advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: $152.09 ( +1.82 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"The GOP’s moral rot is the problem, not Donald Trump Jr."
Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 16, 2017 11:55AM
Let’s dispense with the “Democrats are just as bad” defense. First, I don’t much care; we collectively face a party in charge of virtually the entire federal government and the vast majority of statehouses and governorships. It’s that party’s inner moral rot that must concern us for now. Second, it’s simply not true, and saying so reveals the origin of the problem — a “woe is me” sense of victimhood that grossly exaggerates the opposition’s ills and in turn justifies its own egregious political judgments and rhetoric. If the GOP had not become unhinged about the Clintons, would it have rationalized Trump as the lesser of two evils? Only in the crazed bubble of right-wing hysteria does an ethically challenged, moderate Democrat become a threat to Western civilization and Trump the salvation of America.
[www.washingtonpost.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "The GOP’s moral rot is the problem, not Donald Trump Jr."
Posted by: hal
Date: July 16, 2017 12:08PM
Great piece! We're seeing the party of 'NO!' trying to transition to the ruling party, but they are finding out that 'Obama/Clinton SUCKS!' isn't actually policy.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 16, 2017 12:54PM
Thanks for the link. Good stuff, like this:

Let me suggest the real problem is not the Trump family, but the GOP. To paraphrase Brooks, “It takes generations to hammer ethical considerations out of a [party’s] mind and to replace them entirely with the ruthless logic of winning and losing.” Again, to borrow from Brooks, beyond partisanship the GOP evidences “no attachment to any external moral truth or ethical code.”

That's pretty much along the lines of what I was talking about in an earlier post to another thread about doubling down by breaking more and more norms - and winning because of it.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 16, 2017 01:34PM
Ted King
That's pretty much along the lines of what I was talking about in an earlier post to another thread about doubling down by breaking more and more norms - and winning because of it.

That will always work... until it doesn't and everything comes crashing down.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 17, 2017 12:15AM
hal
Ted King

That will always work... until it doesn't and everything comes crashing down.

That is THE question, isn't it? Will it become so malignant that it kills itself before it kills the host? I hope you are right that it will collapse into a pile of desiccated detritus. I'm worried that what really keeps the thing going is a strong streak of nativism (that some people have for various reasons) felt by a large number of Republicans that is in a sick symbiosis with many wealthy people mostly just wanting to keep more of the money they have as income and wealth.

You would think that the religious social conservatives would be the sentinels of morality for the Republican Party, but they seem to be quite comfortable with the nativism of many of their congregants and have not had a problem with the money changers for a very, very long time. They pick their targets of moral outrage quite carefully. Like Muslims, gays, illegal immigrants, thugs (you know, those swarthy guys), abortion, etc. Where is the moral outrage that the US has a quite high infant mortality rate compared to other developed countries? Not a priority for moral outrage. You know, stuff happens - stay out of my pocket. Praise Jesus.

Will it unravel. Probably not. Will the American electorate rise up and collectively kick the Republican Party hard in the mouth? Maybe. That's probably what it will take to get the party base to realize it's not all about them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2017 12:25AM by Ted King.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 187
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015