advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: $150.56 ( -2.90 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Reuters reports undisclosed contacts between Trump campaign and Russia
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 18, 2017 10:14AM
There's just too much dirt in this administration for one (or two, or three) news orgs, so Reuters piles on:

Reuters reported that former national security adviser Michael Flynn, along with other advisers to Trump, had contact with Russians in at least 18 calls or emails during the last seven months of Trump's 2016 presidential campaign.

Of the 18 undisclosed contacts, six were phone calls between Russia's ambassador to the U.S., Sergey Kislyak, and advisers to Trump, Reuters reported, citing current and former officials.

The calls and messages happened between April 2016 and November 2016, according to Reuters. The communications covered issues such as improving the U.S.-Russia economic relationship and fighting the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria. Officials said Flynn talked with Kislyak ahead of the president's inauguration about creating a back channel for communication between Trump and Russia.

Okay, playing the skeptic, so what? I mean, opening a back-channel of "diplomacy" between a Presidential campaign/candidate and a (ostensibly hostile) foreign power is a little Nixonian, but if some shmoe can get the Russians on the line, so what?

Trump has many times dismissed the investigation into his campaign's ties with Russia. The White House in January said it had not had any contacts with the Russians.

Denial first. When that becomes non-operative, I'm sure we'll hear that it was all legal and completely appropriate. At some point, I have to imagine, some congressional Republicans are going to start to tire of this administration's lather-rinse-repeat.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Reuters reports undisclosed contacts between Trump campaign and Russia
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 18, 2017 10:16AM
They will only tire of scandal when they start to lose elections because of it.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 18, 2017 10:19AM
pdq
At some point, I have to imagine, some congressional Republicans are going to start to tire of this administration's lather-rinse-repeat.

They may tire but you are dreaming if you think they will do anything about it. Not until they think they may lose their seats and right now Pres. Trump's 40% are still loyally backing him.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 18, 2017 10:24AM
If you read the original Reuters story the exact phrasing is "Conversations between Flynn and Kislyak accelerated after the Nov. 8 vote as the two discussed establishing a back channel for communication between Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin that could bypass the U.S. national security bureaucracy, which both sides considered hostile to improved relations, four current U.S. officials said." We need to prove intent, of course, but "bypassing US national security" is a tad more serious than whether or not some shmoe can get the Russians on the line. Not only does it sound shady, it sounds possibly illegal.

That said, I think we see everything through the lens of whether or not an action is something that will help free us from this madness. I don't know if even balled up into one big wad we have begun to approach "high crimes and misdemeanors".

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 18, 2017 11:54AM
$tevie
That said, I think we see everything through the lens of whether or not an action is something that will help free us from this madness. I don't know if even balled up into one big wad we have begun to approach "high crimes and misdemeanors".

Please remember that it's rarely an impressive straw that breaks the camel's back. The purpose of gathering it all together, exhausting the investigations, keeping up the pressure on multiple fronts, is to build the case.

It's the inertia of the evidence, slowly growing and gaining speed, that will push elected representatives, one at a time, to decide on which side of history they will stand. As his administration's toxicity grows, and the conversations turn from how to save this presidency to how to save GOP control of the White House, remember that Congressional impeachment and conviction are as much political as legal processes.

Let's all pray that he doesn't start a war for the purposes of distraction.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 19, 2017 12:50AM
Oh, he'll definitely start a war. That's why Bannon is still around. Either that or they're going for a home grown incident.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 207
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015