advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: $140.64 ( -0.28 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Ex-North Carolina police chief rips customs agents for detaining him because of his name
Posted by: hal
Date: March 19, 2017 06:44PM
[www.rawstory.com]

A retired police chief from Greenville, North Carolina harshly criticized immigration officials who pulled him out of line, stripped him of his possessions and detained him due to his name.

Writing on Facebook on Saturday, retired cop Hassan Aden said he was returning from Paris where he helped his mother celebrate her 80th birthday when he was singled out and pulled from line by a customs official at John F. Kennedy International Airport who asked, “Are you traveling alone? Let’s take a walk.”

“I was taken to a back office which looked to be a re-purposed storage facility with three desks and signs stating, ‘Remain seated at all times’ and ‘Use of telephones strictly prohibited’—my first sign that this was not a voluntary situation and, in fact, a detention,” Aden wrote. ”

snip

“I spent nearly 30 years serving the public in law enforcement. I interface with high level U.S. Department of Justice and Federal Court officials almost daily,” he wrote. “Prior to this administration, I frequently attended meetings at the White House and advised on national police policy reforms. All that to say, if this can happen to me, it can happen to anyone with attributes that can be ‘profiled.’ No one is safe from this type of unlawful government intrusion.”

facebook post: [www.facebook.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ex-North Carolina police chief rips customs agents for detaining him because of his name
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: March 19, 2017 08:09PM
It happened to me in the UK at Heathrow Airport in the 1980's because some people think I look Middle-Eastern. The fact that I was a teenager traveling with my mother who is obviously of northern European ancestry made no difference to them. This was at the time the PLO was hijacking 'planes and setting off bombs. I was made to remove most of my clothes. My camera (unfortunately it was the Minolta "Freedom One" - that name certainly did not help me out) was dismantled.

The difference is that I didn't mind too much. Better to be safe than sorry. Yes, it sucks to be singled out because of appearance or name, but when the enemy is of the same appearance or name, it is understandable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2017 08:12PM by S. Pupp.
Re: Ex-North Carolina police chief rips customs agents for detaining him because of his name
Posted by: bfd
Date: March 19, 2017 08:17PM
Sadly, a sector of the population has been asking for this level of profiling for quite awhile. They're OK with this because it doesn't affect them - as crackers. Little do they realize that it simply opens the door for it to absolutely affect them. Then they'll howl.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: March 19, 2017 08:22PM
S. Pupp

The difference is that I didn't mind too much. Better to be safe than sorry. Yes, it sucks to be singled out because of appearance or name, but when the enemy is of the same appearance or name, it is understandable.

Is that sarcasm?

Profiling people by ethnicity, religion, nationality or race does nothing to prevent terrorism, this has been shown time and again. It's part of the reason that Trump's travel bans have failed to past muster with judges. What it does do is needlessly harass law abiding people and create a climate of suspicion, hate and distrust.
Our discrimination against Muslims actually hurts our fight against people who want to hurt us.
Posted by: samintx
Date: March 19, 2017 09:09PM
I am not thinking this ban is going well. I just saw on the news where Asians are being denied school. The are or are not under. The Dreamer bill. It pertains to Spanish but does not seem to be for Asians because they are getting hit with 45 law enforcement.
Posted by: GGD
Date: March 19, 2017 09:16PM
I've been thinking that it might be time to get a new passport (last one expired years ago). I'm not planning any foreign travel, but it might be a good idea to carry it for domestic travel under this administration.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 19, 2017 09:29PM
I realize that I'm white so its easier for me to say this but -

documents for travel within the country? @#$%& that. and @#$%& it loudly.

GGD
I've been thinking that it might be time to get a new passport (last one expired years ago). I'm not planning any foreign travel, but it might be a good idea to carry it for domestic travel under this administration.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 20, 2017 08:40AM
GGD

It doesn't matter. American Citizens have been deported for years. Our Immigration systems have been totally broken for decades. Nobody is immune.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 20, 2017 09:33AM

"We've got our eye on you!" -TSA
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 20, 2017 11:12AM
Steve G.

"We've got our eye on you!" -TSA

FTFY

"The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing" -- Socrates
“I’m, like, a really smart person.” -- Donald Trump
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 20, 2017 04:41PM
GGD

Carry a Republican voter ID registration card. That'll carry more pull than any federal U.S. document.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 20, 2017 05:01PM
deckeda
GGD

Carry a Republican voter ID registration card. That'll carry more pull than any federal U.S. document.

Or a red MAGA hat.
Posted by: August West
Date: March 20, 2017 07:15PM
Lemon Drop
S. Pupp

Is that sarcasm?

Profiling people by ethnicity, religion, nationality or race does nothing to prevent terrorism, this has been shown time and again. It's part of the reason that Trump's travel bans have failed to past muster with judges. What it does do is needlessly harass law abiding people and create a climate of suspicion, hate and distrust.
Our discrimination against Muslims actually hurts our fight against people who want to hurt us.

A big +1. I'm not expert in this, but I think the Israeli model is one to look at. Think about what you are doing, do a little data analysis about prospective travelers, and then talk with them. I may have that wrong, but I'm trying to remember El Al's process from a while back.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 218
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015