Is Ryan waiting in the wings?
Posted by: samintx
Date: May 18, 2017 10:53PM
Isn't he next in line after Pence?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is Ryan waiting in the wings?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 18, 2017 10:59PM
Yes, assuming he is still speaker at the time. If that unlikely event should happen, expect to see John Boehner sobbing again.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2017 11:01PM by Speedy.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 19, 2017 12:14AM
Ryan is second in line assuming the President and Vice President are unexpectedly unable to fulfill the requirements of office. Gerald Ford was appointed Vice President and then took over the office of President. I think it was just a coincidence that Ford was the minority leader of the Republicans in the House of Representatives. Ryan may be the obvious choice if both 45 and Pence aren't able to serve. The question is, who will be elected to herd the cats in the House of Representatives if he leaves...

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: GGD
Date: May 19, 2017 12:37AM
I think it would be a longshot for Ryan unless both Pres and VP get removed at the same time. Otherwise if Pres is removed first, VP will become Pres and then will appoint a new VP (Ford appointed Nelson Rockefeller). If VP is removed first, Pres will appoint a new VP (Nixon appointed Gerald Ford when Agnew resigned/was convicted).

If 45 gets to name a new VP, I'd bet on it being a family member, Ivanka, Jarred, maybe even try for Melania or Barron.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 19, 2017 12:42AM
Nah, it'll be Pence, he'll get out from any scandal by smiling a lot (more).
Posted by: Pam
Date: May 19, 2017 05:56AM
I don't think Pence will escape this. Ryan is rumored to be complicit in knowing about laundered money going into the GOP coffers. So that would leave Hatch who'd then appoint a VP subject to congressional approval.

Trump may drain the swamp after all.
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 19, 2017 07:19AM
Filliam H. Muffman
Ryan is second in line assuming the President and Vice President are unexpectedly unable to fulfill the requirements of office. ...

Why assume? they proved they are unable. Why are they still in office?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 19, 2017 07:22AM
....maybe the chicken........wings......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: May 19, 2017 08:43AM
Honestly, I think the best tact is to just keep nipping at Trumps heels..jump in his way, keep investigating and keep it going until the mid term elections. There is no point in taking him out of office because there is no end game. Pence would be a puppet and Ryan is a bad nightmare...Leave Trump in and slowly degrade and let his somewhat sensible supporters come back over the fence..cuz they will.
Date: May 19, 2017 08:54AM
Kraniac
Honestly, I think the best tact is to just keep nipping at Trumps heels..Leave Trump in and slowly degrade and let his somewhat sensible supporters come back over the fence..cuz they will.

Oh, I don't think so. If you have them still worshipping at the altar of trumpism now, as soon as the news turns slightly better, or just slows down in terms of bad news, they'll be back out with their maga baseball caps. I'd like to be wrong, mind you, but don't believe that I am.
Date: May 19, 2017 09:07AM
Disagree..Trump will eventually wear many of them down..I'm not worried about the real hard core slugs..those folks will never swing.

I'm worried about real, actual republicans getting fully in the game..The bad news will never stop..Trump is sick and needs his action - which is chaos..it keeps him in the center of attention.

I don't want Pence or Ryan anywhere near that seat. I'd rather sweat out a couple of years silliness and concentrate on the mid terms.
Date: May 19, 2017 09:20AM
I hear you in that, and have had much the same thoughts, but now I believe that the drumpf is so incapable of governing that it's detrimental to.the country's standing in the world.
Date: May 19, 2017 09:30AM
I agree totally but I think in the really dangerous situations that checks and balances will prevail. the courts have been heroic in this regard in some cases and i think the politicians are guarding themselves very carefully right now.

I've come to believe that a couple of years of suspended animation might be the best thing.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 19, 2017 09:31AM
Kraniac
I don't want Pence or Ryan anywhere near that seat. I'd rather sweat out a couple of years silliness and concentrate on the mid terms.

agree smiley

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Ammo
Date: May 19, 2017 09:53AM
Hers' what Andy Borowitz thinks:

[www.newyorker.com]

"When the tree falls, the monkeys scatter." Chinese proverb.

Always remember that your present situation is not your final destination.

"The opposite for courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow." Jim Hightower
Date: May 19, 2017 12:55PM
Ombligo
Kraniac

agree smiley

agree smiley

Posted by: btfc
Date: May 19, 2017 01:07PM
Ryan has lost a lot of political capital by getting in bed with Trump.
Date: May 19, 2017 01:43PM
btfc

And the Trumpsters think Ryan is a RINO.

Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 19, 2017 01:57PM
Ammo
Hers' what Andy Borowitz thinks:

[www.newyorker.com]

Andy Borowitz is so good.

Date: May 19, 2017 06:41PM
btfc

Exactly why I feel it's important to be patient..plod a bit, let more of this loss of political capital occur..it's happening to all these guys right now.

channel everything towards the mid terms...If the dems can't roll in the mid terms we all might as well jump on a boat to Russia..er..France.

yea, France.

I'm extremely leery of these calls for impeachment coming so fast and hard..was good to hear that there was a call for dems to shut up on this.
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 19, 2017 09:03PM
Pence is not clean of the Russian plague.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 20, 2017 10:37AM
Kraniac
I'm extremely leery of these calls for impeachment coming so fast and hard..was good to hear that there was a call for dems to shut up on this.

Me, too. I want the impeachment to be 100% grounded on legalities and evidence. The last thing we need is to have removal from office voted down and to have Trump able to finish his term feeling persecuted but vindicated. Moving too fast will let all the other fish wriggle out of the net. We need the public to become aware of the corruption and malice that's been behind all this, so they make good choices in 2018. What we DON'T need is for Trump to be able to double down on his Drain The Swamp crapola by claiming this was all a plot of the Washington establishment, that plays right into the narrative his followers believe.

Posted by: vision63
Date: May 21, 2017 10:28AM
$tevie
Kraniac

Me, too. I want the impeachment to be 100% grounded on legalities and evidence. The last thing we need is to have removal from office voted down and to have Trump able to finish his term feeling persecuted but vindicated. Moving too fast will let all the other fish wriggle out of the net. We need the public to become aware of the corruption and malice that's been behind all this, so they make good choices in 2018. What we DON'T need is for Trump to be able to double down on his Drain The Swamp crapola by claiming this was all a plot of the Washington establishment, that plays right into the narrative his followers believe.

There is no point in initiating Impeachment proceedings while we're just starting investigations. To paraphrase/torture John Dean, this is a cancer that needs to be removed is such a way that it doesn't have a chance to metastasize. Slow progress is still progress. I feel confident that we will come to proper terms with this abomination. Every one of his violations need to be a part of the final agenda.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 217
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015