advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: $159.98 ( +0.20 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Gorsuch may not side with 45
Posted by: samintx
Date: March 17, 2017 08:31AM
I don't have a subscription to online WSJ, but their headline is Gorsuch sided with illegals in some cases. I'm going to see if I can find an article when I get to my computer.

[reason.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2017 08:55AM by samintx.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Gorsuch may not side with 45
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 17, 2017 09:08AM
Merrick Garland would have been a much better choice. That the Republicans blocked him for almost a year is treason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2017 09:08AM by Steve G..
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 17, 2017 09:19AM
Dream a little dream…

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: March 17, 2017 10:03AM
The few accounts I've read say he is qualified to be on the court. Trump could nominate much worse.

"When the tree falls, the monkeys scatter." Chinese proverb.

Always remember that your present situation is not your final destination.

"The opposite for courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow." Jim Hightower
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 17, 2017 10:38AM
On paper he appears to meet the basic qualifications to be on the court, but then so did Robert Bork and Clarence Thomas. There are also other reports that Gorsuch did some maneuvering behind the scenes to get this nomination, he was not one of the initial candidates. Would like to know what was entailed in getting himself to the top of the list. Vetting was done through some very conservative GOP connected organizations.

Whether this case mentioned would make him a less bad choice or not, who knows. At least it shows he will stand on some existing legal precedence and not always defer to the Executive branch. His record also shows that he is on the conservative side, we would have to wait to see how that and his personal beliefs would play out once appointed. About all that is certain is that there were worse candidates.

P.S. autocorrect keeps trying to change his name to Grouch, hope that is not a bad omen.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: March 17, 2017 11:22AM
For some background:

"During the years preceding his federal judgeship on the 10th circuit court of appeals Gorsuch studied for a doctorate at University College Oxford under the supervision of Prof John Finnis, a 76-year-old Australian legal scholar considered one of the world’s foremost thinkers on the philosophy of natural law."

“Before he was Donald Trump’s nominee to fill the vacancy on the supreme court, Judge Neil Gorsuch was the protege of a renowned Catholic scholar at Oxford University who has compared same-sex relations to bestiality and described abortion as the 'approved killing of vulnerable innocent human beings'.”

[www.theguardian.com]
Posted by: WOOF
Date: March 17, 2017 12:28PM
Gorsuch is a corporate shill.
Date: March 17, 2017 02:44PM
WOOF

Of course, that is a given with any Republican nominee. But his philosophy on social wedge issues are sometimes not as well defined.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2017 02:44PM by Speedy.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 17, 2017 02:49PM
Speedy
WOOF

Of course, that is a given with any Republican nominee. But his philosophy on social wedge issues are sometimes not as well defined.

Huh?

He's thoroughly opposed to gay marriage, abortion, etc; he favors protections for people claiming religious exemptions from fairness rules.

Where's the ambiguity?

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: March 17, 2017 03:12PM
rjmacs
Speedy
WOOF

Huh?

He's thoroughly opposed to gay marriage, abortion, etc; he favors protections for people claiming religious exemptions from fairness rules.

Where's the ambiguity?

Socially he can mellow with age. But he will always back corporatism.

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 17, 2017 03:25PM
Speedy
rjmacs
Speedy
WOOF

Huh?

Where's the ambiguity?

Socially he can mellow with age. But he will always back corporatism.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Yeah - Scalia really mellowed as he got older.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 17, 2017 04:29PM
"Trump could nominate much worse. "

That's pretty much the only positive thing I have seen. He's a slightly less racist/sexist/corporatist version of Scalia.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 17, 2017 05:07PM
I have no idea why you keep on kidding yourself. He has been in power 6 weeks and shows absolutely NO sign of 'moderating', 'reaching out' or 'becoming more presidential'. His appointments are right-wing loonies and corrupt Wall Street corporate operatives and his security choices have proven to be flat out paid Russian operatives.
Get real, this Midtown Mussolini is out to destroy our beloved America.. Time to remove him NOW.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2017 05:10PM by Steve G..
Posted by: gabester
Date: March 18, 2017 05:30PM
Steve G.
Get real, this Midtown Mussolini is out to destroy our beloved America.. Time to remove him NOW.

Somehow I fear that, were that going to happen, we would have seen some wheels set in motion by now. I suspect that going forward only things that further cement the insanity in power will occur, most likely several of them quite tragic on a personal ("accidents" happening to key opposition leaders) to global scale (the total destruction of any hope of anything approaching an optimistic, minimal level of global warming.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 268
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015