advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: $157.50 ( -0.36 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
News flash
Posted by: samintx
Date: August 11, 2017 09:09PM
Perry going to Homeland Security, Joe Manchon to Energy.
I didnt spell his name correctly
Just reported on Rachel Maddows show that this may take place Monday
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: News flash
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 11, 2017 11:45PM
you watch Rachel Maddow???

Posted by: GGD
Date: August 12, 2017 12:17AM
Any chance that this musical chairs is actually about ObamaCare?

Joe Manchin is the democratic senator from West Virginia.

The governor of WV just switched sides to Republican, and he gets to appoint the replacement senator.

45 needs one more republican vote in the senate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2017 12:17AM by GGD.
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 12, 2017 12:24AM
mattkime
you watch Rachel Maddow???

Yes.
Posted by: hal
Date: August 12, 2017 01:19AM
Why on earth would Manchin take the job?
Posted by: Janit
Date: August 12, 2017 07:14AM
hal

agree smiley

Any fool can see that taking a job in this administration would be suicidal.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: August 12, 2017 07:24AM
hal

Manchin is up for reelection in W. Virginia in 2018. Given the political climate there, he probably wouldn't win. So I suspect if he does take the job in the Trump administration, it will be to give himself future political opportunities that he may not have otherwise. If he takes the job with Trump, it will be because he puts his political future over what is best for the Democratic Party. It would suck, but he'd hardly be the first to do something like that.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 12, 2017 09:10AM
Ted King
hal

Manchin is up for reelection in W. Virginia in 2018. Given the political climate there, he probably wouldn't win. So I suspect if he does take the job in the Trump administration, it will be to give himself future political opportunities that he may not have otherwise. If he takes the job with Trump, it will be because he puts his political future over what is best for the Democratic Party. It would suck, but he'd hardly be the first to do something like that.

He would last longer in the senate, even if he does lose reelection in 2018.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: August 12, 2017 09:55AM
Ombligo
Ted King
hal

? If he runs and loses reelection, he would be out of a job in the federal government in a year and a half. If he becomes Energy secretary, he could easily be there until 2020 (an additional two years)- even if Trump is impeached or resigns.

An added wrinkle to his calculations about what to do is that there is grumbling amongst Democrats in W. Virginia that a more liberal person should run in the primary against Manchin. Passing up a gig as Energy secretary with a fair chance of having that job till 2020 only to lose in the Democratic primary probably doesn't sound appealing to him.

I'm not predicting he will go for the Energy job in the Trump administration, though. Manchin is probably still very well liked in W. Virginia and in that community he may just be the right guy to find a way to get reelected as a Democrat. He's pretty sharp and I suspect he has a good sense of what his prospects are to win reelection and given that most of us tend to prioritize what is in our own personal self interest most of the time, if he senses he won't win the primary and then the election, then I wouldn't be surprised that he would choose the Energy job now. If he didn't want to stay in politics after he left the Energy job, he would, no doubt, have lots of lucrative opportunities in private enterprise because of having had the Energy job.

I imagine that if he takes the Energy secretary position that he will say that he will be able to do more with that position than as a Senator to help the people of West Virginia. Actually, that would probably be true, but I don't think that would be his primary reason for taking the job.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2017 10:09AM by Ted King.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 12, 2017 10:10AM
But can Sen. Manchin dance?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2017 10:10AM by Speedy.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 12, 2017 10:27AM
Ted King
Ombligo
Ted King
hal

? If he runs and loses reelection, he would be out of a job in the federal government in a year and a half. If he becomes Energy secretary, he could easily be there until 2020 (an additional two years)- even if Trump is impeached or resigns.

An added wrinkle to his calculations about what to do is that there is grumbling amongst Democrats in W. Virginia that a more liberal person should run in the primary against Manchin. Passing up a gig as Energy secretary with a fair chance of having that job till 2020 only to lose in the Democratic primary probably doesn't sound appealing to him.

snip

That is assuming Trump keeps him for longer than it takes to replace his seat in the Senate with a Republican. I'm under no illusion that Trump will dump him at the first opportunity. This isn't about an energy secretary, it is about control in the Senate.

