advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: $155.89 ( -3.8741 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Barbara Jordan on impeachment
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 17, 2017 08:52PM
Interesting to hear/read what Barbara Jordan had to say about impeachment in 1974. I heard an excerpt on 1A tonight and ran for Google when the show ended:

It is wrong, I suggest, it is a misreading of the Constitution for any member here to assert that for a member to vote for an article of impeachment means that that member must be convinced that the President should be removed from office. The Constitution doesn't say that. The powers relating to impeachment are an essential check in the hands of the body of the Legislature against and upon the encroachments of the Executive. The division between the two branches of the Legislature, the House and the Senate, assigning to the one the right to accuse and to the other the right to judge, the Framers of this Constitution were very astute. They did not make the accusers and the judgers -- and the judges the same person.

The drawing of political lines goes to the motivation behind impeachment; but impeachment must proceed within the confines of the constitutional term "high crime and misdemeanors." Of the impeachment process, it was Woodrow Wilson who said that "Nothing short of the grossest offenses against the plain law of the land will suffice to give them speed and effectiveness. Indignation so great as to overgrow party interest may secure a conviction; but nothing else can."

Common sense would be revolted if we engaged upon this process for petty reasons. Congress has a lot to do: Appropriations, Tax Reform, Health Insurance, Campaign Finance Reform, Housing, Environmental Protection, Energy Sufficiency, Mass Transportation. Pettiness cannot be allowed to stand in the face of such overwhelming problems. So today we are not being petty. We are trying to be big, because the task we have before us is a big one.
[www.americanrhetoric.com]

NOTE: If anybody has any idea why those sentences are struck out despite my NOT using the code for that, and my converting my cut and paste to plain text in an effort to get rid of it, I'd be might grateful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2017 08:54PM by $tevie.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Barbara Jordan on impeachment
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: May 17, 2017 09:00PM
$tevie
NOTE: If anybody has any idea why those sentences are struck out despite my NOT using the code for that, and my converting my cut and paste to plain text in an effort to get rid of it, I'd be might grateful.

It's the "s" in the brackets.

Posted by: Acer
Date: May 17, 2017 09:19PM
De-strikified for your pasting pleasure

$tevie
Interesting to hear/read what Barbara Jordan had to say about impeachment in 1974. I heard an excerpt on 1A tonight and ran for Google when the show ended:

It is wrong, I suggest, it is a misreading of the Constitution for any member here to assert that for a member to vote for an article of impeachment means that that member must be convinced that the President should be removed from office. The Constitution doesn't say that. The powers relating to impeachment are an essential check in the hands of the body of the Legislature against and upon the encroachments of the Executive. The division between the two branches of the Legislature, the House and the Senate, assigning to the one the right to accuse and to the other the right to judge, the Framers of this Constitution were very astute. They did not make the accusers and the judgers -- and the judges the same person.

The drawing of political lines goes to the motivation behind impeachment; but impeachment must proceed within the confines of the constitutional term "high crime[ s ] and misdemeanors." Of the impeachment process, it was Woodrow Wilson who said that "Nothing short of the grossest offenses against the plain law of the land will suffice to give them speed and effectiveness. Indignation so great as to overgrow party interest may secure a conviction; but nothing else can."

Common sense would be revolted if we engaged upon this process for petty reasons. Congress has a lot to do: Appropriations, Tax Reform, Health Insurance, Campaign Finance Reform, Housing, Environmental Protection, Energy Sufficiency, Mass Transportation. Pettiness cannot be allowed to stand in the face of such overwhelming problems. So today we are not being petty. We are trying to be big, because the task we have before us is a big one.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 17, 2017 10:05PM
Jeebus am I that blind? I checked liked five times and saw nothing.

Thanks for the help. Don't forget to read Jordan's speech!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2017 12:00AM by $tevie.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 184
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015