advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"Wait—Freedom of Religion Is For ALL Religions? "
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 06, 2012 02:08PM
[www.tnr.com]

"WATSON — Rep. Valarie Hodges, R-Watson, says she had no idea that Gov. Bobby Jindal’s overhaul of the state’s educational system might mean taxpayer support of Muslim schools …

'I liked the idea of giving parents the option of sending their children to a public school or a Christian school,' Hodges said.

Hodges mistakenly assumed that 'religious' meant 'Christian.'

HB976, now signed into law as Act 2, proposed, among other things, a voucher program allowing state educational funds to be used to send students to schools run by religious groups …

'Unfortunately it will not be limited to the Founders’ religion,' Hodges said. 'We need to insure that it does not open the door to fund radical Islam schools. There are a thousand Muslim schools that have sprung up recently. I do not support using public funds for teaching Islam anywhere here in Louisiana.'"

I wonder how long they will be able to get away with a bunch of nonsense reasons to not approve the Muslim schools for vouchers while letting it be a free-for-all amongst Christian schools - I confess, I am assuming they will try to keep Muslim schools from getting the vouchers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2012 02:11PM by Ted King.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Wait—Freedom of Religion Is For ALL Religions? "
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 06, 2012 02:12PM
Ha ha perfect. Joke's on you lady.

The "Founder's" religion? I had no idea there were Deist schools out there. I'll have to check that out.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 06, 2012 02:13PM
What a maroon!

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 06, 2012 02:17PM
$tevie
What a maroon!

There's a whole heck of a lot of likewise thinking idiots on all sides of the aisle.

"We want Freedom ! But.. not for THOSE people !"
Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 06, 2012 03:08PM
cbelt, I honestly don't think that my post called for an admonishment that idiots come in all flavors. I didn't say "What a Republican maroon", now did I?

Posted by: Avenger
Date: July 06, 2012 04:31PM
Considering that Andre Carson (D-somewhere) believes that America’s school system would be improved if schools were modeled after madrasas, I say we are on the right track.
Date: July 06, 2012 04:45PM
[blogs.indystar.com]

That poor guy, he's one of only two Muslims in Congress. His comments, ironically made at a conference on Islamaphobia, have been taken out context in the wingnutosphere, he'll never hear the end of it.
He's only saying that schools should look at models that are successful, including religious schools. Politicians go on endlessly about the value of Christian schools and have tried to get public money to support them, only a hypocrite is going to deny this man the opportunity to make the same case.
Date: July 06, 2012 05:02PM
Out of context????? He is on videotape. What is out of context about saying America’s school system would be improved if schools were modeled after madrasas?
Date: July 06, 2012 05:12PM
Here's what he actually said:

“America will never tap in to educational innovation and ingenuity without looking at the model that he have in our madrassas, where innovation is encouraged, where the foundation is the Koran, and that model we are pushing in our schools meets the needs of our students,” he said. “Most of us are visual learners. Some of us are auditory learners, learn by hearing. Many of us are kinetic learners, learn by doing, touching, feeling. I have found, as my wife is a (public school) principal and we have a five-year-old daughter, Salima, that we need an educational model that is current, that meets the needs of our students. America must understand that she needs Muslims.”

In an interview, Carson said he has said the same thing talking about faith-based schools to Catholic, Jewish and Christian audiences, noting that something is happening in those schools that could help all schools excel.

“This is a message that I’ve given consistently to Christian groups, Jewish groups,” Carson said. “The question becomes for me, ‘Why are the graduation rates higher at faith-based institutions? What are they doing that we might be able to extract from that? That is not an argument saying that we should remove separation of church and state, because I think that is important in the public sector.”

He said he believed those schools, with smaller class sizes, are able to more experimental and address different kinds of learners.

“They’re given a different kind of freedom to tap into these young American minds,” Carson said.

Asked if he was saying that the Koran should be in the public school classroom, Carson said: “No, no, no.”

But, he added, one reason he mentioned education in a conference about Islamophobia is because “people across the country came to me because they were saying there are folks who want to shut down us building a school in the community… They’re having to fight back against Islamophobia and they don’t want us to teach things from our holy book. That statement was made in reference to the faith-based schools that they have where they are allowed to teach from their book of choice.”

Carson said that whether a religious school teaches the Bible, the Torah, the Bhagavad Gita or the Koran “there’s something to be said about the success rates of faith-based learning institutions that we might be able to extract some principles or some methodology from.”
Posted by: john dough
Date: July 06, 2012 05:20PM
Facts do not matter to Dakota.

When he gets proven wrong he will just make something up in 3...2...1...
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: July 06, 2012 05:53PM
When your beliefs start from hearing an already cherry-picked story on a network like Fox or on right wing talk radio, and that cherry picked fact has been spun until it is suffering from a logic concussion, and then you try to plug it in to your already seething brain, it's not surprising that you will simply repeat the snarky semi-factoid as if it were meaningful. Based on the more competent explanations, the factoid about Islamic schools comes across as foolish and unwise. It is, however, an effective taunt for those who don't have access to the facts, and are willing to think the worst of their fellow Americans.
Date: July 06, 2012 07:15PM
$tevie--apologies. The note was intended to point out that this is a common human mistake... Forgetting that rules requested apply to all , not just your particular Tribe.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: July 06, 2012 08:07PM
Lemon Drop
Ha ha perfect. Joke's on you lady.

