advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: $156.25 ( +0.27 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"Julian Assange Rape Investigation Is Dropped in Sweden"
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 19, 2017 11:49AM

In Britain, he still faces a warrant for failing to appear in court, and the Metropolitan Police in London said on Friday that they would arrest Mr. Assange, who has maintained his innocence, if he were to try to leave the embassy.

Moreover, the Justice Department in Washington was reconsidering last month whether to charge Mr. Assange for his role in the disclosure of highly classified information. A Justice Department spokesman declined to comment on whether it planned to take any action regarding Mr. Assange, and the British government declined to say whether it had received an extradition request from the United States.
Ms. Ny said that proceeding with the case would require Mr. Assange to be served notice of the charges against him and for him to be present in a Swedish court, both of which were impossible.

As a result, prosecutors said they felt that they had no choice but to abandon the investigation because they had concluded that Ecuador would not cooperate, and because all other possibilities had been exhausted. “My assessment is that the transfer cannot be executed in the foreseeable future,” Ms. Ny said.

The investigation could be reopened, she said, if Mr. Assange returned to Sweden before August 2020, the time limit for prosecution specified by the statute of limitations.
[www.nytimes.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Julian Assange Rape Investigation Is Dropped in Sweden"
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 19, 2017 11:55AM
I still have a pox ordered on him.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 19, 2017 12:53PM
I feel rotten that the U.S. and its stealth extradition plans for Assange have ruined the chances for Anna Ardin to get justice in the case.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 19, 2017 01:59PM
Honestly the whole idea of a Swedish citizen worrying about being swept up and illegally extradited to the US for what is essentially an act of rogue journalism (at least in his country), and having to be essentially a refugee under house arrest in a foreign embassy in another country... that bothers the heck out of me.

Assange may be a real jerk as a human being, but...
Date: May 19, 2017 02:59PM
On the other hand, everybody decided the rape charges were totally made up, which bothers the heck out of me. Since there will never be a trial to prove me wrong, in my mind Assange is not a good person.

Posted by: max
Date: May 20, 2017 07:21AM
$tevie
... in my mind Assange is not a good person.

and it is still not a crime.
Anyway, the Swedes dropped the cheap pretext of any charges, simply because they are no longer needed.
Now the Brits can extradite him directly to US, instead of going through the Swedish detour ......

Ecuador’s rationale for granting asylum to Assange has often been overlooked. Ecuadorian officials, along with Assange’s supporters, have always insisted that they wanted the investigation in Sweden to proceed, and vowed that Assange would board the next plane to Stockholm if Sweden gave assurances that it would not extradite him to the U.S. to face charges relating to WikiLeaks’s publication of documents. It was Sweden’s refusal to issue such guarantees — and Ecuador’s fears that Assange would end up being persecuted by the U.S. — that has been the basis for its asylum protections.

Just weeks ago, Donald Trump’s CIA director, Mike Pompeo, delivered an angry, threatening speech about WikiLeaks in which he argued, “We have to recognize that we can no longer allow Assange and his colleagues the latitude to use free speech values against us.” The CIA director vowed to make good on this threat: “To give them the space to crush us with misappropriated secrets is a perversion of what our great Constitution stands for. It ends now.”

Days later, Attorney General Jeff Sessions strongly suggested that the Trump DOJ would seek to prosecute Assange and WikiLeaks on espionage charges in connection with the group’s publication of classified documents. Trump officials then began leaking to news outlets such as CNN that “U.S. authorities have prepared charges to seek the arrest of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.”

[theintercept.com]
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: May 20, 2017 07:31AM
$tevie
On the other hand, everybody decided the rape charges were totally made up, which bothers the heck out of me. Since there will never be a trial to prove me wrong, in my mind Assange is not a good person.

[bigthink.com]

even if he is a scumbag, it still looks politically motivated.

I remain sure UK authorities will do their absolute best to extradite him to the USA if he leaves or is forced out of the embassy.
Date: May 20, 2017 10:28AM
Since Assange has proven to be a stooge of the Russians as well as a self-centered narcissist, I find it incredibly easy to believe he would ignore requests to stop having sex once his partner discovered there was no condom. He's really been over-rated for his part in uncovering government surveillance -- he doesn't do any heaving lifting within Wikileaks, he's just the poster boy -- and he's kind of a chicken-@#$%& all around.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2017 10:29AM by $tevie.
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 20, 2017 12:19PM
$tevie
Since Assange has proven to be a stooge of the Russians as well as a self-centered narcissist, I find it incredibly easy to believe he would ignore requests to stop having sex once his partner discovered there was no condom. He's really been over-rated for his part in uncovering government surveillance -- he doesn't do any heaving lifting within Wikileaks, he's just the poster boy -- and he's kind of a chicken-@#$%& all around.

This is an ironclad statement.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 203
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015