advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: $140.92 ( -0.50 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
drill, baby, drill
Posted by: billb
Date: March 19, 2017 12:24PM

“Last week, the lead of one news story said, ‘Gasoline prices are on the rise, and Republicans are licking their chops,'” Obama said in a 2012 speech in Miami, Florida. “Only in politics do people greet bad news so enthusiastically.”

“And you can bet that since it’s an election year, they’re already dusting off their three-point plans for $2 gas,” Obama continued. “I’ll save you the suspense: Step one is drill, step two is drill, and step three is keep drilling. We heard the same thing in 2007, when I was running for president. We hear the same thing every year. We’ve heard the same thing for 30 years.”

“Well the American people aren’t stupid,” Obama said in a speech in Miami. “You know that’s not a plan — especially since we’re already drilling. … You know there are no quick fixes to this problem, and you know we can’t just drill our way to lower gas prices.

Could anyone ever have been more wrong ?

[gasprices.aaa.com]

America's "weapon" to thwart OPEC ?
[www.reuters.com]

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin

BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: drill, baby, drill
Posted by: GGD
Date: March 19, 2017 01:51PM
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 19, 2017 02:18PM
You can drill all you want, it won't make gas cheaper. The refinery's are working at capacity already, it isn't possible to refine any more gas than is already being done. Build a new refinery and then it will possibly make additional drilling worthwhile. However none of the fuel producers want to make the investment in a new refinery.

Further, there are already capped wells due to prices being low. The idea that additional drilling or a pipeline will bring prices down is just a politician line to those who believe whatever they are told.

"The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing" -- Socrates
“I’m, like, a really smart person.” -- Donald Trump
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 19, 2017 02:24PM
But now Big Oil can export crude. Even though he got a lot from the Republican Congress in exchange, Pres. Obama should never have agreed to the law allowing export. It will come back to haunt us.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 19, 2017 02:56PM
Congrats on the today's talking point score.

The American oil industry is just lucky fracking technology matured at just the right time. We've drilled our way out of $4 gas, but that $2 gas is not paying the true cost of that extraction and utilization in a carbon-loaded world.

Typical Republican: Privatize the profits, socialize the losses. Take the short-term personal gain at the expense of long-term public stability.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2017 02:57PM by Acer.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: March 19, 2017 03:29PM
billb

Yeah this one:
$7.16 Gal. Gas By End of an Obama Second Term
[forums.hannity.com]

or this one:
Obama's Goal Is '$8 or $9 a Gallon' Gas
[abcnews.go.com]

or this one:
Obama’s Energy Sec. Wants $7 To $9 Unleaded Gas Prices
[www.redstate.com]

or this one:
$7-a-Gallon Gas?
[dailysignal.com]

Grateful11
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 19, 2017 03:36PM
The price is artificially low at the moment because the OPEC nations, esp. Saudi Arabia, have flooded the market to discourage new well drilling in the oil shale areas fields. Some wells that were finished being brought into production before this are able to pump and make someny over the costs of bringing it up. The rest are capped and the rest of the money spent creating these wells is sunk costs that might not be recovered for years.

Worldwide demand is also off as a number of other countries' economies are not doing well. Whether that will change sooner or later is up in the air, when those economies do recover the demand will bring oil and gas prices back up.

P.S. I also enjoyed the period of time in the late '90's when there was another gas glut, remember the under 80 cent a gallon prices then? That only lasted a relatively short time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2017 03:39PM by JoeH.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 19, 2017 04:13PM
Gratefull11, great post! Thanks.

Grateful11
billb

Yeah this one:
$7.16 Gal. Gas By End of an Obama Second Term
[forums.hannity.com]

or this one:
Obama's Goal Is '$8 or $9 a Gallon' Gas
[abcnews.go.com]

or this one:
Obama’s Energy Sec. Wants $7 To $9 Unleaded Gas Prices
[www.redstate.com]

or this one:
$7-a-Gallon Gas?
[dailysignal.com]

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: max
Date: March 19, 2017 05:20PM
GGD
[www.businessinsider.com]

[www.expressnews.com]

[www.desmogblog.com]

[dailycaller.com]

Totally irrelevant crap, completely out of date.
These periodic shakeups do industry good, they remind the fat slobs about the need to stay lean.
As it is, the last period has done its job and at $50 a barrel the American oil companies, especially the fracking well operators, are now making money.
They are not making fortunes, but they are making money. Here, in Houston, you can feel the industry waking up again.....

