advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Manafort's home searched by FBI in predawn raid
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 09, 2017 10:21AM
Oddly enough, this happened July 26. Mueller and the FBI seem to be running a pretty tight ship to keep it quiet this long. I'm sure a certain orange-skinned Oompa-loompa heard about it though, which may explain why his administration has recently "gone to war" against the Mueller probe (as characterized by the Moonie paper, as well as other sources).
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Manafort's home searched by FBI in predawn raid
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 09, 2017 10:51AM
Washington Post link has a paywall.
Try ABC news=> [abcnews.go.com]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 09, 2017 10:51AM
welll alrighty then... expect the FBI budget to suddenly get cut to zero ?
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 09, 2017 12:00PM
cbelt3
welll alrighty then... expect the FBI budget to suddenly get cut to zero ?

I wonder if anything can be read into the timing of the raid, just a few days BEFORE the new FBI director was confirmed.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 09, 2017 01:35PM
Can't he just zero out that agency, like cbelt suggests? I was actually expecting this for certain agencies, the fbi was not one of them, however.
Posted by: hal
Date: August 09, 2017 01:42PM
Interesting that Trump went on a twitter rampage on the 26th & 27th. I assume that he felt that the Manafort search would be on the evening news those days. The 26th is when he suddenly said that transgender folks were no longer invited to be in the military.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 09, 2017 01:54PM
....the reason stated for the raid was because they did not feel like he would be forthcoming with all documents.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: August 09, 2017 02:03PM
mrbigstuff
Can't he just zero out that agency, like cbelt suggests? I was actually expecting this for certain agencies, the fbi was not one of them, however.

The executive branch doesn't have the authority to refuse to execute the Law, including those laws that mandate civil servants to carry out the Law.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2017 02:03PM by rjmacs.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 09, 2017 03:07PM
rjmacs
mrbigstuff

The executive branch doesn't have the authority to refuse to execute the Law, including those laws that mandate civil servants to carry out the Law.

But that does not mean that he would not attempt to zero it out. I was being facetious, of course, with regard to fbi, but he could try with HUD, for example. Bush II floated that idea. Would not get anywhere, naturally, because there are lots of folks of all political shades who benefit.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: August 09, 2017 03:28PM
mrbigstuff
rjmacs
mrbigstuff

But that does not mean that he would not attempt to zero it out. I was being facetious, of course, with regard to fbi, but he could try with HUD, for example. Bush II floated that idea. Would not get anywhere, naturally, because there are lots of folks of all political shades who benefit.

Not only are there "lots of folks of all political shades who benefit," but when the law says you must spend the appropriated funds to do X, you better fcuking do X, because it's the goddamn law. Failure to do so is literally against the law.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 09, 2017 04:02PM
rjmacs
Not only are there "lots of folks of all political shades who benefit," but when the law says you must spend the appropriated funds to do X, you better fcuking do X, because it's the goddamn law. Failure to do so is literally against the law.

FWIW, this is basically what Trump is doing with Obamacare's "risk corridor payments", which are written in law (although disputed in the courts). Also, he has instructed the IRS not to bother about whether folks have health insurance (also part of the law), and is using funds earmarked to promote the ACA and its marketplaces to publicly undermine the same.

I think this is a step beyond Obama not prioritizing deportation of illegal immigrants that are law-abiding and/or came here as kids. That was a slow-walking of enforcement, while Trump is taking more active steps to openly defy existing law.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 09, 2017 04:09PM
pdq
rjmacs

FWIW, this is basically what Trump is doing with Obamacare's "risk corridor payments", which are written in law (although disputed in the courts). Also, he has instructed the IRS not to bother about whether folks have health insurance (also part of the law), and is using funds earmarked to promote the ACA and its marketplaces to publicly undermine the same.

I think this is a step beyond Obama not prioritizing deportation of illegal immigrants that are law-abiding and/or came here as kids. That was a slow-walking of enforcement, while Trump is taking more active steps to openly defy existing law.

That's what the courts are for.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 275
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018