advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Seattle mayor accused of abuse, and managing it badly
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: April 20, 2017 09:45AM
[komonews.com]

As you've probably heard, Seattle's mayor Ed Murray has been accused of sexually abusing 3 men and paying them for sex when they were teens and he was in his 30s. One of those men has just filed a lawsuit, and revealed his identity.

The mayor is just beginning his campaign for re-election, an election he was expected to win easily before this thing started. A number of new challengers have emerged since news of this lawsuit broke.

He has denied knowing the alleged victim and went so far as to publicly reveal results of a medical exam that showed he has no mole on his private parts, as described by the accusers. Unfortunately he's also engaging in quite a lot of victim-blaming and self-pitying behavior that makes him seem guilty, in my view. He described the accuser as "troubled" before his name had been publicly revealed, which is odd. He is also accusing this man and his attorneys of being politically motivated, and there is no evidence to support that claim.

I hope the allegations are false because you always hope that abuse never happened, but frankly being falsely accused is a lot less damaging to a person than being sexually molested.

This story is going to say a lot about how far we've come (or not) in creating an atmosphere where people feel safe to say they've been abused. Murray deserves his day in court and if he's not guilty he deserves to be cleared, but he's saying way too much in public at this point.

[komonews.com]

[www.thestranger.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Seattle mayor accused of abuse, and managing it badly
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 20, 2017 09:50AM
In cases like this, I always ask... Qui bono ?

I do agree that victims of abuse should have their opportunity to have their stories heard, and their abusers face justice. I also agree that victims should not be 'shamed' for being abused.. that's horrible, and produces a chilling effect on other victims, keeping them from coming forth.

Silence perpetuates the cycle of abusers producing a newer generation of abusers.
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 20, 2017 11:35AM
I don't know this case and my comment isn't about this case or this guy.

But in general.

What is wrong with people?
Posted by: billb
Date: April 20, 2017 11:36AM
just another revered and troubled progressive for your admired pedestals

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 20, 2017 11:47AM
billb
just another revered and troubled progressive for your admired pedestals

and a nominee for the Dennis Hastert Family Values Trophy.

I guess that's a comparison we'll just have to wrestle with.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: April 20, 2017 12:22PM
I don't think the Hastert model quite fits - Murray has always been open about his sexuality, was an early advocate for gay rights, and is married to a man. And so far he denies all charges and hasn't settled any lawsuits.
So he won't be labeled a hypocrite if the charges stick, just a criminal, and dishonest. (which is bad enough)
Posted by: bruceko
Date: April 20, 2017 01:07PM
I am not a fan of Mayor Murray. When he speaks he is very monotone and almost looks like he is in pain. Never seen him smile but now that there are accusations against hem he seems to always have a smile on his face. He looks much better.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 252
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015