Forums

AAPL stock: $145.89 ( +2.16 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
TrumpCare: It's "a blessing from God"
Posted by: pdq
Date: March 17, 2017 12:10PM
Hope your breakfast is well-settled:

Soon after Charla McComic’s son lost his job, his health-insurance premium dropped from $567 per month to just $88, a “blessing from God” that she believes was made possible by President Trump.

I think it was just because of the tax credit,” said McComic, 52, a former first-grade teacher who traveled to Trump’s Wednesday night rally in Nashville from Lexington, Tenn., with her daughter, mother, aunt and cousin.

The price change was actually thanks to a subsidy made possible by former president Barack Obama’s Affordable Care Act, which is still in place, not by the tax credits proposed by Republicans as part of the health-care bill still being considered by Congress.

...McComic said she’s not worried about her disability benefits changing or her 3-year-old granddaughter getting kicked off Medicaid or her 33-year-old son’s premiums going up.

“So far, everything’s been positive, from what I can tell,” she said, waiting for Trump’s rally here to begin Wednesday night. “I just hope that more and more people and children get covered under this new health-care plan.”

These poor saps are in for a hell of a surprise.

I'm sorry - does that make me a "smug liberal"?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: TrumpCare: It's "a blessing from God"
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 17, 2017 12:15PM
Sigh. The definition of insanity used to be that one believed things that a super majority of the population did not. I think that's changing.
Posted by: pdq
Date: March 17, 2017 12:19PM
More folks who made the mistake of thinking Trump gives a rat's ass about them:

After meetings with the Trump administration last month, leaders of historically black colleges and universities expressed cautious optimism that the increased funding they requested might actually make it into the White House budget.

It did not.

Instead, Trump’s first presidential budget released Thursday calls for “maintaining” $492 million in appropriations for HBCUs and minority-serving institutions.

Combined discretionary spending for those schools, however, is actually $577 million right now.

...and rather than expanding Pell grants for low-income students, the proposal raids $4 billion from the program’s reserves.

These particular folks were just body props for a presidential photo op:

I suspect they won't be fooled again.
Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: March 17, 2017 12:19PM
The Tennessee version of Alfred E. Newman.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 17, 2017 12:21PM
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 17, 2017 12:33PM
Let's face it, the GOP is going to have to find a way to stall this budget that makes it look as if it is the Democrats' fault. Here's where we see just how devious they can be.

Posted by: samintx
Date: March 17, 2017 02:10PM
You would think someone that has gotten enuf education to teach school would not be on the 45 wagon and thinking it is NOW reducing her healthcare. I have lost my spirit and hope. I want to give people an OK but the thinking that is going on out there in never neverland is too much for me.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 17, 2017 02:24PM
$tevie
Let's face it, the GOP is going to have to find a way to stall this budget that makes it look as if it is the Democrats' fault. Here's where we see just how devious they can be.

Federal agencies are already making preparations for a government shutdown in April.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 17, 2017 03:16PM
$tevie

The recent shut-downs were supposedly damaging to the Republicans, yet here we are.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 17, 2017 03:31PM
Well, perhaps they were damaging in the immediate aftermath, but given the short memory span of a big chunk of the electorate the shutdowns did not impact elections much. And the Federal level shutdowns had even less impact at the state election level where the GOP long game has been being played out over the last decade plus.
Posted by: kj
Date: March 17, 2017 05:54PM
pdq

Soon after Charla McComic’s son lost his job, his health-insurance premium dropped from $567 per month to just $88, a “blessing from God” that she believes was made possible by President Trump.

I think it was just because of the tax credit,” said McComic, 52, a former first-grade teacher who traveled to Trump’s Wednesday night rally in Nashville from Lexington, Tenn., with her daughter, mother, aunt and cousin.

The price change was actually thanks to a subsidy made possible by former president Barack Obama’s Affordable Care Act, which is still in place, not by the tax credits proposed by Republicans as part of the health-care bill still being considered by Congress.

...McComic said she’s not worried about her disability benefits changing or her 3-year-old granddaughter getting kicked off Medicaid or her 33-year-old son’s premiums going up.

“So far, everything’s been positive, from what I can tell,” she said, waiting for Trump’s rally here to begin Wednesday night. “I just hope that more and more people and children get covered under this new health-care plan.”

Yeah, I feel like that is smug, actually. "If all these poor saps would just let smart people like me make all the decisions, they would be better off." Can you think of a different way to phrase your thoughts that isn't smug? It would be better for you, me, and everyone else if you could. And, fwiw, it would be a smarter thing to do. kj.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 17, 2017 06:33PM
kj
pdq

Yeah, I feel like that is smug, actually. "If all these poor saps would just let smart people like me make all the decisions, they would be better off." Can you think of a different way to phrase your thoughts that isn't smug? It would be better for you, me, and everyone else if you could. And, fwiw, it would be a smarter thing to do. kj.

Channeling Pres. Trump?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: August West
Date: March 17, 2017 07:32PM
kj seems to be a good example of the right wingers who can't see the forest for the trees.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: March 17, 2017 09:57PM
kj
Yeah, I feel like that is smug, actually. "If all these poor saps would just let smart people like me make all the decisions, they would be better off."

YOU are the one injecting such sentiments here with your stereotyping....that is quite smug of you.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 17, 2017 11:19PM
"I don't want no smart-ass Harvard educated liberal telling me what to do! I want a guy I can have a beer with!"
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 18, 2017 01:07AM
"We're having trouble steering the ship in the waves. Maybe we should get someone who's never sailed a ship before to steer it."
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: March 18, 2017 08:07AM
Dennis S
"We're having trouble steering the ship in the waves. Maybe we should get someone who's never sailed a ship before to steer it."

Twenty years of steering, and these waves keep coming. Maybe it's time we try something new.
Posted by: Janit
Date: March 18, 2017 05:58PM
Todd's keyboard
Dennis S

Twenty years of steering, and these waves keep coming. Maybe it's time we try something new.

Yeah, kill the planet and it will stop sending waves!
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: March 18, 2017 06:04PM
Janit
Todd's keyboard
Dennis S

Hmm, a big wall should stop the wind, which should stop the waves. Wonder if getting rid of the moon to stop the tides would have any other possible effects?
Date: March 18, 2017 06:08PM
"I've got control of the ship. I'm taking it someplace safe where the waters are calm. How about over there by that iceberg?"
Posted by: Janit
Date: March 18, 2017 07:40PM
Steve G.
"I've got control of the ship. I'm taking it someplace safe where the waters are calm. How about over there by that iceberg?"

We will all help you by rearranging the deck chairs.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 19, 2017 04:28PM
Todd's keyboard
Janit
Todd's keyboard
Dennis S

Hmm, a big wall should stop the wind, which should stop the waves. Wonder if getting rid of the moon to stop the tides would have any other possible effects?

Perfect Todd - your keyboard is channeling Trump
Date: March 20, 2017 09:59AM
hal
Todd's keyboard

Perfect Todd - your keyboard is channeling Trump

A proud grad!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 284
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015