advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"Trump says '100 percent' willing to respond to Comey under oath"
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 09, 2017 03:01PM
Trump still under the impression he's in a face-off with one of his sexual molestation victims. I think he's in for a surprise.

Trump says '100 percent' willing to respond to Comey under oath
[www.reuters.com]
U.S. President Donald Trump denied on Friday that he had told then-FBI chief James Comey he hoped Comey could let go an investigation into a former national security adviser, adding he was willing to give his version of events under oath.

"I didn't say that," Trump told reporters when asked about Comey's account relating to the investigation into former national security adviser Michael Flynn. Comey, fired by Trump last month as FBI head, gave the account in sworn testimony to a Senate panel on Thursday. Asked if he would be willing to give his version of events under oath, Trump replied: "100 percent."
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Trump says '100 percent' willing to respond to Comey under oath"
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 09, 2017 03:07PM
emoticon-tv-015 That'll be the day.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 09, 2017 03:09PM
I think that's a grand idea. Trump can hardly finish a sentence without an unwise embellishment, mischaracterization, untruth, or outright lie.

And then we can go to the tape.

Seriously, the Senate (Dems, that is - the Repubs wouldn't touch this) should definitely try to take him up on his offer. His lawyer would probably never go for it, but Trump being Trump, he might go ahead and do it anyway.

Then we can have Republicans explain why lying under oath was an impeachable offense in 1998, but is A-OK now.
Date: June 09, 2017 03:11PM

Trump still has 100% support by the GOP.
Date: June 09, 2017 03:31PM
In fact, here's the (jumbled) exchange, which is near McCain-levels of incoherency:

KARL: He [Comey] did say under oath that you told him to let the Flynn — he said you told him you hoped the Flynn investigation, he could let it go—

TRUMP: I didn’t say that.

KARL: So he lied about that.

TRUMP: I didn’t say that. I mean, I will tell you that I didn’t say that.

KARL: And did he ask you to—

TRUMP: And there’d be nothing wrong if I did say it according to everybody that I’ve read today, but I did not say that.

However, Karl then mixed up his question about the loyalty oath a bit, accidentally asking Trump if Comey asked for a pledge of loyalty from him, rather than the other way around.

KARL: And did he ask for a pledge of loyalty from you, that’s another thing he said?

TRUMP: No he did not.

Then Karl asked the big question — whether Trump would be willing to give his version of events under oath. Trump seemed to say that he “100 percent” would, but then rambled a bit in a confusing way and apparently suggesting he interpreted “under oath” as referring to the alleged exchange between him and Comey about loyalty.

KARL: So he said those things under oath, would you be willing to speak under oath to give your version of those events?

TRUMP: 100 percent. I didn’t say “under oath,” I hardly know the man, I’m not gonna say “I want you to pledge allegiance,” who would do that, who would ask a man to pledge allegiance under oath? I mean think of it, I hardly know the man, it doesn’t make sense. No I didn’t say that and I didn’t say the other.

After this, Trump said he’d be happy to repeat what he just said to Special Counsel Robert Mueller:

KARL: So if Robert Mueller wanted to speak to you about that—

TRUMP: I would be glad to tell him exactly what I just told you, Jon.

Well, I'm glad he's happy, since he probably will get to do just that.

BTW, the exchange went on:

KARL: And you seem to be hinting that there are recordings of those conversations.

TRUMP: I’m not hinting anything, I’ll tell you about that over a very short period of time.

KARL: When will you tell us about the recordings?

TRUMP: Over a very short period of time.

KARL: Are there tapes, sir?

TRUMP: Oh, you’re gonna be very disappointed when you hear the answer, don’t worry.

As soon as all the tapes that contradict me are destroyed, I'll let you know.
Date: June 09, 2017 03:42PM
BTW, Trump's defense today seems to be "I didn't ask Comey to drop the Flynn case, but if I did, there was nothing wrong with that".

sneaky smiley
Posted by: beagledave
Date: June 09, 2017 03:54PM
pdq
BTW, Trump's defense today seems to be "I didn't ask Comey to drop the Flynn case, but if I did, there was nothing wrong with that".

sneaky smiley

And the Paul Ryan addendum would be that even if he DID do that, it's only because he's a political moron who skipped 8th grade civics class.
Posted by: steve...
Date: June 09, 2017 04:12PM
We'll soon see if Trump is also lying about his 'tapes'.

The House Intelligence Committee on Friday wrote to White House Counsel Don McGahn requesting he hand over copies of any tape recording between Donald Trump and former FBI Director James Comey “to the extent they exist now.” The committee set a deadline of June 23.

raw story

Northern California Coast
Date: June 09, 2017 06:27PM
James Comey is a ‘leaker’?
I thought the Russians said Trump liked that sort of stuff.
Posted by: Surfrider
Date: June 09, 2017 07:45PM
"I didn't say it...but even if I did, "people" say it's okay...I didn't say it...but even if I did, "people" say it's okay...I didn't say it...but even if I did, "people" say it's okay...I didn't say it...but even if I did, "people" say it's okay..."
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 09, 2017 10:10PM
I have a million dollars that says no recordings of ANYTHING exist. People are gonna have to start recording on their phones when around him, if not already. Seems like there should be plenty of other ways he'll incriminate himself without audio recordings.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 11, 2017 12:34AM
Of course, as it was only two people in a room, he'll lie his ass off (again).
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 12, 2017 04:34PM
My Lawyers Got Trump to Admit 30 Lies Under Oath
A decade ago, my lawyers questioned Trump under oath during a deposition in a libel case he filed against me for a biography I wrote, “TrumpNation.” (Trump lost the case in 2011.) Trump had to acknowledge 30 times during that deposition that he had lied over the years about a wide range of issues: his ownership stake in a large Manhattan real estate development; the cost of a membership to one of his golf clubs; the size of the Trump Organization; his wealth; the rate for his speaking appearances; how many condos he had sold; the debt he owed, and whether he borrowed money from his family to stave off personal bankruptcy.

Trump also lied during the deposition about his business relationships with organized crime figures.

[www.bloomberg.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 146
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020