advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Trump never divested...
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: January 20, 2017 10:15PM
Not that handing his companies over to his sons would have accomplished anything of substance, but for all his show of a big pile of papers (that he never let any member of the press examine), Trump has not filed the paperwork necessary to change ownership.

[www.propublica.org]

To transfer ownership of his biggest companies, Trump has to file a long list of documents in Florida, Delaware and New York. We asked officials in each of those states whether they have received the paperwork. As of 3:15 p.m. today, the officials said they have not.

Trump and his associates “are not doing what they said they would do,” said Richard Painter, the chief ethics lawyer for President George W. Bush. “And even that was completely inadequate.”

...ProPublica looked at more than a dozen of Trump’s largest companies, which are registered or incorporated in three states. Officials in New York and Delaware said documents are logged as soon as they are received. In Florida, officials told us there is typically a day or two before documents are logged into the system.

Here is what we found:

Business filings for Trump Organization LLC, Trump’s primary holding company, had not been changed, according to New York’s Department of State. Wollman Rink Operations LLC, which runs the Wollman Rink in Central Park through an agreement with New York City, hasn’t been updated either. Trump is listed as the sole authorized representative of the company.

Ivanka Trump is still listed as the authorized officer on records for two entities related to the Old Post Office in Washington, D.C., which the Trump family bought and turned into a hotel. No changes have been filed for either of the companies, which are registered in Delaware.

Documents on The Donald J. Trump Foundation, which Trump has said he would dissolve, haven’t been updated. The charitable foundation has been in a swirl of controversy over its collection and disbursement of funds and an active investigation by New York’s attorney general. (The foundation cannot legally dissolve until the investigation is complete, but the New York Attorney General’s office told ProPublica that Trump can resign as an officer at any time.)

In Delaware, where the majority of Trump’s businesses are registered, state officials told ProPublica that no amendments have been filed for four businesses tied to the Old Post Office and that the most recent filings for two businesses related to the Trump National Golf Club in Washington, D.C., were made more than a year ago.

In Florida, no changes have been made for years to three key Trump businesses operating there: the Trump International Golf Club in Palm Beach, the Mar-A-Lago Club, and DJT Holdings, which has controlling interest in most of Trump’s golf courses in the U.S. and abroad, according to the state’s Division of Corporations.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Trump never divested...
Posted by: davester
Date: January 20, 2017 10:50PM
For Trump, I think that just saying something is the same thing as it being true. This is why he never tells the truth. He feels that if he says it is true then that is the same thing as it being true.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: January 20, 2017 11:10PM
Sorry, samintx. Did not see your thread. Would have posted the link there.

Posted by: max
Date: January 21, 2017 05:47AM

[www.propublica.org]

To transfer ownership of his biggest companies, Trump has to file a long list of documents in Florida, Delaware and New York. We asked officials in each of those states whether they have received the paperwork. As of 3:15 p.m. today, the officials said they have not.

Fake news at best, or a voice of willful ignorance.

Sheesh, the legal paperwork alone takes weeks to prepare.
Its not like signing one piece document.
The states forms themselves might be only couple pages, but the underlaying ampunt of legalese, today is astounding. Then if there are any tax considerations, and from what I have seen, there should be a pile, that will add another ton of paperwork.
Three to six months is my estimate, even with a gigagaggle of lawyers....

Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 21, 2017 07:46AM
It was a simple con. Pres. Trump has had well over a year to prepare to meet the requirements of the emoluments clause and he failed. Just another lie by the ill-prepared Liar in Chief.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 21, 2017 08:03AM
I am Lux's complete lack of surprise.

I heard a republican congressman say on NPR yesterday that Trump is already so rich, so why would he use his position to further enrich himself?

Yeah. Totally.
Posted by: Surfrider
Date: January 21, 2017 09:03AM
I hear many people use the "he doesn't need more money", like the guy won't grab every dollar he can.....HA!, I say...
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 21, 2017 09:48AM
Well, if he released his taxes we might actually know just how much he owes to others. His wealth in the form of assets was last estimated to be about $4 billion, but how much he owes is not known. So no net worth is known. Given that he declared nearly a billion dollar loss for just one year about 20 years ago, we do know Trump has been involved in finances that exposed him to the risk of high losses. His history does not show any changes in that pattern since.

Even with the list of assets he has, most of them are not "liquid". So anything that messed up his cash flow would make him vulnerable to needing more loans, or other sources of ready cash.
Date: January 21, 2017 09:50AM
max

He said he did it and pointed to a pile of bundled papers as evidence.

Posted by: max
Date: January 21, 2017 01:57PM
Onamuji
max

Yeah, the conceptual first draft, the first step, it still does not equate, nor is normally anywhere close to filing, but don't let me stop you from enjoying the fake news or the pile of straw you are cavorting in.

I am ready to look at it after the first 6 months....
Date: January 21, 2017 02:15PM
max
the conceptual first draft...

Pulled that out of a fevered dream?

No such thing.

Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 21, 2017 06:51PM
max

He had 10 and a half weeks to take care of it. His lawyers could have told him that.

Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 21, 2017 06:51PM
Onamuji
max

Truth.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 22, 2017 02:25PM
Lux Interior
I am Lux's complete lack of surprise.

I heard a republican congressman say on NPR yesterday that Trump is already so rich, so why would he use his position to further enrich himself?

Yeah. Totally.

I suppose that same Republican congressman will probably make an argument along similar lines about tax cuts for the rich.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 140
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020