Ombligo
You can drill all you want, it won't make gas cheaper. The refinery's are working at capacity already, it isn't possible to refine any more gas than is already being done. Build a new refinery and then it will possibly make additional drilling worthwhile.

You could not be more wrong about refining..
The capacities of our refineries has been quite well tuned to the market demand.
In fact because the gasoline usage has been declining, we do have quite a bit of overcapacity. Refined oil products such as gasoline has been a major export component of national commerce.
The reason the gasoline prices have stayed in most of the country under $2 for so long, is that there was a tremendous gasoline surplus inventory.
If you see any shortages, those are regional, mostly due to distribution bottlenecks whe local refinery is down for one reason, or another.....

Speedy
But now Big Oil can export crude. Pres. Obama should never have agreed to the law allowing export. It will come back to haunt us.

Very true, that was truly stupid, having the cheaper oil here, would allow us to compete and dominate on the global markets for refined and processed products, increasing this country's manufacturing base.
Instead Obama gave it all away.
You expect oil funded legislators, both Democrat and Republican to push for oil exports.
You also expect the President to step up and do his job.
Obama did not......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."
Posted by: btfc
Date: March 19, 2017 05:36PM
"Instead Obama gave it all away."

Another miserable fail.

"House votes to lift crude oil export ban despite opposition from White House"

[www.theguardian.com]
Date: March 19, 2017 05:57PM
btfc
"Instead Obama gave it all away."
Another miserable fail.

"House votes to lift crude oil export ban despite opposition from White House"

[www.theguardian.com]

Hehehehe,
talk about truly miserable fails, btfc:.....

With the stroke of a pen, President Barack Obama on Friday ended 40 years of U.S. crude oil export limits by signing off on a repeal passed by Congress earlier in the day.
[www.bloomberg.com]

Another colossally miserable fail.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
Date: March 19, 2017 06:13PM
Nowhere in your linked article does it state that 'Obama gave it all away'.
Here's hoping that your pathetic reading comprehension skills and your total lack of understanding of how our system of government works will someday improve.
Date: March 19, 2017 07:31PM
btfc
"opposition from White House"

Hehehe....btfc, "opposition from White House"? was that not your argument,
Tour linked article?
Really?
Talk about reading comprehension fail, btfc
Yet, Obama could not wait to sign the bill the very same day?

I understand you painted yourself into a corner, again, and now trying to twist your way out of it.
The usual btfc St.Vitus dance of the colossally miserable fail......

Here's hoping that your pathetic reading comprehension skills and your total lack of understanding of how our manufacturing supply and infrastructure works will someday improve.....

Date: March 19, 2017 07:41PM
Max doubles down on his alternative facts. So sad!

"how our manufacturing supply and infrastructure works"

"Obama gave it all away."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2017 07:43PM by btfc.
Date: March 19, 2017 07:51PM
Alternative facts according to the colossal miserable fail:
btfc
"opposition from White House"

Reality: Obama cant wait to sign the bill, does the same day:
[www.bloomberg.com]

btfc doubles down on his fail, it never happened, so there....

Poor btfc, cannot get anything right....
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: March 19, 2017 07:54PM
Just like in the Netherlands vote thread, where max tried to crawfish out of his 20% remark...he does the absolute same here....then says everyone else is crawfishing. He must think if lying works for Trump, that it must work for him.
Date: March 19, 2017 08:57PM
Carnos Jax
Just like in the Netherlands vote thread, where max tried to crawfish out of his 20% remark...he does the absolute same here....then says everyone else is crawfishing. He must think if lying works for Trump, that it must work for him.
You mean this one?
[forums.macresource.com]
Hehehe, too,
"You do know, as well as your friends did, that the highest Wilders ever got was no more than 20%.
There was no way he was going to run Netherlands."
if you thought I was wrong there, Carnos, my boy, you have a perfect chance to show me up.
Come on, Carnos, show us. Show me being wrong in what I said.

Somehow you slink away every time I ask you to actually put up your bs.
A factual argument.
I understand it sticks in your craw that you cannot.
I understand it sticks in your craw that Max is right.

Life is so unfair.....

