advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: $156.25 ( +0.27 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Perspicacious Poll: Personal Pneumonia ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 12, 2016 12:06PM
Poll
My experience with pneumonia is:
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
31 votes were received.
I can't even spell it. 2

6%
A family member has had it. 9

29%
I've had it. 13

42%
I've had it a number of times. 6

19%
I have a far better answer detailed below. 1

3%

based on current political realities.... have you ever experienced the joyful experience of drowning in your own juices that is Pneumonia ?

Me: I've had pneumonia now over 8 times. As a lifelong asthmatic, I'm particularly susceptible to it. And it freaking sucks... you feel like you're drowning. Your pulse oxygen level drops so far your lips turn blue. Gasping for breath, coughing, its.... terrible. Avoid it !
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Perspicacious Poll: Personal Pneumonia ?
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: September 12, 2016 12:12PM
I've had bronchitis several times.

Once it was diagnose as borderline pneumonia.

Always trying to clear your throat.
Posted by: billb
Date: September 12, 2016 12:13PM
Pneumonia is a symptom of an underlying cause.

NO ONE with an ounce of respect for their constituent's health would go out on a Saturday or Sunday and risk infecting the public at large if they were told they had pneumonia on a Friday. Unless they were a blatant unscrupulous incompetent criminal LIAR.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: September 12, 2016 12:21PM
I had "walking pneumonia" last year. It is insidious. I kept hanging with it until I think someone here told me what it was and I went to the doctor.

My brother-in-law was macho and let his get so bad incrementally that he ended up having his ribs sliced open to clean out the infection.

I'm getting the shot in a few days. Plus, now that I have Medicare, I'm going to the doctor much sooner if I have it again.
Posted by: Pam
Date: September 12, 2016 12:24PM
billb

NO ONE with an ounce of respect for their constituent's health would go out on a Saturday or Sunday and risk infecting the public at large if they were told they had pneumonia on a Friday. Unless they were a blatant unscrupulous incompetent criminal LIAR.

Like when I had it? After the death of my father, giving birth, then the death of my husband, taking care of a newborn, grieving, working full time.. you know going a million miles an hour. What was my underlying condition? Please tell me what hasn't been found these last 24 years.

As for going out in public, once the fever broke (same for the flu) doc said not contagious. Also, the cough often comes afterwards, it's part of the recovery. Not everyone gets a fever or displays anything other than the end game coughing.
Date: September 12, 2016 12:27PM
billb

Dr. Billb MD. Having had pneumonia a number of times, I can tell you this. Most forms of pneumonia (bacterial) is less contagious than the common cold. Which is quite probably what her doctor thought she had. Unless you actively kiss or lick people. Your candidate, OTOH, has expressed a willingness and desire to inflict massive doses of radiation poisoning on much of the Middle East. So yeah... I figure his insanity is FAR more contagious.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: September 12, 2016 12:30PM
billb

You are as factually challenged as you are angry & bitter. Walking pneumonia is minimally contagious, if at all. Especially if it's bacterial. It takes prolonged contact with an infected person to even create the possibility of spreading it. Maybe her secret service detail might, MIGHT be at a little risk, but not the public.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 12, 2016 12:52PM
Pneumonia isn't contagious after 24-48 hours of antibiotics so the child she greeted outside Chelsea's was perfectly safe.

My daughter had frequent bouts of pneumonia, detected by auscultation and confirmed by chest X-Ray, while on dialysis. Her doc would prescribe an antibiotic and have me dialyze off a little extra fluid for a few days (excess fluid tends to go to the lungs but also other tissue but she was a chubby baby so the lungs were where it showed). She was otherwise asymptomatic.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: September 12, 2016 12:56PM
I've had pneumonia as I recounted on a different thread. My doctor said nothing about me having to take special care to not spread it. My sister had walking pneumonia for weeks before she admitted to herself that she needed to see the doctor. It takes a lot more than pneumonia to stop a woman from doing what needs to be done.

Posted by: gabester
Date: September 12, 2016 12:59PM
9 year old child healthy as an ox had walking pneumonia; curled up in bed panting like a dog for hours before parents clued into fact she was really sick. 2 days of hospital stay later she was home and running a 5K race 3 weeks later with the fastest time in her age range (9-11 min).
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 12, 2016 01:20PM
Note that no one here mentions pneumonia in an elderly, frail adult with co-morbid conditions. From what I'm reading and hearing on the radio, she is on death's door.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2016 01:21PM by Speedy.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 12, 2016 01:22PM
My son and I both had bacterial pneumonia about 4 years ago and it was miserable. He brought it home from school, we were told it was highly contagious, I don't remember being told for how long.

I felt bad for about 2 weeks and also had an allergic reaction to Zithromax that sent me to the ER with tachycardia, dangerously low blood pressure, and hives.

