advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Individual mandate is gone according to CNN. (update: CNN screws up initial report)
Posted by: beagledave
Date: June 28, 2012 09:08AM
Here we go...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2012 09:17AM by beagledave.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Individual mandate is gone according to CNN.
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: June 28, 2012 09:13AM
Live Blog @ SCOTUS Blog [www.scotusblog.com]

Date: June 28, 2012 09:13AM
beagledave
Here we go...
\

And now CNN is saying "whoops we may have reported that wrong"
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: June 28, 2012 09:15AM
I'm shocked. The Supremes made the right decision, at least on the major part.
Date: June 28, 2012 09:16AM
Now CNN is reporting that Roberts says that the individual mandate "may" be upheld as a narrowly defined tax issue.

And now they are saying that the entire law has been UPHELD.

Holy @#$%&.

CNN are idiots.
Date: June 28, 2012 09:20AM
I am gobsmacked that Roberts was the deciding vote. Holy smoke!
Date: June 28, 2012 09:21AM
Gutenberg
I am gobsmacked that Roberts was the deciding vote. Holy smoke!

It is quite amazing.
Re: Individual mandate is gone according to CNN. (update: CNN screws up initial report)
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: June 28, 2012 09:27AM
How did CNN report on the 1948 Presidential Election?
Re: Individual mandate is gone according to CNN. (update: CNN screws up initial report)
Date: June 28, 2012 09:43AM
I guarantee you that the line producer is in the bathroom throwing up at this very moment. Nothing is as stomach-churning as an error of fact and substance.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 28, 2012 09:43AM
HA ha!

Date: June 28, 2012 09:45AM
[www.globalpost.com]

Posted by: Acer
Date: June 28, 2012 09:53AM
$tevie
HA ha!
Posted by: Kiva
Date: June 28, 2012 10:04AM
I would love to hear the backstory on this (it may take 25 years). Did Roberts side with the liberal wing because he is acting in such a manner that the lifetime appointment allows: that, once in, they are beholden to no political party? Or, is there some other game here?

Either way, from this point, I will not be automatically putting Roberts in the wingnut column. Scalia & Thomas - hopeless lunatics. However, this Roberts fellow has become quite interesting....

----------------------
Date: June 28, 2012 10:08AM
Roberts stitched himself a fig leaf with the first page of his opinion:

"We do not consider whether the Act embodies sound policies. That judgment is entrusted to the Nation's elected leaders. We ask only whether Congress has the power under the Constitution to enact the challenged provisions."
Date: June 28, 2012 10:12AM
Gutenberg

"We do not consider whether the Act embodies sound policies. That judgment is entrusted to the Nation's elected leaders. We ask only whether Congress has the power under the Constitution to enact the challenged provisions."

ha! I was just about to post that quote...

----------------------
Date: June 28, 2012 10:20AM
Fox News apparently blew it as well.

Date: June 28, 2012 10:24AM
Kiva
I would love to hear the backstory on this (it may take 25 years). Did Roberts side with the liberal wing because he is acting in such a manner that the lifetime appointment allows: that, once in, they are beholden to no political party? Or, is there some other game here?

Either way, from this point, I will not be automatically putting Roberts in the wingnut column. Scalia & Thomas - hopeless lunatics. However, this Roberts fellow has become quite interesting....

I posted in another thread that a number of commentators say that Roberts went this direction because of even more contentious cases coming up next term (voter rights etc...) where he will likely veer back to the hard right.

Date: June 28, 2012 10:36AM
Gutenberg

Isn't that what their job description is, in a nut shell? To determine Constitutionality, and not whether or not they think it's a good idea?

They have also ruled against Stolen Valor Act today: it may be cheesy and disgusting, but yes, under our Constitution you can pretend you won a Medal of Honor.

Posted by: Ted King
Date: June 28, 2012 10:42AM
lafinfil
Kiva

I posted in another thread that a number of commentators say that Roberts went this direction because of even more contentious cases coming up next term (voter rights etc...) where he will likely veer back to the hard right.

