advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: $159.76 ( -0.71 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Meals on Wheels to lose federal funding
Posted by: pdq
Date: March 16, 2017 04:32PM
This is kind of funny, in a sad sort of way. It reminds me of when Congressional Republicans cut federal funding during the sequester, and then discovered that the private airports they liked flying in and out of had lost funding for air traffic control.

(Don't cut that! Just cut all that "waste and fraud" we keep talking about!)

Anyway, it turns out, if you haven't heard, that one of the programs that gets hit by Trump's proposed budget is Meals on Wheels. While most of MoW's funding is local, it's still horribly bad optics to be taking food out of granny's mouth, especially if she's white.

But this crew just can't back down, you know?

“Meals on Wheels sounds great,” Mulvaney said during the White House news briefing, adding that “[but] we're not going to spend [money] on programs that cannot show that they actually deliver the promises that we’ve made to people.”

Mulvaney described the budget blueprint, which calls for dramatic cuts to domestic spending programs in favor of increased funding for the military, as “one of the most compassionate things we can do.”

"We've spent all this money on hungry old people that have trouble getting meals, and there are still hungry old people that have trouble getting meals! When will it end??"
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Meals on Wheels to lose federal funding
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 16, 2017 04:42PM
This could prove beneficial to the Medicare trust fund. Throw granny over the cliff - or starve her to death. The Republicans are diabolical! Perhaps the CBO could score this?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: March 16, 2017 04:43PM
Speedy
This could prove beneficial to the Medicare trust fund. Throw granny over the cliff - or starve her to death. The Republicans are diabolical! Perhaps the CBO could score this?

Couldn't be worse than TrumpCare scoring...
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: March 16, 2017 04:51PM
pdq
This is kind of funny, in a sad sort of way. It reminds me of when Congressional Republicans cut federal funding during the sequester, and then discovered that the private airports they liked flying in and out of had lost funding for air traffic control.

That's interesting.

You know, the proposed budget also cuts funding for Air Traffic Controllers, moving them out of the Federal Aviation Administration and under a private for-profit corporation, simultaneously breaking the union and removing federal standards over flight-control which Trump alleges is critical measure for "maintaining safety" ...?

Posted by: samintx
Date: March 16, 2017 04:55PM
They still make cat food so what's the problem. Seniors don't eat much and there are too many of them anyway (including me!)Old Fogette

Besides the gamblers in the USA and Britain are betting 45 won't last the year so Meals will be restored.
Posted by: billb
Date: March 16, 2017 05:01PM
There are thousands of MEals on Wheels organizations across this country. The majority of them rely on charitable donations not federal grants. No one is starving except the morals and integrity of the mouth-breathers spewing the usual fear-mongering.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: March 16, 2017 05:10PM
bill, all federal funding for Meals on Wheels is going away under Trump's proposed budget. Same for the National Endowment for the Arts, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the Energy Star program that provides appliance energy consumption ratings, and dozens of other programs that do useful things.

Can the end users (and supported programs) continue without Federal funds? It may be that they'll have to, so we can send more (unrequested) money to the Pentagon, and as a slight down payment on the budget-busting upper-bracket tax breaks that are sure to come.

But they're still cuts. This is real stuff, bill. Things real people depend on.
Date: March 16, 2017 05:32PM
Here's the reality for CPB:

The Trump administration on Thursday unveiled a budget proposal that would entirely eliminate federal funding for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the publicly funded radio and television entity that includes NPR, PBS and about 1,500 affiliated stations. The move would save about $485 million — about 0.0137 percent of total federal spending.

“When you start looking at places that we reduce spending, one of the questions we asked was can we really continue to ask a coal miner in West Virginia or a single mom in Detroit to pay for these programs? The answer was no,” Trump’s Office of Management and Budget Director Mick Mulvaney told MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” Thursday morning. “We can ask them to pay [over $50B more] for defense, and we will, but we can’t ask them to continue to pay [less than half a billion] for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.”

...It would not be the stereotypical NPR listeners in Boston, Brooklyn and Washington who would suffer the consequences.

The “money that really makes a difference goes to areas where the public radio and TV stations cannot survive on donations,” said David Wessel, the director of the Hutchins Center on Fiscal and Monetary Policy at the non-partisan Brookings Institution.

Wealthy metropolitan areas would likely be able to continue to support their public stations, while poorer rural areas — places that lack access to quality news programming to begin with — would lose out. That could give pause to a number of Republican representatives.

So yeah, I'm going to be able to enjoy all of public radio and TV I did before. But I'm going to support my local stations with my charitable contributions, not ones in rural Kansas. Under this, they go dark. No loss to me.

Not to pick on bill - this is, and has been, standard Republican orthodoxy for a long time. They've just never had a chance (or the political guts) to actually do this.

