advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Breaking News: Paris shooting....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 20, 2017 02:54PM
...at least 2 attackers, 1 killed.....probably terrorist....

.....1 policeman dead.....1 wounded.....

Police officer killed, another wounded in Paris shooting

.....One policeman was killed and another wounded in a shooting incident in central Paris on Thursday night, a police source said.

A person who fired on police on the Champs-Elysees shopping boulevard just days ahead of France's presidential election has been killed, the source said. A police source also said there had been two assailants, and a witness told Reuters that one man got out of a car at the scene and began shooting with a machine gun.

Police authorities called on the public to avoid the area.

A Reuters reporter saw a helicopter flying low over central Paris, apparently part of a follow-up police operation.

French TV channel BFM broadcast footage of the Arc de Triomphe monument and top half of the Champs Elysees packed with police vans, lights flashing and heavily armed police shutting the area down after what was described by one journalist as a major exchange of fire nears a Marks and Spencers store.

The incident came as French voters prepared go to the polls on Sunday in the most tightly-contested presidential election in living memory.

France has lived under a state of emergency since 2015 and has suffered a spate of Islamist militant attacks that have killed more than 230 people in the past two years.

Earlier this week, two men were arrested in Marseille whom police said had been planning an attack ahead of the election.

A machine gun, two hand guns and three kilos of TATP explosive were among the weapons found at a flat in the southern city along with jihadist propaganda materials according to the Paris prosecutor.

more details to follow........................?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2017 02:58PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Breaking News: Paris shooting....
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 20, 2017 03:30PM
I will make an incredibly oversimplified statement here....

This is the sort of thing you get when you do NOT allow immigrants to blend with your society, and treat them like second class or non citizens. They don't integrate. They can't get jobs. They feel helpless. They find someone who will help them feel stronger.

If you fear immigrants and warehouse them, you will have reasons to fear them. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 20, 2017 04:05PM
cbelt3

This is the sort of thing you get when you do NOT allow immigrants to blend with your society, and treat them like second class or non citizens. They don't integrate. They can't get jobs. They feel helpless. They find someone who will help them feel stronger.

If you fear immigrants and warehouse them, you will have reasons to fear them. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Well stated. However, this attack could just be electioneering by the far right because something like this plays right into their hands.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: billb
Date: April 20, 2017 04:24PM
Of course, Jihadism has nothing to do with this. They are all victims of western society. So let's all destroy western society.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: April 20, 2017 04:31PM
Well Seattle had THREE officers shot this afternoon, while responding to a robbery downtown, so I guess we win today.

(They're all OK)

Can people just stop shooting each other? Is that so much to ask?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 20, 2017 04:35PM
Lemon Drop
Can people just stop shooting each other? Is that so much to ask?

People are just exercising their Second Amendment rights.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Wags
Date: April 20, 2017 05:09PM
cbelt3

I would say yes to that.

I would also say that when I visit another country I try my best to follow their customs and mores, at least to the point where reason prevails. If you're coming to our country solely to establish an enclave for your culture, and it's one intent on misogyny, homophobia, and the idea that your particular brand of organized superstition supersedes civil authority, then I say stay you're welcome to visit, but go home after.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 20, 2017 05:26PM
Wags
cbelt3

I would say yes to that.

I would also say that when I visit another country I try my best to follow their customs and mores, at least to the point where reason prevails. If you're coming to our country solely to establish an enclave for your culture, and it's one intent on misogyny, homophobia, and the idea that your particular brand of organized superstition supersedes civil authority, then I say stay you're welcome to visit, but go home after.

That last sentence sounds like Red rural conservative America.
Posted by: pdq
Date: April 20, 2017 05:52PM
Wags
If you're coming to our country solely to establish an enclave for your culture, and it's one intent on misogyny, homophobia, and the idea that your particular brand of organized superstition supersedes civil authority...

The straw immigrant attacks!
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 20, 2017 06:05PM
The guy's from Belgium.
Date: April 20, 2017 07:19PM
They should just bomb Belgium back to the middle ages.

(Just kidding!)
Date: April 20, 2017 07:39PM
Dennis S

That last sentence sounds like Red rural conservative America.

So what? That's a knee-jerk putdown that doesn't hold up. Just because they're married to their cousins doesn't mean that everything they say is not worth considering. I feel personally offended when I see women walking around in burkas. What utter bs. Christians are almost as chauvinistic. They both disrespect woman and brainwash their kids. No room for that in a free society.
Date: April 20, 2017 07:41PM
pdq
Wags
If you're coming to our country solely to establish an enclave for your culture, and it's one intent on misogyny, homophobia, and the idea that your particular brand of organized superstition supersedes civil authority...

