Forums

AAPL stock: $157.50 ( -0.36 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Baby Kim's threat: Bracket Guam with 4 test missiles
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 10, 2017 06:46AM

Tiny Hands. Tiny Brains. Big Bombs.
This matchup between Krazy Kim and Demented Donald would make a great wrestling headliner...if only it didn't involve nuclear weapons (and me).

Pyongyang says it will launch four missiles into waters ‘30-40km’ off US territory in Pacific Ocean
[www.reuters.com]

As announced by North Korea, the planned path of the missiles would cross some of the world's busiest sea and air traffic routes.

The North Korean army would complete its plans in mid-August, ready for leader Kim Jong Un's order, state-run KCNA news agency reported, citing General Kim Rak Gyom, commander of the Strategic Force of the Korean People's Army.

"The Hwasong-12 rockets to be launched by the KPA (Korean People's Army) will cross the sky above Shimane, Hiroshima and Koichi Prefectures of Japan," the report said. "They will fly 3,356.7 km (2,085.8 miles) for 1,065 seconds and hit the waters 30 to 40 km away from Guam."

While North Korea regularly threatens to destroy the United States and its allies, the report was unusual in its detail. It follows two successful tests of an intercontinental missile by the isolated state in July and a series of other missile tests.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Baby Kim's threat: Bracket Guam with 4 test missiles
Posted by: Ted King
Date: August 10, 2017 06:58AM
That's four opportunities for the US anti-missile defense forces on Guam to tune their tracking systems and do dry run firings of anti-missile missiles to intercept the North Korean ICBMs.
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 10, 2017 09:06AM
Ted King
That's four opportunities for the US anti-missile defense forces on Guam to tune their tracking systems and do dry run firings of anti-missile missiles to intercept the North Korean ICBMs.

Great point, if we really had interceptors capable of reliably intercepting. I doubt that we do, and demonstrating this system's inability would not be a positive thing.

That's why they wouldn't do it. I'd be happy to be wrong, since your point is excellent.
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 10, 2017 09:14AM
BTW, Trump was hard at work with the NK crisis yesterday:

Twenty-four-hour-a-day situation room, I hear. Not like that horrible slacker Obama.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: August 10, 2017 09:18AM
pdq
Ted King

Great point, if we really had interceptors capable of reliably intercepting. I doubt that we do, and demonstrating this system's inability would not be a positive thing.

That's why they wouldn't do it. I'd be happy to be wrong, since your point is excellent.

I said they would use it as practice to tune the tracking systems and do "dry run firings", not actually try to shoot the missiles down.

The THAAD anti-missile system probably isn't reliable enough to say there is a low chance of an ICBM getting through, but it is probably good enough that North Korea couldn't have a lot of confidence that one of the ICBM's would successfully explode over Guam either. If it weren't at least a reasonably good deterrence then the Chinese wouldn't be raising a fuss about them being placed in South Korea.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 10, 2017 01:52PM
FWIW.... THAAD is good enough for a Rogue State attack. Not an ICBM wave from the Soviet Union, China, or Israel. Also remember that the Aegis cruisers with the SM-3 can possibly also do the intercepts... on a one to one basis recent tests showed a success. The best defense against ICBM launch is STILL diplomacy.

"To jaw-jaw is always better than to war-war."
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 10, 2017 02:54PM
Steve G.
While North Korea regularly threatens to destroy the United States and its allies, the report was unusual in its detail. It follows two successful tests of an intercontinental missile by the isolated state in July and a series of other missile tests.

I imagine NK does not want there to be any possible doubt as to the target so that the USA doesn't launch a retaliatory attack based on a test launch.

I'm very impressed with NK's capabilities!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 269
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015