And now they do, because we elected them. Do we agree this is what we want?
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 16, 2017 05:56PM
Who thinks that the Trump voters "voted for" getting rid of Meals on Wheels, and getting rid of heating assistance for the poor and elderly, and getting rid of broadband in rural communities, and lowering money for programs that benefit farmers? I don't see how this stuff can make it through Congress as long as the media does their job and lets people know it ain't just artists and writers who will suffer.

Posted by: Pam
Date: March 16, 2017 06:03PM
Alaska only gets Russian broadcast without public radio. And the state is also cutting it's support. But that's ok. They can rely on RT. I'm sure they have kids programming and lesson plans for teachers.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 16, 2017 06:15PM
The headline is just wrong

Just because trump makes a proposal doesn't mean that it will become law
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 16, 2017 06:40PM
Relax, he noted that it's Trump's proposed budget. And most of us know a president's budget is merely a wishlist to get Congress talking and thinking.

Problem is, and why it's relevant, is because it represents his absurd philosophy about what he values.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2017 06:41PM by deckeda.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: March 16, 2017 10:39PM
I would think the funding picture for most local meals on wheels programs would include both local and state funding and donations. But I think the core funding comes from the Older Americans Act. Funding for senior services is not directly targeted in this budget document, at least as far as I know, and is unlikely to be eliminated entirely. But it is expected that they will propose significant cuts in this years budget and moving forward, and that will directly cut from MOW.

[aoa.acl.gov]
Posted by: bfd
Date: March 16, 2017 10:44PM
It's not a program that "pays off" … no seniors are going into the labor force because they get a hot lunch.

Another senior program that's on the chopping block is job training for seniors. Why bother, they can't work much longer anyway.

Next up: Death Panels. Seniors are consuming valuable resources at EOL that could be directed to the military sector.
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 16, 2017 11:58PM
Thank goodness for the Clinton Foundation. They serve 100,000 kids with breakfast and lunch every day.
Date: March 17, 2017 11:49AM
Here's another quote straight from the horse's mouth - or, the horse's budget director's mouth:

Trump's budget also makes significant cuts to scientific research, especially climate change, which is the target of some of the deep cuts within the State Department. ‘We’re not spending money on that anymore,’ Mulvaney said of climate change research. ‘We consider that to be a waste of your money.’”
Date: March 17, 2017 11:58AM
...and some more detail:

At a news conference Thursday, Mick Mulvaney, President Trump’s budget chief, defended proposed cuts to the Meals on Wheels program, which provides food aid to needy senior citizens, by saying the program is one of many that is “just not showing any results.”

Au contraire:

A 2013 review of studies, for instance, found that home-delivered meal programs for seniors “significantly improve diet quality, increase nutrient intakes, and reduce food insecurity and nutritional risk among participants. Other beneficial outcomes include increased socialization opportunities, improvement in dietary adherence, and higher quality of life.”

Not only that, the programs offer good bang-for-your-buck: “These programs are also aligned with the federal cost-containment policy to rebalance long-term care away from nursing homes to home- and community-based services by helping older adults maintain independence and remain in their homes and communities as their health and functioning decline.”

In other words, the programs help seniors stay at home and out of costly nursing facilities. “The average cost of a one-month nursing home stay is equivalent to providing home-delivered meals five days a week for approximately seven years,” one of the studies in the analysis found.

“Meals on Wheels sounds great,” Mulvaney said Thursday, but “to take that federal money and give it to the states and say, ‘Look, we want to give you money for programs that don’t work’ — I can’t defend that anymore.”

I guess, then, it's up to us.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 17, 2017 12:31PM
My brother and his friend used to volunteer for Meals on Wheels. Sometimes they were the only people the recipients saw that day. Sometimes they saw that the client didn't recognize that they were in need of medical care. Sadly, sometimes they found a client dead who might otherwise have gone unmissed for days. It's more than just food.

Date: March 17, 2017 12:31PM
^^ this.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 17, 2017 12:38PM
$tevie
My brother and his friend used to volunteer for Meals on Wheels. Sometimes they were the only people the recipients saw that day. Sometimes they saw that the client didn't recognize that they were in need of medical care. Sadly, sometimes they found a client dead who might otherwise have gone unmissed for days. It's more than just food.

My friend worked for them and said the same thing.
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: March 17, 2017 12:47PM
Dennis S
$tevie

My friend worked for them and said the same thing.

So true. My mom received Meals on Wheels for several years. One day I took her to a doctor's appointment and forgot to cancel the MOW delivery. Sure enough I got a phone call asking if she was okay because there was no answer when they knocked. Mind you, these are volunteers.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 17, 2017 02:22PM
F the poor. F the disabled. F the infirm.

This is just how 45 sees the world.

You can't afford to live in his universe? F you.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 18, 2017 02:12PM
Fat tax cuts for fat cats are more important.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

RE:up , rz , Sam3 , WHiiP
Guests: 249
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015