Forums

AAPL stock: $143.59 ( +1.32 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Chaffetz leaving Congress "as soon as tomorrow"
Posted by: pdq
Date: April 20, 2017 05:36PM
Huh?

Republican officials in Utah expect Rep. Jason Chaffetz to step down from Congress, possibly as early as Friday, and were in the early stages of preparing for a special election to fill his 3rd district seat.

Why?

Utah Rep. Jason Chaffetz — who shocked the political establishment when he announced his retirement earlier this week — said that he has already started looking for post-congressional employment, and hopes to serve on boards of directors and link up with a television network.

I started poking around to see what I might be worth and what sort of possibilities are there,” Chaffetz said in a phone interview with POLITICO Thursday afternoon..."I’d be thrilled to have a television relationship."

Nice work, if you can find a rich Republican sugar daddy to pay you. Heck, maybe he's the new Bill O'Reilly.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Chaffetz leaving Congress "as soon as tomorrow"
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: April 20, 2017 05:39PM
Very disrespectful to voters to not complete your term, when you're able.

Smacks of half-term Palin.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 20, 2017 05:49PM
At least he was honest about it. "I can make more money elsewhere, so buh bye". Maybe Wonkette is right about him not being able to enjoy life without any Clinton investigations...

Date: April 20, 2017 05:50PM
If it actually happens tomorrow, it's a little weird, too. Politico says he told them this today:

“I might depart early,” he said in the interview. “It’s not tomorrow, it’s not next week. If it is, it’s going to be in the months to come.”

But apparently in Utah, the R's know he's leaving much sooner.

He claims it's not some scandal, and I'll have to take him at his word on that. But it seems to be something (a TV gig?), and I suspect we'll hear soon.
Posted by: hal
Date: April 20, 2017 05:54PM
It sure sounds like someone told him to 'get out' or else THIS goes public.
Posted by: Pam
Date: April 20, 2017 05:59PM
hal
It sure sounds like someone told him to 'get out' or else THIS goes public.

Yeppers. Go FBI. I hope they're behind the Assange charges and it's not a Trump misdirection.
Date: April 20, 2017 06:00PM
Lots of chatter about scandal, including Trump-related scandal...but it would be odd for him to deny it so point-blank if he knew something was about to come out.

popcorn smiley
Posted by: samintx
Date: April 20, 2017 06:12PM
Weird really weird.
Posted by: davester
Date: April 20, 2017 06:17PM
Don't let the door hit you in the...

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: April 20, 2017 06:29PM
Apparently he's had enough enemas.

He said unequivocally that no scandal was involved in his decision to leave before his term was up.

"No," he said. "I have had more enemas about my background than just about anybody, so absolutely, positively no. That's ridiculous. No way, shape or form."

[www.sltrib.com]
Date: April 20, 2017 06:31PM
pdq
Lots of chatter about scandal, including Trump-related scandal...but it would be odd for him to deny it so point-blank if he knew something was about to come out.

popcorn smiley

Not just kompromat, potentially money laundering through campaign funds. Not the last either. Supposedly some surprise names in store. His was actually one of the surprises.
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 20, 2017 06:35PM
Lemon Drop
Apparently he's had enough enemas.

He said unequivocally that no scandal was involved in his decision to leave before his term was up.

"No," he said. "I have had more enemas about my background than just about anybody, so absolutely, positively no. That's ridiculous. No way, shape or form."

[www.sltrib.com]

I think he's running from the Russian investigations.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 20, 2017 07:03PM
I don't get it. If it's going to come out anyhow, how would quitting help him? Maybe he gets to keep his pension that way? I'm just guessing.

Date: April 20, 2017 07:41PM
$tevie
I don't get it. If it's going to come out anyhow, how would quitting help him? Maybe he gets to keep his pension that way? I'm just guessing.

Could have been a deal to roll on someone else. His statements about running for office in the future won't happen.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 20, 2017 07:56PM
Lock him up?
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 20, 2017 09:59PM
Normal citizens may never know what really happened the last 6 months, and this is only one of those unsolved mysteries.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 20, 2017 10:52PM
Family (nah)? Governor? Enemas? $$$$$$$? Russians? Golden showers??

Maybe Speaker Ryan threatened to boot him from his chair of the investigative committee because Rep. Chaffetz would be too aggressive investigating Pres. Trump. Probably not because his empty investigation of Sec. Clinton demonstrates he is not ethical. That and his flip-flop on endorsing Candidate Trump.

pdq, pass the popcorn smiley

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2017 10:53PM by Speedy.
Posted by: samintx
Date: April 21, 2017 08:16AM
Where was he when his kids were growing up? Now he is an empty nester and he wants to spend time with "family"?????????

After his turnaround on 45 I don't trust Chaffetz.
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 21, 2017 05:03PM
I told this to my wife, who immediately said, 'What's the scandal?'
Posted by: Blurb
Date: April 23, 2017 02:06PM
Friday's article in DailyKos was enlightening: [www.dailykos.com]

Seems there's something for everyone in this developing scandal: ongoing affairs, money laundering, even some Russian connections popcorn smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 298
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015