Are you trying to say that's a straw man argument? How so?
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: April 20, 2017 08:49PM
Wags
I feel personally offended when I see women walking around in burkas. What utter bs. Christians are almost as chauvinistic. They both disrespect woman and brainwash their kids. No room for that in a free society.

Though I know the argument is complicated, I mostly agree with this sentiment.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: April 21, 2017 06:19AM
Wags
If you're coming to our country solely to establish an enclave for your culture, and it's one intent on misogyny, homophobia, and the idea that your particular brand of organized superstition supersedes civil authority, then I say stay you're welcome to visit, but go home after.

Too late. The pilgrims arrived a long time ago.
Date: April 21, 2017 10:55AM
Lux Interior
Wags
If you're coming to our country solely to establish an enclave for your culture, and it's one intent on misogyny, homophobia, and the idea that your particular brand of organized superstition supersedes civil authority, then I say stay you're welcome to visit, but go home after.

Too late. The pilgrims arrived a long time ago.

True that. Good read: [www.goodreads.com]
Date: April 21, 2017 01:11PM
Wags
pdq
Wags

Not really quite a straw man, I suppose, but I think you're describing a largely imaginary immigrant.

We've heard complaints about those strange new immigrants with their strange languages and customs who don't want to assimilate (or who just want to take over!) since this country was founded. The Irish, Italians, Eastern Europeans, the yellow peril, Mexicans etc, etc. The fact is, most US citizens can trace back to someone who was more-or-less forced to leave someplace else because of persecution, economics, or starvation. They don't always find relief or assimilate, but their kids almost always will.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 21, 2017 01:26PM
Not sure if he is an immigrant at all. Good chance he was born in France. Lived with parents.

The gunman behind a shootout on the Champs-Elysees that left one police officer dead and two others wounded was a 39-year-old French citizen who had done time in prison for trying to kill another gendarme.

Karim Cheurfi served 11 years before he was released in 2012, Paris prosecutor Francois Molins said Friday.

But a year later, Cheurfi was back behind bars for violating parole and wasn't released until October 2015, after which he was required to regularly report his whereabouts to police, Molins said.
Date: April 21, 2017 02:24PM
pdq
Wags
pdq
Wags

Not really quite a straw man, I suppose, but I think you're describing a largely imaginary immigrant.

We've heard complaints about those strange new immigrants with their strange languages and customs who don't want to assimilate (or who just want to take over!) since this country was founded. The Irish, Italians, Eastern Europeans, the yellow peril, Mexicans etc, etc. The fact is, most US citizens can trace back to someone who was more-or-less forced to leave someplace else because of persecution, economics, or starvation. They don't always find relief or assimilate, but their kids almost always will.

Maybe I'm just hallucinating those burka-wearing women trailing behind their western-garbed men that I see every day, as well as the teenage girls covered head to foot next to their brothers wearing Blazer t-shirts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2017 02:26PM by Wags.
Date: April 21, 2017 02:54PM
...and what part of that represents a "sole effort to establish an enclave for your culture"?

I mean, there's all kinds of religious garb worn in the US, from hats to undies, by all sorts of religious sects. I don't go for burkas either, although I've maybe seen one in real life (vs thousands of head scarves.)

In any case, I don't think it follows that they're solely here just to establish a kind of cultural beachhead, which is the way your original post read.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 21, 2017 03:22PM
Sleeper activated by targeted FSB tweets.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: April 21, 2017 07:58PM
pdq
...and what part of that represents a "sole effort to establish an enclave for your culture"?

I mean, there's all kinds of religious garb worn in the US, from hats to undies, by all sorts of religious sects. I don't go for burkas either, although I've maybe seen one in real life (vs thousands of head scarves.)

In any case, I don't think it follows that they're solely here just to establish a kind of cultural beachhead, which is the way your original post read.

Date: April 21, 2017 09:07PM
pdq

If you were to read it again you would see that they key point is about homophobia, child abuse, and most especially misogyny. Forcing women to go veiled is abhorrent. That's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to all the Abrahamic religions. If you are in any way saying that's OK with you then I got nothing else to say.

And I said enclave, not beach head. Look it up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2017 09:09PM by Wags.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 210
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015