advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: $151.89 ( -1.50 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Oh, my! Russian government targeted unnamed US voting machine firm and local election officials
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 05, 2017 09:19PM
And at least one American is going to jail for leaking this info to The Intercept:

Russian military intelligence attacked a U.S. voting software company and sent spear-phishing emails to more than 100 local election officials at the end of October or beginning of November.

Oh, my.

The document said Russian military intelligence “executed cyber espionage operations against a named U.S. company in August 2016 evidently to obtain information on elections-related software and hardware solutions, according to information that became available in April 2017."

The hackers are believed to have then used data from that operation to create a new email account to launch a spear-phishing campaign targeting U.S. local government organizations, the document said.

But I thought that this whole Russian election-related hacking was "fake news", and that the idea that the Russians would endeavor to be able to affect actual vote totals was ridiculous?

Reality Leigh Winner, 25, of Augusta, Ga., was charged in U.S. District Court with copying classified documents and mailing them to a reporter with an unnamed news organization.

Think Trump is going to demand this young woman's head for putting the lie to his denials?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2017 09:23PM by pdq.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Oh, my! Russian government targeted unnamed US voting machine firm and local election officials
Date: June 05, 2017 09:35PM
Business Insider (being Business Insider) connects a few dots (appropriately or not):

The document's findings seem more indicative of a Russian cyber attack on the US electoral system than previous findings were, said Claire Finkelstein, a professor and national security expert at University of Pennsylvania Law School.

Trump 'will be highly-scrutinized after this'

Experts say the next thing to look out for is Trump's reaction to the document.

"If he does not decry this interference or attempted interference with the machinery of democratic processes in the US, that in and of itself will be highly suspect."

Finkelstein said it was "highly suspicious" the document was dated four days before Comey was fired.

Hm. Is this really a big deal?

"This is indeed a big deal," said Bob Deitz, a veteran of the NSA and CIA who worked under former president Bill Clinton and George W. Bush.

Oh. OK then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2017 09:38PM by pdq.
Re: Oh, my! Russian government targeted unnamed US voting machine firm and local election officials
Posted by: hal
Date: June 05, 2017 11:28PM
My God... her name is Reality Winner

ps - Julien Assange is of course taking this moment to remind us that it's still really about him

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2017 11:29PM by hal.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 06, 2017 07:16AM

Edited after reading another story!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2017 07:17AM by rjmacs.
Date: June 06, 2017 08:46AM
A few more details- the "unnamed US company" seems to be VR Systems, which sells software for voting and maintaining voter registration databases in eight states (California, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, New York, North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia.)

The Intercept showed the NSA this report, which verified it's authenticity, and asked The Intercept not to print it. When The Intercept said they intended to, the NSA asked The Intercept to redact some parts, and they did.

Apparently, hackers from the "GRU" (Russian military) sent fake Google emails to employees at VR Systems, and got log in credentials from some employees who were fooled. They then used those to create and send emails purporting to be from VR Systems to ~120 local election officials that contained a MS Word doc secretly containing a MS Power Shell script which was activated when the doc was opened, creating a "backdoor". They think that once that backdoor was created, the hackers could have done a variety of things on the local election official's computers such as downloading additional malware, reading files, etc since the backdoor essentially allowed them to completely control these computers.

I stopped by Townhall.com this morning (eww!) to read their "yeah, but" take on this. They said "yeah, but the US government has already said that no vote totals were affected, and besides, Hillary is icky and ran a bad campaign". The government did say that back in January (minus the Hillary part); this more recent report states:

The NSA, however, is uncertain about the results of the attack, according to the report. “It is unknown,” the NSA notes, “whether the aforementioned spear-phishing deployment successfully compromised the intended victims, and what potential data could have been accessed by the cyber actor.”

The Intercept report, which says the Russian actions had "disconcerting uncertain results", also includes a telling quote from an expert at Harvard:

"The problem we have is that voting security doesn’t matter until something happens, and then after something happens, there’s a group of people who don’t want the security, because whatever happened, happened in their favor,”

FWIW, no I don't think vote totals were hacked. But it's now abundantly clear that despite denials by Putin and Trump, the Russians were actively trying to hack the election, and I don't know that we know the full extent or results of those efforts yet. And we likely never will, if the current administration has it's way, which includes going after folks that leak this information that didn't benefit the leaker in any way.
Date: June 06, 2017 08:58AM
BTW, I haven't seen any mention of this (leaker) gal's political affiliation or motivation, but she's a veteran from Georgia who has photos on her social media accounts of herself at a firing range with an assault rifle. Not exactly Clinton's core demographic, y'know, so I kinda doubt she's some hard-core Trump hater...
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: June 06, 2017 10:05AM
pdq
BTW, I haven't seen any mention of this (leaker) gal's political affiliation or motivation, but she's a veteran from Georgia who has photos on her social media accounts of herself at a firing range with an assault rifle. Not exactly Clinton's core demographic, y'know, so I kinda doubt she's some hard-core Trump hater...

Maybe she was a hard-core Trumpeter until she saw evidence that Russia was behind the hacking and got pissed off that Trump lied about it.
Posted by: numbered
Date: June 06, 2017 10:06AM
The frightening thing about this was not so much that they changed the totals. Last nite on the news some folks speculated that the GRU only needed to, say, remove every third registered voter from the list. The chaos ('no sir, you are not registered') would have been at 9/11 scale.
Date: June 06, 2017 10:22AM
numbered
The frightening thing about this was not so much that they changed the totals. Last nite on the news some folks speculated that the GRU only needed to, say, remove every third registered voter from the list. The chaos ('no sir, you are not registered') would have been at 9/11 scale.

Bingo.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 06, 2017 10:27AM
pdq

It's not good to stereotype.
[www.mediaite.com]
[www.theatlantic.com]
[twitter.com]

Posted by: Sam3
Date: June 06, 2017 10:29AM
pdq
numbered

Bingo.

Well, as long as the every third registered voter is a black or Hispanic, then no problem. /s
Date: June 06, 2017 01:54PM
$tevie
pdq

It's not good to stereotype.
[www.mediaite.com]
[www.theatlantic.com]
[twitter.com]

I stand corrected. Happily, actually, since I feel there may have been some principle behind her action and not just random/anarchist motivation.

BTW, RT says "Kremlin rejects secret NSA report accusing Russia of targeting voter registrars" (I didn't click the link for details)

...which raises the interesting question - does Reality Winner (what a name) get cut some slack if Russia (and their friends in the US) maintain the NSA report is really just "fake news"?
Date: June 06, 2017 03:58PM
Re: this earlier post:

Experts say the next thing to look out for is Trump's reaction to the document.

"If he does not decry this interference or attempted interference with the machinery of democratic processes in the US, that in and of itself will be highly suspect."

So, what happened today? Did Trump "decry"? or protest loudly? Did he tweet furious things at the Russians for trying to upend our "sacred" electoral process?

( - crickets - )

Yeah, not so much. But his sons decided they needed - today - to make their feelings known:

President Donald Trump’s adult sons echoed their father’s regular refrain in an interview that aired Tuesday morning, labeling the ongoing Russia investigations a “witch hunt” and “the greatest hoax of all time.

m'kay, guess that answered that question...
Date: June 07, 2017 10:18AM
BTW, last night, in regards to the investigation into Russian influence on the election, Eric Trump said

Democrats who support the probe into his father's campaign and Russia are "not even people"

Leave Donald Trump aloooooooone!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 262
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015