(and I am also under no illusion that Trump thought this up by himself)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 12, 2017 10:28AM
OK Manchin aside - Rick Perry at DHS? Great. We now have a person who wasn't smart enough to do well in an easy bachelor's program in charge of our national security, while having a lunatic in the White House. That's reassuring.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 12, 2017 10:39AM
I think Manchin knows better than to take that position. Just the fact that Perry is being moved around like a chess piece should make it clear that being chosen for the job is in no way an "opportunity".

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 12, 2017 10:45AM
The only reason I could think that Manchin would take Energy would be to help out his coal industry buddies (and his own family, whose riches are derived from coal)
Date: August 12, 2017 10:58AM
Ombligo
Ted King
Ombligo
Ted King
hal

snip

That is assuming Trump keeps him for longer than it takes to replace his seat in the Senate with a Republican. I'm under no illusion that Trump will dump him at the first opportunity. This isn't about an energy secretary, it is about control in the Senate.

(and I am also under no illusion that Trump thought this up by himself)

I agree this is ultimately about getting that extra vote in the Senate. For sure. And I agree that taking any job in a Trump administration is much riskier than it would be for most presidents. But, Trump gets rid of people if they somehow reflect badly on him, cause him more trouble than he thinks they are worth or he needs to scapegoat them over something. As Energy secretary I think it is unlikely that Manchin would would be involved in any of those. That's my guess anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2017 11:00AM by Ted King.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 12, 2017 11:41AM
Sure. Take a job that might or might not further your political career. Never mind the thousands of people that might die.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 12, 2017 12:07PM
right now it's a rumor.
Posted by: gabester
Date: August 12, 2017 12:52PM
Steve G.
right now it's a rumor.

It feels a lot more like a tumor.
Posted by: samintx
Date: August 12, 2017 01:25PM
Lemon Drop
OK Manchin aside - Rick Perry at DHS? Great. We now have a person who wasn't smart enough to do well in an easy bachelor's program in charge of our national security, while having a lunatic in the White House. That's reassuring.

Out of the frying pan into the fire.
National safety or atomic bombssmiley-shocked003
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 12, 2017 01:36PM
Steve G.
right now it's a rumor.

Trump said he has a big press conference announcement Monday. I'm betting this is it.
Posted by: Acer
Date: August 12, 2017 02:48PM
If Manchon does this, he will have sold us all up the river. Thanks again, coal country.
Date: August 12, 2017 03:43PM
Under the circumstances, Manchin has behaved just fine. As far as Ted's mention that some would desire to run a more liberal candidate there, Russ Finegold, a more liberal candidate lost worse than Hillary did in Wisconsin. All of this posturing, poseur-ing and purism has to stop.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 12, 2017 04:39PM
vision63
Russ Finegold, a more liberal candidate lost worse than Hillary did in Wisconsin.

Means nothing this past cycle; Russ is Jewish.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: August 12, 2017 04:43PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2017 05:34PM by Ted King.
Date: August 12, 2017 08:39PM
Speedy
vision63
Russ Finegold, a more liberal candidate lost worse than Hillary did in Wisconsin.

Means nothing this past cycle; Russ is Jewish.[/quote

Hillary is a woman. That should have averaged it out doncha think?]
Date: August 12, 2017 08:40PM
Ted King

I'm not saying you are. Never.
Date: August 13, 2017 08:44AM
vision63
Ted King

I'm not saying you are. Never.

I wrote a post where I agreed with you about the dangers of liberal groups insisting on their version of liberalism (purism). But then, as I so often do, I rambled on - on about the need for liberal groups to start from a place of acknowledging what they agree about rather than jump to yelling at each other about their disagreements (IOW, I lapsed into a bout of simplistic idealism). But then I realized that it's all so way more complicated than can be meaningfully addressed with a kumbaya bromide, so I just deleted the whole thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2017 08:45AM by Ted King.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 275
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015