Forums

AAPL stock: $144.53 ( +0.89 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
How do you feel? Some truth or not?
Posted by: samintx
Date: April 20, 2017 08:29AM
[www.theatlantic.com]

Personally I saw the Fallon clip and hated it. Thought at the time No don't do it.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How do you feel? Some truth or not?
Posted by: beagledave
Date: April 20, 2017 09:08AM
So if there was no John Oliver, Stephen Colbert or Samantha Bee, Trump would not have won?

Riggggght.

Click bait article with a meaningless premise.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 20, 2017 09:12AM

Keep him happy or he'll 'armada' you.
Posted by: samintx
Date: April 20, 2017 09:24AM
agree smiley
beagledave
So if there was no John Oliver, Stephen Colbert or Samantha Bee, Trump would not have won?

Riggggght.

Click bait article with a meaningless premise.

I still wish Fallon had not done the hair thing, however.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 20, 2017 09:32AM
Satire and comedy is a symptom, not a cause. Comedians are observers of human nature and events. And the truth. while painful, is often funny.The inability of the 'deplorables' to find humor in their own antics is a character defect.

One of the best features of Presidents Bush and Obama was their ability to laugh at satire, and even poke fun at themselves.

Humor is a safety valve on human nature. Wince, laugh, and then relax.
Posted by: davester
Date: April 20, 2017 09:45AM
That article is idiotic. Trump's own disrespect for Hillary (and many others) was far more egregious than anything those comedians have done, and disrespect is their job, not his. Let's not even mention everybody on the Fox News network and am radio.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2017 09:47AM by davester.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 20, 2017 11:32AM
The article goes to extremes but buried in the middle is an excellent point.

Watch some video clips from the black-and-white days of television and you will see amazing conversations on late night talk shows. Intelligent, in-depth conversations about politics and world events.

Try to picture any network today allowing William F. Buckley and Gore Vidal to debate during prime time. Aside from the fact that nowadays most people would have no idea who Gore Vidal is because he had no TV show, the idea of network executives saying "Let's have two talking heads go at each other with nobody stepping in to crack wise and lighten things up" is unimaginable.

The fact that the best political conversations are via jokes is in fact a sad and serious statement. I think the author careens around from topic to topic and the result is an incoherent diatribe, but there is a kernel of truth there that I for one agree with.

Posted by: pdq
Date: April 20, 2017 02:04PM
davester
That article is idiotic. Trump's own disrespect for Hillary (and many others) was far more egregious than anything those comedians have done, and disrespect is their job, not his. Let's not even mention everybody on the Fox News network and am radio.

^this.

Sorry, but personally, I'm not going to shut up about all the dumb stuff Trump does (and says, and represents) just because some snowflake wingnut might get their feelings hurt.

But then, I'm smug.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 20, 2017 02:23PM
I don't think that's what the article was about, folks.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 20, 2017 04:33PM
davester
Let's not even mention everybody on the Fox News network and am radio.

This^. Many times over. The author of the essay forgot to mention the above. The comedians are an important part of today's discourse. They did not put Trump in the alt.White House; talk radio and Faux News used propaganda to get just enough votes to make the difference.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 293
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015