advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Here's a dense topic:
Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 09, 2012 11:38AM
This is a lot to digest and it's pretty pessimistic as well. But kind of fascinating at the same time.

[campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Here's a dense topic:
Posted by: Manlove
Date: July 09, 2012 12:20PM
I'll start-
Everyone who does not make decisions, by which I mean there is someone above them who makes the decision for them, is expendable. The people at the bottom never expected to make independent decisions-life's always been @#$%& for them and thus it will remain.
Goodbye middle.
Welcome to the whole week-
[www.youtube.com]

edit- nice chewy topic by the way. Decline and Fall of Americas Middleclass.... tasty!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2012 12:22PM by Manlove.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 09, 2012 12:26PM
Sounds like a lot of what I was trying to get at in this thread:

[forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 09, 2012 12:34PM
That's a sobering Monday read.

A friend from high school is an exec with this huge company called "Aon Hewitt" that does business process outsourcing, among other things. In his office in Charlotte NC there are only a few people, but they have "outsourced" and essentially eliminated thousands of US jobs over a lunch and a signed contract.

They can outsource nearly every administrative aspect of running a company to one of their 6 big work centers, none of which is in the US (from what I understand.)

[www.aon.com]

So that's capitalism, labor is a cost to be reduced. Period.

On the flip side, when does quality control start to become an issue and possibly start to reverse this trend?

Husband's company recently switched insurance benefits administrators because of poor service, they had outsourced everything and we were talking to people in Indonesia about our claims, and there were so many mistakes and problems that it was no longer worth it.
Date: July 09, 2012 12:38PM
Seems almost exactly what you were saying in that thread. You at MIT?
"Seems like the options if you don't want to just let them die are pretty much give them stuff for nothing or give them essentially unnecessary work to do."

From the Times article-
"Policies to ameliorate the process – a shorter work week, a massive investment in education (for example, at the community college level), the disaggregation of complex tasks into simple functions that could be executed by mid-skill workers — may only slow the decline, not stop it."

Disaggregation of complex tasks/essentially unnecessary work? Same same.

Capitalism works as long as you own the means of production. If you don't... buh bye.
"But if you are a weak-minded person you might not like that idea so much." (love this line)
Date: July 09, 2012 12:48PM
"On the flip side, when does quality control start to become an issue and possibly start to reverse this trend?"

I wish it was sometime, but fear that it's never.
When was the last time you looked at something and after a moments thought didn't realise that it was cheap tat?
Built in obsolescence is what makes the system work. If things lasted we wouldn't need new things and the system would grind to a halt. Our ability to put up with @#$%& work, @#$%& food, @#$%& tv -the list goes on- is more or less boundless.

Rise up America, take back your future from the Corporate giants! The Capitalists are winning. What have you got to lose? And that's the problem. We are made to feel like we have a lot to lose and therefore we keep our heads down and hope the dude in the next cubicle is downsized and that we get to keep our own meaningless job and paltry excuse for health insurance. As long as there is someone else to take the fall from the cliff, we feel justified in pushing from the back. Eventually though, it is us on the precipice.
Ayn Rand will smile benignly at you as she watches you fall.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 09, 2012 01:24PM
Manlove
Seems almost exactly what you were saying in that thread. You at MIT?

lol... no, but I used to live sort of near Cal Tech while I was going to Cal Poly. I remember well the streets they talk about sometimes on the TV show, "Big Bang Theory" (used to live on Marengo Ave. south of Colorada Blvd. for those of you who know the place).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2012 01:56PM by Ted King.
Posted by: August West
Date: July 09, 2012 01:42PM
I've got many friends who bought homes in Pasadena. I liked that area, as well as Manhattan Beach.
Date: July 11, 2012 02:12AM
There's more here to talk about..
Bueller?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 132
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018