then you probably aren't thay proud. Same goes when you have to say I am not a crook.

You're a flippin' genius, you are.
[www.chicagostpatsparade.com]

[nycstpatricksparade.org]

[www.sfcolumbusday.org]

[www.pulaskiparade.org]

[www.mardigrasneworleans.com]
Posted by: Avenger
Date: June 28, 2012 08:14AM
Manlove
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."
Avenger, so you aren't proud to be an American?
Got any flags knocking around your gaff?
Well, do ya?
Do I remember a tagline of yours with a Harley and flags? Might be wrong, but something like that.

It was not a Harley and I have no flag on it.
Posted by: decay
Date: June 28, 2012 08:28AM
this always cracks me up!

[www.theonion.com]

"Gay-Pride Parade Sets Mainstream Acceptance Of Gays Back 50 Years"

"I'd always thought gays were regular people, just like you and me, and that the stereotype of homosexuals as hedonistic, sex-crazed deviants was just a destructive myth," said mother of four Hannah Jarrett, 41, mortified at the sight of 17 tanned and oiled boys cavorting in jock straps to a throbbing techno beat on a float shaped like an enormous phallus. "Boy, oh, boy, was I wrong."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 206
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018