Forums

AAPL stock: $157.86 ( -3.09 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Charlottesville: Violent clashes over US far-right rally
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 12, 2017 02:24PM
[www.bbc.com]

Violent clashes have erupted between white nationalists attending a far-right march and counter-protesters in the US state of Virginia.

Several people were injured after a car rammed into a crowd of people who were against the rally in Charlottesville.

A state of emergency has been declared to enable police to mobilise resources.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Charlottesville: Violent clashes over US far-right rally
Posted by: bfd
Date: August 12, 2017 02:40PM
Deplorable.

She was right. (just not far enough right)
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 12, 2017 02:46PM
At least one person is dead after the car rammed into the crowd. We are moving backwards, this is not how you make American great. sad smiley

Date: August 12, 2017 03:06PM
1 person killed, 19 injured in today's hatefest.
Posted by: samintx
Date: August 12, 2017 03:20PM
45 is being sent out to speak about it when his Tweet didnt cut the mustard. The adults are sending out the child to say something.
Date: August 12, 2017 03:52PM
And we heard nothing but his poor reading and reading comprehension skills on display. Then he went off-script and started crowing about unemployment.

SMFH what a complete idiot. He's simply unqualified for this level of leadership. And it shows.
Date: August 12, 2017 04:30PM
samintx
45 is being sent out to speak about it when his Tweet didnt cut the mustard. The adults are sending out the child to say something.
Exactly right.

bfd
And we heard nothing but his poor reading and reading comprehension skills on display. Then he went off-script and started crowing about unemployment.
I couldn't listen to him and I bailed. I am not surprised by this, however.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 12, 2017 04:47PM
The car crashing into the counter-protesters was not intentional.

>>>

"Virginia State Police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said the severity of injuries ranged from minor to life-threatening. The silver vehicle that rammed into crowd has been located, Geller said.

Reports from Charlottesville indicated the driver has been arrested.

Police are not, at this point, characterizing the crash as intentional, Geller said."

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: August 12, 2017 06:53PM
Speedy

>>>

"Virginia State Police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said the severity of injuries ranged from minor to life-threatening. The silver vehicle that rammed into crowd has been located, Geller said.

Police are not, at this point, characterizing the crash as intentional, Geller said."

It may have been a spontaneous decision. It was not an accident.

I'm guessing that you didn't see the video (I don't blame you. It's nasty.) or read the reports.

By all accounts -- and the video catches much of this -- the driver guided his car up a narrow street for about a quarter mile at high speed, hitting only pedestrians until he lost control and hit the back of a car. Then he backed up -- at speed -- running over more pedestrians, then went up the street again, hitting at least one more person. He turned down a side street only when he saw the police... who were allegedly just standing there watching and doing nothing to stop it. (Not clear yet how he was arrested.)

If you're into graphic pics:
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 12, 2017 06:55PM
....his idiocy knows no bounds.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: August 12, 2017 08:10PM
Speedy

>>>

They may have been being circumspect during early reports, but the man has been arrested and charged with murder so they obviously disagree with you.

Date: August 12, 2017 08:34PM
$tevie
Speedy

>>>

They may have been being circumspect during early reports, but the man has been arrested and charged with murder so they obviously disagree with you.

I was just copying and pasting and my comment was sarcasm. I saw the video before posting, just thought it was interesting that, at that time, the police were not characterizing it as intentional no matter how obviously it was.

Date: August 12, 2017 08:44PM
"The day was met with more tragedy, when a Virginia State Police helicopter, believed to be carrying two people, crashed inside city limits and thick black smoke was seen rising from behind the trees, according to local reports.
According to WSET, there were two people on board the helicopter when it crashed, however it is not known if there are any injuries or fatalities."

Both killed.

Date: August 12, 2017 08:45PM
If a vehicle was used like this in, say, London, Pres. Trump would have called it a terrorist act. Instead, because it was an alt.right terrorist, Pres. Trump: "We condemn in the strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry and violence on many sides — on many sides,” he said." Yep, not terrorism and they brought it on themselves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2017 08:54PM by Speedy.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: August 12, 2017 09:08PM
Speedy
If a vehicle was used like this in, say, London, Pres. Trump would have called it a terrorist act. Instead, because it was an alt.right terrorist, Pres. Trump: "We condemn in the strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry and violence on many sides — on many sides,” he said." Yep, not terrorism and they brought it on themselves.

He doesn't want to piss off Bannon by calling out Bannon's Nazi buddies.

Date: August 12, 2017 09:18PM
President Trump is weak on terrorism. He does not condemn the ideology of hate. He cannot even say "White Supremacy Terrorism." #Sad
[twitter.com]
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 12, 2017 09:19PM
The driver under arrest is a 20 year old white supremacist and Republican Trump supporter from Ohio, also an Army vet.

I just want to mention that Charlottesville went 80% for Hillary. This is so not them. I'm so sorry this is happening in their community, nobody deserves to have these hateful people drive in from around the country and attack them like this.

And then our bigoted, cowardly president doesn't have the morals to call it what it is: domestic terrorism.
Date: August 12, 2017 10:27PM
I hope this puts to rest the nonsense about "economic anxiety" being why these yahoos voted for 45.

Date: August 13, 2017 12:05AM
White supremacy is "what" will make America Great Again for these people … For them, America can only be great again when they go back to the time when whites ruled unequivocally and the the rest knew their place. Sadly, they have plenty of tacit support from other so-called disaffected whites throughout the country…
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 13, 2017 09:05AM
.....and by someone at the very top who refuses to speak against them.....that says a lot about how he thinks.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: August 13, 2017 01:28PM
NewtonMP2100
.....and by someone at the very top who refuses to speak against them.....that says a lot about how he thinks.....
Someone who says in his statement that we must "cherish our history". I wonder which white-supremacist on his staff slipped that one in.

Posted by: pdq
Date: August 14, 2017 01:51PM
$tevie
NewtonMP2100
Someone who says in his statement that we must "cherish our history". I wonder which white-supremacist on his staff slipped that one in.

Well, I dunno, but I bet his name starts with a "B" (and ends with an "annon").
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 251
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015