The "Founder's" religion? I had no idea there were Deist schools out there. I'll have to check that out.

And atheist schools.

Thomas Paine was an atheist.

Not just a secularist. He was out. Total atheist.

[atheism.about.com]
Date: July 06, 2012 09:09PM
>>Here's what he actually said:

“America will never tap in to educational innovation and ingenuity without looking at the model that he have in our madrassas, where innovation is encouraged, where the foundation is the Koran, and that model we are pushing in our schools meets the needs of our students,” he said. “Most of us are visual learners. Some of us are auditory learners, learn by hearing. Many of us are kinetic learners, learn by doing, touching, feeling. I have found, as my wife is a (public school) principal and we have a five-year-old daughter, Salima, that we need an educational model that is current, that meets the needs of our students. America must understand that she needs Muslims.”

In an interview, Carson said he has said the same thing talking about faith-based schools to Catholic, Jewish and Christian audiences, noting that something is happening in those schools that could help all schools excel.

“This is a message that I’ve given consistently to Christian groups, Jewish groups,” Carson said. “The question becomes for me, ‘Why are the graduation rates higher at faith-based institutions? What are they doing that we might be able to extract from that? That is not an argument saying that we should remove separation of church and state, because I think that is important in the public sector.”

He said he believed those schools, with smaller class sizes, are able to more experimental and address different kinds of learners.

“They’re given a different kind of freedom to tap into these young American minds,” Carson said.

Asked if he was saying that the Koran should be in the public school classroom, Carson said: “No, no, no.”

But, he added, one reason he mentioned education in a conference about Islamophobia is because “people across the country came to me because they were saying there are folks who want to shut down us building a school in the community… They’re having to fight back against Islamophobia and they don’t want us to teach things from our holy book. That statement was made in reference to the faith-based schools that they have where they are allowed to teach from their book of choice.”

Carson said that whether a religious school teaches the Bible, the Torah, the Bhagavad Gita or the Koran “there’s something to be said about the success rates of faith-based learning institutions that we might be able to extract some principles or some methodology from.”<<

If you have to say all this to explain yourself you are done. Nothing will explain away

America will never tap in to educational innovation and ingenuity without looking at the model that he have in our madrassas, where innovation is encouraged, where the foundation is the Koran, and that model we are pushing in our schools meets the needs of our students,”

Innovation is encouraged? How many different ways can you memorize Koran? And why would any American find himself obligated to defend this?
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 07, 2012 01:54AM
cbelt3
$tevie--apologies. The note was intended to point out that this is a common human mistake... Forgetting that rules requested apply to all , not just your particular Tribe.

The retort was to your default position, you don't recognize you do this?
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: July 07, 2012 09:47AM
When she talks about the "Founders' religion" does she mean the signers of the Declaration or the Congress that wrote and enacted the Constitution? Because the Constitution has that pesky antiestablishment clause and reasonable people can argue that "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" includes freedom of worship.
Date: July 07, 2012 09:58AM
rg- good point. I need a better line. Anyone want to volunteer as a script writer? :-)
Date: July 07, 2012 02:23PM
Once again belty eats his words.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 07, 2012 02:52PM
Avenger
Once again belty eats his words.

If you had half the class as cbelt, you would eat your words once in a while.
Posted by: decay
Date: July 08, 2012 12:12PM

Posted by: Manlove
Date: July 11, 2012 12:15AM
Wow! I so held back on this one.

I think it's not freedom of religion that we should be wary of. I mean, I don't care what you do in the privacy of your own home. No, what we need is freedom from religion.
Freedom of speech, be damned! (Kidding...not...(kidding...))
I would be happy and feel the world would also benefit if all religion was done behind closed doors.

Okay. I admit. I am a little bit in love with cathedrals.
They are fracking awesome! They might have built them with god in mind, but that's okay. I think they are wondrous pieces of architecture that may, inadvertently, have been instrumental in their own demise. As beacons of light and learning they literally shone over the medieval landscape. They showed what the human mind might achieve in a way that few who saw them would have seen before. Just maybe enough minds were lit up that Cathedrals paved the way for the Enlightenment?
The irony being that they didn't want that at all.
(no citations because i think I just made that up. At least, I haven't a clue where it came from.)

Modern religious stuff just looks so crap by comparison. Moorish stuff is pretty cool too, but I don't think they put the effort into it that they used to. What's wrong with these religidiots?

Seriously, if you want me to believe what you say, show me something good.

But yeah, freedom for all man, not just for you. And that means that "I do not support using public funds for teaching Islam anywhere here in Louisiana" is irrelevant. Pay up!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 118
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018