advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: $160.07 ( +0.29 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Pesky constitutional rights
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 09, 2017 02:10PM
Maine Gov. Paul LePage (R) threatened on Tuesday to raise the voting age in his state to 21 after lawmakers overrode his veto on legislation that increased the age limit to buy tobacco products. The 26th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, ratified in 1971, says all citizens 18 and older can vote, an obstacle that didn’t seem to deter LePage.

“In January I’m putting up two bills. If 18-year-olds are too young and can’t make the right decision to buy cigarettes, then I don’t think they should be able to vote.

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Pesky constitutional rights
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 09, 2017 02:25PM
Despite the hysteria, you've got to admit he has a point. If 18 year olds can vote and join the military, why can't they...
Smoke (even Mary Jane where legal)
Drink Booze
etc...

And yeah, of course his rant was hyperbole.
Posted by: Paul
Date: August 09, 2017 02:25PM
If only propertied men at least 26 were allowed to vote this nation's problems would be solved.
Posted by: hal
Date: August 09, 2017 02:26PM
Ombligo
If 18-year-olds are too young and can’t make the right decision to buy cigarettes, then I don’t think they should be able to vote

I agree. The law he's proposing isn't legal, but I agree that a person should reach the 'age of reason' before being allowed to vote, go to war or buy harmful, legal products AND that age should be uniform. I would REALLY, REALLY like to add 'drive a motor vehicle' and 'handle a loaded weapon without supervision' to that group, but past momentum makes that almost impossible.
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 09, 2017 02:28PM
What a very odd thing to draw a line in the sand over.

But then, LePage is a very odd duck.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: August 09, 2017 02:34PM
Paul
If only propertied men at least 26 were allowed to vote this nation's problems would be solved.

Don't forget to revise the definition of "men" to exclude all who are not White Anglo-Saxon Protestants!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Paul
Date: August 09, 2017 02:39PM
rjmacs
Paul

Don't forget to revise the definition of "men" to exclude all who are not White Anglo-Saxon Protestants!

So long as a man is right with The Lord Jesus Christ and has an obedient wife he fits the bill.

-Pastor Paul
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 09, 2017 04:06PM
Paul
rjmacs
Paul

So long as a man is right with The Lord Jesus Christ and has an obedient wife he fits the bill.

-Pastor Paul

I really want to be able to keep my right to vote. I'm right with the Lord but my wife refuses to be obedient. I've tried regular beatings and our church has stoned hre on more than one occasion (we only use pea rock because it seems our ungodly local authorities frown on using anything that will do serious and permanent damage), all to no avail. Do you have any other suggestions of what I might try? BTW, she is the only one of my wives to be insolent.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 09, 2017 04:48PM
LePage makes Trump look like John Adams.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 260
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015