advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Yup, it was racism that got him elected
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 17, 2017 03:32PM
I know that here it's considered racist to remind people that race still matters in America, but I'm posting this anyway, because, you know, that's one of the stupidest things people here repeat nonstop.

It wasn't 45's chiefly authoritarian appeal or frustration over income inequality, folks. It was good old American bigotry and a desire to elect its champion.

Edited to provide a WaPo link that doesn't require a login (I hope).

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2017 04:11PM by rjmacs.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Yup, it was racism that got him elected
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 17, 2017 03:53PM
yup

Posted by: samintx
Date: April 17, 2017 03:56PM
I think I see some merit in your conclusion.
Posted by: steve...
Date: April 17, 2017 04:18PM
I cannot understand why 45, Spicer, Pence and other Republicans keep blaming the previous administration for everything. I am beginning to think it is racism. I don't remember Obama blaming Bush or Bush blaming Clinton on an ongoing basis.

45 is causing more polarization by constantly blaming Obama, who I think a majority of Americans respect more.

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 17, 2017 04:22PM
I don't know if most Trump voters are racist, but most racist voters voted for Trump.
Posted by: pdq
Date: April 17, 2017 04:25PM
One might even call this deplorable.

But that would be smug.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 17, 2017 04:27PM
While the Republican Party has been the racist party since Nixon's Southern Strategy, the appeal to racists was more overt and more successful in 2016 so no doubt we can expect Pres. Trump to ramp up the racism during the 2020 campaign.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: April 17, 2017 04:29PM
steve...
I cannot understand why 45, Spicer, Pence and other Republicans keep blaming the previous administration for everything. I am beginning to think it is racism. I don't remember Obama blaming Bush or Bush blaming Clinton on an ongoing basis.

45 is causing more polarization by constantly blaming Obama, who I think a majority of Americans respect more.

The Obama Administration did the same thing because it was quite justified (Great Recession, Iraq War). They just didn't tweet.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 17, 2017 05:14PM
the problem is that it doesn't do any good to call racists racist. they're all "we're not racist just practical"

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 17, 2017 05:16PM
mattkime
the problem is that it doesn't do any good to call racists racist. they're all "we're not racist just practical"

I think the point of the research was to identify what influenced voters in the election, not to say that calling people racist is a great way to address their racism.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: max
Date: April 17, 2017 06:10PM
steve...
I am beginning to think it is racism. I don't remember Obama blaming Bush ....

Denial of inconvenient history, blatant revisionism in full bloom.....

2012: "President Obama claimed that George W. Bush began for Operation Fast and Furious, in addition to contradicting his inspector general by claiming that he gave Congress “almost all” of the documents pertaining to the gun walking.

“I think it’s important for us to understand that Fast and Furious was a field operation begun under the previous administration,” Obama said when asked if he will fire Attorney General Eric Holder. Operation Fast and Furious began in 2009. The president was conflating Fast and Furious with Operation Wide Receiver, a law enforcement tactic that began in 2006 and ended in 2007"
[www.washingtonexaminer.com]

2012: :Obama said that the country's budget deficits and big debt were the result of the George W. Bush's two tax cuts, as well as the Iraq and Afghanistan wars."
[www.politico.com]

2014: "This predates my presidency. When I was in the Senate,.." blah whitewash myself, whitewash myself, it is previous administration fault, blah blah, more whitewash....
[www.washingtonpost.com]

2014: six years in power still dragging out the same excuse....
"CHRIS WALLACE: You talk about income inequality. Some experts say the real reason that you got such income inequality is because of the weak Obama economic recovery. Let's take a look at some of the numbers there. Since the president took office, median household income has dropped from $55,900 to $52,100. Poverty has increased by 6.7 million to a record 46.5 million, and participation in the labor force has dropped from 65.7 percent to a 36-year low of 62.8%. Wouldn't a stronger, more robust economy and recovery solve a lot of these problems the president is talking about?

DAN PFEIFFER: Well, absolutely, but I think it's important to remember this president inherited the worst economic situation since the Great Depression. A financial crisis. But —

WALLACE: But the recession ended four years ago."
[freebeacon.com]

This is not to say that Bush was not an idiot . and has not caused some problems, but you are ignoring the fact that a lot of listed problems, including the slow, snail like recovery were all of Obama making....
Date: April 17, 2017 06:32PM
and the total Republican obstructionism in Congress.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 17, 2017 09:02PM
no kidding
Posted by: August West
Date: April 18, 2017 12:59AM
On the initial reading of the WP blog, I question the interpretation of the data for public consummation; my initial impression is that it has been oversimplified. Of course, it's late and I am not going to do a heightened breakdown, but, for example, while there is an emphasis in the interpretation on the role of racism in the election, it appears that the data is showing there was a lessening in racist attitudes in this election as compared to the previous one, and the movement towards Trump in the upper quartiles of symbolic racism indicators are due more to a lessening of racial sensitivity by Democratic voters, as opposed to an increase in racial sensitivity by Republican voters. Bottom line, you have to be careful when interpreting data.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: michaelb
Date: April 18, 2017 06:56AM
the article does not discuss sexism, so I wonder how much racism was a proxy for sexism as well.
Posted by: August West
Date: April 18, 2017 11:45AM
michaelb
the article does not discuss sexism, so I wonder how much racism was a proxy for sexism as well.

Great point.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 18, 2017 11:52AM
Oh, absolutely sexism came into play. The absurd criticisms of Clinton for health problems that did not exist, and crimes that had not occurred, and the generalized fear of a strong woman which we see time and again in politics in this country -- compared to the essentially smooth ride given Trump, a man who could barely put two sentences together and believes in fairy tales. And that folderol about how Clinton was determined to start WWIII is pretty ironic now.

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: April 18, 2017 11:56AM
I would guess that the demographic profile of voters who would "never vote for a black man for president" is close, if not identical, to the profile of voters who would "never vote for a woman for president."
Posted by: michaelb
Date: April 18, 2017 12:22PM
DeusxMac
I would guess that the demographic profile of voters who would "never vote for a black man for president" is close, if not identical, to the profile of voters who would "never vote for a woman for president."

Right. And if they didn't survey separately on sexist attitudes, then they may not be able to do regression analysis and compare the racist views of misogynists vs the misogynistic views of racists. But the entirely reasonable assumption is that they overlap in large measure.

That they did not find a strong authoritarian tendency is somewhat reassuring since that was a major part of the build up before the election.
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 18, 2017 01:17PM
Build that wall

Corrupt Hillary

There's your racism and sexism neatly contained in two sentences.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 209
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015