advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: $151.89 ( -1.50 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
45 tells GOP leadership to stick it, backs Dem plan on debt limit, disaster relief
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 06, 2017 04:27PM
Not that every article about Trump isn't weird, but this one was just, I don't know, really odd.
Trump rebuffed McConnell and Ryan and sided with Schumer and Pelosi on a 3 month debit limit increase (GOPers wanted 18 mos)
Also, Ivanka came into the room during the meeting and disrupted things, which apparently "annoyed" the GOPers.

[www.cnn.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 45 tells GOP leadership to stick it, backs Dem plan on debt limit, disaster relief
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 06, 2017 04:44PM
Yeah, Jennifer Rubin at the WaPo had a piece about this titled "Does Trump just hate the Republicans?"

Naw, Jenny, it's not just you. He doesn't really care about much of anyone - he's just stumbling around in the dark, and sometimes it's your toes that get stepped on.
Re: 45 tells GOP leadership to stick it, backs Dem plan on debt limit, disaster relief
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 06, 2017 04:46PM
Maverick! Another reason to love the guy!
Posted by: samintx
Date: September 06, 2017 04:46PM
They could have early put their foot down on having family around. They have let the spoilded brat do whatever he wanted. Go suck eggs.
Posted by: samintx
Date: September 06, 2017 05:02PM
I dont understand why the Repub cave just because 45 went with the Dems? Why Are they going to vote with the Dems? Would 45 veto a longer extention? Would this get him goodwill for the WALL or other bills?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2017 05:05PM by samintx.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 06, 2017 05:39PM
Regarding the immigration program, Mr. Trump said, “Chuck and Nancy would like to see something happen, and so do I.”

Oh so now it's "Chuck and Nancy." Well good for him.

Harvey may well force Congress to get their acts together and stop being the most hated institution in America. Maybe when Ryan and McConnell and the "Freedom Caucus" see that the sky doesn't fall because they approved a big aid bill not attached to a bunch of crazy draconian budget cuts, they'll bring some common sense to all the challenges that lie ahead.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: September 06, 2017 07:42PM
samintx
They could have early put their foot down on having family around. They have let the spoilded brat do whatever he wanted. Go suck eggs.

Trump keeps her and the granddaughter ready to walk in on-queue whenever he thinks he's going to be vulnerable during a negotiation.

Posted by: Onamuji
Date: September 06, 2017 07:50PM
samintx
I dont understand why the Repub cave just because 45 went with the Dems? Why Are they going to vote with the Dems? Would 45 veto a longer extention? Would this get him goodwill for the WALL or other bills?

It gets him the good will that he cares about.

Trump needs the aid bill to make Texans love him.

He will do anything towards that end.

Republican leaders don't have enough votes on their own to pass the aid bill or the debt ceiling bill that they want.

...Hey! I just realized... Trump actually made a successful "deal" in office. The idiot who couldn't sell water in a desert just negotiated a deal!

Posted by: Pam
Date: September 06, 2017 10:22PM
I think Trump did this because he's pissed at McConnell and Ryan. Don't show me loyalty and I will stab you in the back.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 06, 2017 11:17PM
Made a deal? More bullied and bluffed his way through another "negotiation".
Posted by: Ammo
Date: September 07, 2017 10:30AM
Pam
I think Trump did this because he's pissed at McConnell and Ryan. Don't show me loyalty and I will stab you in the back.

This, plus his usual MO of keeping everybody off balance by being unpredictable. Since he has no loyalty to any person or ideal, and no long-term strategy for anything, this way of operating serves him well.

"When the tree falls, the monkeys scatter." Chinese proverb.

Always remember that your present situation is not your final destination.

"The opposite for courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow." Jim Hightower

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2017 10:31AM by Ammo.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 07, 2017 10:39AM
Ammo
Pam

This, plus his usual MO of keeping everybody off balance by being unpredictable. Since he has no loyalty to any person or ideal, and no long-term strategy for anything, this way of operating serves him well.

I doubt if this is his MO. He simply doesn't have a clue what he is going to be doing more than for the next hour or so.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: September 07, 2017 11:00AM
This is the political equivalent of when he handed those buckets to the pickup driver - he's over his head and trying to appear competent.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 07, 2017 12:33PM
If he keeps it up, he will pass bills I agree with. Go figure.
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 07, 2017 12:36PM
He just want wins.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: September 07, 2017 02:16PM
Pam
Bingo!

Posted by: Pam
Date: September 07, 2017 04:28PM
Speedy
Ammo
Pam

I doubt if this is his MO. He simply doesn't have a clue what he is going to be doing more than for the next hour or so.

Being unpredictable is his MO for covering up his ineptitude.
Posted by: bfd
Date: September 07, 2017 05:47PM
Well, unfortunately ths just makes someone (who needs to go) like Senator Dianne Feinstein look like a genius…

[thehill.com]
Posted by: Ted King
Date: September 07, 2017 06:33PM
bfd
Well, unfortunately ths just makes someone (who needs to go) like Senator Dianne Feinstein look like a genius…

[thehill.com]

That might depend on whether or not you take her statements at face value or not. On face value she said:

"The question is whether he can learn and change," Feinstein said, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. "If so, I believe he can be a good president."

She also said that Trump will have to "forget himself enough and have the type of empathy and direction the country needs."

Feinstein added that there "there are things that can be done" if he does not move in that direction.

That's a deeply problematic thesis in many respects in my opinion but even if I grant most of the assumptions in her comments, I can't get past the notion that it requires Trump forgetting himself enough and getting empathy enough and having enough vision of direction that the country needs. If the idea is that Trump went along with the Democrats because all of those things became true, then I'd say thumbs down on the genius award for this one because I don't think Trump has magically acquired any of those things.

If, on the other hand, we don't take any of that at face value but instead as a cynical ploy to cajole Trump then I might give a thumbs up for a genius cynical ploy move if there was sufficient reason to think that her comments had much of anything to do with this.

I suppose it's possible that she didn't intend either of those things but rather was throwing metaphorical kumbaya flower petals out into the universe to better the local cosmic karma. If so, then a definite thumbs up for that even if it had nothing to do with Trump shafting McConnell and Ryan going along with the Democrats on this.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 247
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015