Since there are many causes of pneumonia, I don't see the point in speculating on Sec. Clinton's condition. I hope she's feeling better soon.

She would not go around her grandchildren if she had been told that she's contagious.
Posted by: davester
Date: September 12, 2016 01:27PM
Lemon Drop
She would not go around her grandchildren if she had been told that she's contagious.

I bet billb and max have a different opinion.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: September 12, 2016 02:39PM
Speedy
Note that no one here mentions pneumonia in an elderly, frail adult...
Heh... My dad's severe pneumonia took place when he was around her age. He recovered handily after a brief hospital stay and a whole buncha ton of IV antibiotics.

Sadly, he was killed a year later after getting run into by a minivan at about 40 mph. But there are over 30 people, hopefully many of whom are still alive, who received organs and tissue from him. So Dad lives on, sort of.
Posted by: hal
Date: September 12, 2016 04:12PM
I had one nasty case of pneumonia - all factors conspired against me and it was unpleasant - the only time in my life that I realized that 'if this went untreated, I could have died'. I was really sick, but kept on going out in the cold and rain when finally someone just told me to STOP, go inside and take care of myself. The next day went to the dr and then stayed REALLY low for a week +.

But more relevant, I once had a nasty case of bronchitis and had no idea that I was infected. I went to the dr with back pain that wasn't getting better with the usual drugs - muscle relaxants did nothing, but pain meds did.

Dr said that the pain was the infection getting through the lung to the outside layer where there are nerves that registered the infection as pain.

And I had a roommate that was always pushing herself too hard - she had pneumonia a few times and usually worked right on through it.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: September 12, 2016 04:18PM
davester
Lemon Drop

I bet billb and max have a different opinion.

Only a moran would take the time to notice.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: September 12, 2016 04:23PM
Those who went to a doctor and got cured, what worked? In my two or three cases, antibiotics turned the corner for me.
Posted by: Pam
Date: September 12, 2016 05:02PM
Dennis S
Those who went to a doctor and got cured, what worked? In my two or three cases, antibiotics turned the corner for me.

Simple Z pack. Felt tremendously better in 24 hours. And I was quite ill with a high fever.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 12, 2016 05:10PM
My 21yr old son was just diagnosed with pneumonia. He sounds terrible.

My wife has had it several times.

Cannot imagine dealing with it and run a presidential campaign.
Posted by: swampy
Date: September 12, 2016 07:12PM
I've had it a couple times. Last time I coughed so hard that I cracked three ribs.

If you don't stand for something, you'll probably fall for anything.t
Date: September 12, 2016 08:10PM
Dennis S
Antibiotics and lots of nebulizer treatments. And so much coughing ... Ow.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 12, 2016 10:48PM
Dennis S

I had pneumonia in my early teens, ended up being out of school for three weeks. 1st week was at home with bed rest one of the 'cillins and not much more. Since my lungs just would not clear, spent the next week in the hospital. Forget what some of the treatment was, but it included three different drugs including oral liquid penicillin. I can still recall how bad that tasted. The last week was at home, don't recall what I was getting then.
Posted by: bfd
Date: September 12, 2016 11:28PM
bfd was completely out of commission for over two weeks - and then it was several weeks after that until things were back to some form of normal. Temperature, soupy cough, sweats, chills, the whole bit. Of course, part of the intensity of the condition came from trying to go back to a full activity level way before it should've ever been done. Staying home and down for the count early on might've prevented a full on, four-week recovery later. Lesson learned.

This was one big mess after another. After lightly observing the first "take it easy" recommendation from the doctor, the second trip earned this: "No, you can't just go in half days. You can't go in any days. You're going to be at home full time for two weeks, at least, doing nothing. So tell me now that you're going to do that or I can put you in my car and drive you over to the hospital. If you don't do what I'm telling you today, I guarantee that's where you will end up."

After that, it took about 3 or 4 weeks to feel normal again. Coughing was the worst part. It just didn't stop. Later on, just walking around the block was an ordeal (and this coming from someone who averages 80-100 miles a month running). Horrible experience.
Posted by: mspace
Date: September 13, 2016 09:26AM
It was explained to me by my doctor when I had it was that we carry the bacteria for it all the time. It is when one gets run down that it can do its thing.

That she could think and almost succeed in "powering through it" is a testament to her stamina.

(Grammar edit)
Date: September 13, 2016 11:58AM
I've had this 3 times in the last 4 or 5 years and it was always around this time of year. I hope I dodge it this time.
Posted by: billb
Date: September 16, 2016 07:58AM
risking a photo op and infecting a young child would not be an issue for the beast of benghazi and someone who would lie and deceive the families of fallen Americans

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: $tevie
Date: September 16, 2016 01:10PM
Coming back three days later to make a troll post is lame.

Date: September 16, 2016 02:29PM
$tevie
Coming back three days later to make a troll post is lame.

That's who he is and what he does.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 279
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015