Forums

AAPL stock: $156.25 ( +0.27 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Flynn is not cooperating with the Senate committee
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 18, 2017 02:06PM
...at least not yet.

The committee issued the subpoena for Flynn’s records on May 10 after he declined to cooperate with an April 28 request for documents. That request was similar to ones received by other Trump associates, including former campaign chairman Paul Manafort, Trump associate Roger Stone and former Trump foreign policy adviser Carter Page...

...the requests...sought a wide array of electronic and paper records related to any contacts people affiliated with the Trump campaign had with Russian officials and Russian businesses.

Legal experts say that it’s unlikely Flynn would agree to turn over the personal documents because he would be waiving his constitutional protection against self-incrimination by doing so. Flynn, though his lawyer, had earlier asked for immunity from “unfair prosecution” in exchange for agreeing to cooperate with the committee.

"Unfair prosecution" = anything that results in me going to jail.

This is all fairly new to me. In my recollection of the Clinton years, a congressional subpoena couldn't just be ignored (or only complied with under a guarantee of immunity). Then, (the way I remember it) the Dems subpoenaed Karl Rove in relation to the widespread firing of the AG's that no one would own up to, and Rove said he wouldn't testify, and because the executive branch oversaw the Capitol (and DC?) police, Bush said that the subpoena wouldn't be enforced. And that was that.

Now they want favors and/or immunity to comply with a subpoena. Which, to me, means that there's no teeth any more. What about contempt of congress? (I mean, more than what we all hold normally...)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Flynn is not cooperating with the Senate committee
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 18, 2017 02:48PM
Rove claimed executive privilege. I think Congress has to really, really want to rumble before they fight that claim.
[www.pbs.org]

Posted by: pdq
Date: May 18, 2017 03:12PM
$tevie
Rove claimed executive privilege. I think Congress has to really, really want to rumble before they fight that claim.
[www.pbs.org]

Well, it was one of those things. Bush insisted (as well as Rove, I think) that they weren't involved in the firings at all. So how do you claim executive privilege over something you claim you never discussed?

But I came across one thing that I'd forgotten - after being subpoenaed, Rove eventually resigned from the administration, and at that point, with time running out on the Bush administration, and their approval ratings at historic lows, I think the push was abandoned.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 18, 2017 05:01PM
It's the DOJ and the FBI that have real power for criminal prosecution and sentencing. I don't think Flynn has much to worry about until Sessions is replaced by a non-puppet or Robert Mueller starts sinking his teeth in.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: hal
Date: May 18, 2017 05:22PM
Filliam H. Muffman
It's the DOJ and the FBI that have real power for criminal prosecution and sentencing. I don't think Flynn has much to worry about until Sessions is replaced by a non-puppet or Robert Mueller starts sinking his teeth in.

Session is recused - how do you think a non-partisan prosecutor got chosen? Or ANY prosecutor for that matter?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 18, 2017 05:30PM
hal
Filliam H. Muffman

Session is recused - how do you think a non-partisan prosecutor got chosen? Or ANY prosecutor for that matter?

Sessions is supposedly recused. Manafort and several others should have already been frog-marched into custody. I will believe Sessions is recused and the proper people are in control when that starts happening.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: hal
Date: May 18, 2017 06:51PM
If Sessions was still working on THIS, we'd be talking about Giuliani instead, doncha think? The fact that Mueller was chosen is clear proof that Sessions was not involved at all. Right?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 18, 2017 07:47PM
I believe you are correct, hal.Sessions wouldn't have done anything as sane as getting Mueller involved.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 215
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015