I read speculation that Roberts may have judged the way he did because the four dissenting judges were in favor of throwing out the whole law and he might have been concerned about how badly that would go over. Hard to say if there is anything to that, but it does sound plausible.
Date: June 28, 2012 10:50AM
I've also read that Roberts is interested in working towards a legacy of being the Chief Justice who re-established that the courts do not need to obey any party's agenda but rather are independent arbiters of justice.

Date: June 28, 2012 10:54AM
Posted by: swampy
Date: June 28, 2012 11:08AM
Romney's campaign raised over $300K in the hour following the announcement. The Dow fell about 170 points.

If you don't stand for something, you'll probably fall for anything.t

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2012 11:09AM by swampy.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: June 28, 2012 11:11AM
Good decision - great day for health care in America.
Onward. much more work to be done.

As for Romney, he needs all the help he can get. He's dying in the swing states.
Date: June 28, 2012 11:16AM
swampy
Romney's campaign raised over $300K in the hour following the announcement.

Did Sheldon Adelson clean the change out of his many couches ?

Date: June 28, 2012 11:17AM
It's ironic that people have to run to the inventor of Romneycare to try to be protected from Obamacare, given that they are practically the same thing. Mitt looks like a jackass, honestly.

Posted by: August West
Date: June 28, 2012 11:38AM
agree smiley
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 28, 2012 01:21PM
swampy
Romney's campaign raised over $300K in the hour following the announcement. The Dow fell about 170 points.

Really? It must be Thursday.
Posted by: hal
Date: June 28, 2012 01:52PM
beagledave
Now CNN is reporting that Roberts says that the individual mandate "may" be upheld as a narrowly defined tax issue.

And now they are saying that the entire law has been UPHELD.

Holy @#$%&.

CNN are idiots.

I heard a story on NPR yesterday about the quest for immediate understanding of what was expected to be a lengthy conclusion and that one service used by news organizations promised 'instant' digestion of the announcement. SOMEONE screwed up... likely being fired about now...
Posted by: AllGold
Date: June 28, 2012 02:42PM
$tevie
I've also read that Roberts is interested in working towards a legacy of being the Chief Justice who re-established that the courts do not need to obey any party's agenda but rather are independent arbiters of justice.

Wouldn't that be something?!

Date: June 28, 2012 02:46PM
Date: June 28, 2012 02:48PM
interesting stuff on scotusblog about what this does to the commerce clause. Ginsberg read from the bench on that...this is going to have an impact for a long time and in who knows what manner...

----------------------
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: June 28, 2012 02:55PM
swampy
The Dow fell about 170 points.

Poor swampy. Looks like the Dow will close above where it was before the announcement.

This means about as much as the drop.

i.e. nothing. I hope you leave your investments to a professional/

Are you going to post the Urkel pic again? The one that only shows the market until March 2009?
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 29, 2012 05:22AM
swampy

Says the lady who owes her own good health to availability of a government program.
Posted by: Avenger
Date: June 29, 2012 09:14AM
Make that $4.5mil
Date: June 29, 2012 09:40AM
Everything's okay today. The Chicken Littles on Wall Street are all happy again because Italy beat Germany in the Eurozone 2012 championships. :-)

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: June 29, 2012 05:27PM
$tevie
Everything's okay today. The Chicken Littles on Wall Street are all happy again because Italy beat Germany in the Eurozone 2012 championships. :-)

No doubt!

I'm sure today's mega-rally is Wall Street's tacit approval of the SCOTUS decision. I expect swampy to come here any minute and recant.
Posted by: Spock
Date: June 30, 2012 08:20AM
Lux Interior
$tevie

No doubt!

I'm sure today's mega-rally is Wall Street's tacit approval of the SCOTUS decision. I expect swampy to come here any minute and recant.

I'm ready to photograph the porcine squadron as they pass overhead.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 233
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018