Date: March 19, 2017 09:44PM
Your nose was already pretty well rubbed in your own poop in that thread...still you insist everyone else is wrong....it won't work on us.
Date: March 19, 2017 10:40PM
' “I’m not wild about everything in it. I’m sure that’s true of everybody,” Obama told reporters at the White House during his end-of-year press conference. “But it is a budget that, as I insisted, invests in our military and the middle class.”

The president praised House Speaker Paul Ryan, elected to the post Oct. 29 after Republican insurgents drove John Boehner out of Congress. “He is respectful of the process and respectful of how legislation works,” Obama said. “So kudos to him as well as all the other leaders and appropriators involved in this process.”

The end of the 40-year ban on most U.S. crude oil exports is a “big win,” according to Ryan of Wisconsin, and it’s a top priority for Republicans. Democrats call it a giveaway to oil companies, and in exchange they negotiated extensions of environmental measures including solar and wind energy tax credits. '

[www.bloomberg.com]

'The huge political horse trade in the budget that will change where the U.S. gets its energy'

[www.washingtonpost.com]

' Here’s what made it into Congress’s big spending and tax bills '

' Oil Exports
Alternative Energy
Obamacare
Refugees
Visa Waivers
9/11 Responders
Abortion
Puerto Rico
Research and Development Tax Credit
Child Tax Credit
Earned Income Tax Credit
Tax Credits for College
Tax Credits for Teachers
Charitable Donations
Campaign Finance
Clean Water
Climate Change
Land and Water Conservation Fund
Financial Regulations
Guns
Immigration
Cybersecurity
Food Labeling
Sledding
Transit Benefits
... '

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Like I said, " total lack of understanding of how our system of government works".
Date: March 19, 2017 11:00PM
You can't lay it out any better btfc, max will still insist you are wrong, with nothing to back up his position except for lies, or as he calls it 'redefining facts'....same as he does every time someone calls him to the floor on his misleading posts.
Date: March 20, 2017 01:09AM
Carnos Jax
Your nose was already pretty well rubbed in your own poop in that thread...still you insist everyone else is wrong....it won't work on us.
Total BS, Carnos, in that thread I had to explain to Lemon, the electoral system in Netherlands, how it works, if I was wrong anyplace it would be that Wilders polled as high 22% prior to elections, not 20%.
but it STILL did not change the argument that he was never in position to form the government, to become its leader. The idiocy she was proposing.
Obviously the tiny mind of Carnos failed to grasp that concept as well,
or comprehension is not ine of your strong assets .
You are becoming a shiny example of failure of our edumacational system......

Date: March 20, 2017 01:17AM
You just don't know when to stop lying....except to insult the people who call you out on it.
Date: March 20, 2017 01:37AM
btfc
' “I’m not wild about everything in it.......
We all know how things work out there.
That was not the argument. that is your crabwalk.
That is your St.Vitus dance.
That is your lack of comprehension.
That is what makes it a colossal fail...

Speedy made the point that Obama made a mistake by signing off on the law.
I agreed with him, and having the knowledge of the industry I expounded on why it was bad move.

You came in with the idiotic "miserable fail" your argument being ""House votes to lift crude oil export ban despite opposition from White House", as if Obama would, or could not veto it
I pointed out that was it le, the deal was made already, Obama signed off on it the same day.
You painted yourself into a corner and just started pouring more crappy paint around you.

Now, poor btfc, you are dancing all over the place with your strawmen on how and why the deal was made.
That might be a valid discussion on a separate thread, you are welcome to start your own OP, but it is still a pathetic strawman on this one.
The end result is that Obama did sign the bill, giving away all the advantages listed in the prior post you attacked. That is a fact.
You failed to show anything otherwise.
It is still your monumental fail btfc....

Date: March 20, 2017 01:49AM
Nope, that WAS the argument. Despite your misleading efforts, you tried to spin this as something Obama wanted, and when btfc and others show you that that portion of the bill was in fact a primarily Republican production, you were called out on your crabbing and lying...at which point you started to say everyone else was crabbing (typical Trump styled insult to attempt to hurl the same criticisms levied at you unsuccessfully back to your accusers). This is just like the Netherlands thread.

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 20, 2017 08:15AM
"I have an animated gif. Your argument is invalid."
Posted by: wave rider
Date: March 20, 2017 06:39PM
smiley-laughing001
Lux Interior

=wr=
Date: March 24, 2017 01:10AM
wave rider
Lux Interior

Max's auspicious success at public service for the unfortunate illiterates.
Pictures for those unable to comprehend the written word....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 143
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015