advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: $153.58 ( -0.29 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Breaking News: DOJ appoints Special Counsel to oversee Russian Investigation......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 17, 2017 05:03PM
.......Robert Mueller......yay....!!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2017 05:09PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Breaking News: DOJ appoints Special Counsel to oversee Russian Investigation......
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 17, 2017 05:16PM
Nice scoop, Newt! This is increasingly where I turn for breaking news heads-ups.

At first blush, Mueller seems like a surprisingly good pick, considering.
Re: Breaking News: DOJ appoints Special Counsel to oversee Russian Investigation......
Date: May 17, 2017 05:20PM
Maybe Rosenstein wanted to get this announced before he heads into the lion's den Senate committee closed-door session tomorrow...
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 17, 2017 05:26PM
Maybe it's a trap. Trump will surely want to fire Mueller, and then all the real fun can begin.

Posted by: hal
Date: May 17, 2017 05:28PM
A fine choice by the DOJ - I trust Mueller to be independent...
Posted by: samintx
Date: May 17, 2017 05:49PM
NewtonMP2100
.......Robert Mueller......yay....!!!

I knew you weren't just a pretty face. Good timely post,Newtsmiley-gen013
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 17, 2017 06:25PM
If anyone was wondering how Rosenstein was going to pay Trump back for saying Comey's firing was Rosenstein's idea.
Date: May 17, 2017 06:45PM
Yeah, I was wondering about the timing on this. Mueller is quitting his (presumably lucrative) law firm to do this, a decision which isn't made in a snap - so when did Rosenstein ask him? This morning? Late last night, after the bombshell NYT piece?

And did Trump have any knowledge of this? I presume he did, but maybe he didn't. I guess we'll learn from the tweets...
Date: May 17, 2017 07:40PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2017 07:46PM by Steve G..
Posted by: Pam
Date: May 17, 2017 09:19PM
From what I understand Mueller's firm had done some work for Ivanka and Jared. He needed to cut ties with the firm
Posted by: Wags
Date: May 17, 2017 09:52PM
Pardon my highly developed sense of skepticism, but his law firm represents Paul Manafort and Jarod Kushner. Plus, they are already floating the idea that the investigation could take 20 months or more, a timeline that could conveniently end after the 2018 elections. Hope I'm wrong.
Date: May 17, 2017 11:06PM
9:25 p.m.

President Donald Trump says a thorough investigation will confirm what he says is already known: that there was no collusion between his presidential campaign and any foreign entity.

Trump commented late Wednesday after the Justice Department announced the appointment of former FBI director Robert Mueller to oversee the probe into Trump-Russian connection in the 2016 election.

Trump says In a written statement that he looks forward to "this matter concluding quickly."
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 18, 2017 12:01AM
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: May 18, 2017 08:58AM
It would be tough to find any major law firm that didn't have ties to a Trump business, a Trump business associate, or a Trump family member.

Wilmer Hale has over 1,000 attorneys working on 3 continents, and Mueller did no work with Kushner, Ivanka, or Manafort.

I'm more concerned about how Jeff Sessions and other people at DOJ will try to influence this thing. Sessions recused himself but who knows what he's doing behind the scenes.

Mueller seems like a good guy and he's a-political, I can give him the benefit of the doubt.
Date: May 18, 2017 09:59AM
I'm guessing Flynn will probably have to take a plea bargain, or depend on the mercy of the congress and counsel.

If Carter Page ("I didn't want to be a Russian spy") keeps up his snarky attitude, he'll probably see jail time.

Manafort and all the other sleezy Trump pals who were ethics-deficient where it came to easy money from Russia and Ukraine, who the hell knows.

I don't know if Trump himself was guilty - I haven't seen evidence that he's bright enough to scheme beyond schoolboy bullying, but at least now the story will come out, and I doubt it will be flattering to Trump.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 335
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015