Forums

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Laundromat to the Mob... Trump's Russian Money Laundering operations
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 13, 2017 11:09AM
[newrepublic.com]

"The influx of Russian money did more than save Trump’s business from ruin—it set the stage for the next phase of his career. By 2004, to the outside world, it appeared that Trump was back on top after his failures in Atlantic City. That January, flush with the appearance of success, Trump launched his newly burnished brand into another medium."

Quite the story.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Laundromat to the Mob... Trump's Russian Money Laundering operations
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 13, 2017 01:01PM
Yeah heard that writer interviewed on NPR this morning - will dig into the details later but it is quite interesting that a person with this background and ties to international criminals is now President.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 13, 2017 03:01PM
Thanks for that link. I had a nebulous idea that the Trump dot and the Russian kleptocracy mob dot might be connected somehow but that article gave me a much better idea of how those dots might connect. Hopefully Mueller's minions will be able to ferret out any illegal activity. But though they might not find any illegality, I hope we will still get to see how dependent Trump has been on the Russians for his own personal wealth. Because the President has such immense powers and given the Russian attempts (how successfully?) to meddle in our elections, we all ought to know how much of his financial well being is tied to Russia.

Many Republicans fervently denounced H. Clinton for her relationship with the family Clinton Foundation, pointing out many instances of possible conflicts of interest that Clinton had engaged in. They were quite principled in their expression of outrage. There really was no there there, though. Given Trump's murky proximity to the Russian kleptocracy mob, it seems like the principled thing to do is to insist Trump open up his books the same way that the Clinton Foundation's books were open for review - looking for potential conflicts of interest.
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 13, 2017 03:32PM
I would guess that may be why Trump can't release his taxes.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 13, 2017 03:33PM
Ted King
Many Republicans fervently denounced H. Clinton for her relationship with the family Clinton Foundation, pointing out many instances of possible conflicts of interest that Clinton had engaged in. They were quite principled in their expression of outrage. There really was no there there, though. Given Trump's murky proximity to the Russian kleptocracy mob, it seems like the principled thing to do is to insist Trump open up his books the same way that the Clinton Foundation's books were open for review - looking for potential conflicts of interest.

Have you moved to Fantasy Land?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 13, 2017 03:45PM
So somehow this surely relates to the fact that Natalia Veselnitskaya represented Dennis Katsyv in that money-laundering case.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 13, 2017 04:16PM
FWIW.... (Per my NYC family members) New Yorkers KNEW all about this stuff. It's been in the NY media for decades. It came up in the campaign but the Trumpians shouted it down.

At the best, Donnie has been a clueless patsy for the Bravda.... At worst, he's been an active associated. Either way, there is no way in hell he should have ever been considered, much less elected to the office. I mean, it's as if he was Michael freaking Corleone...
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 13, 2017 04:19PM
Speedy
Ted King

Have you moved to Fantasy Land?

Yes, I totally believe that people never express principled moral outrage about something that a politician "on the other side" does where they wouldn't also express equal principled moral outrage if a politician on "their side" did the same thing. burnout smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 234
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015