advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Trump's SEC will never go after them...
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: September 07, 2017 08:18PM
...Because to Trump and his ilk, this isn't insider trading. It's just business as usual and Jay Clayton -- his appointment to run the SEC -- doesn't believe in regulating businesses and doesn't want insider trading regs no matter the harm to consumers.

We can probably fix the biggest and most public blunders of the Trump administration within a decade or two.

But Trump's appointees are the real plague that will send this country into the muck for the better part of the next century.

[www.bloomberg.com]

BTW: You can check here to see whether your social security number and detailed credit history was stolen from Equifax:
[www.equifaxsecurity2017.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Trump's SEC will never go after them...
Posted by: Ted King
Date: September 07, 2017 09:31PM
Thanks for the Equifax link. Luckily it seems that my data wasn't compromised.
Posted by: hal
Date: September 07, 2017 09:36PM
Are you SURE that's an equifax link?
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 07, 2017 09:40PM
Ted King

What message did you get that led you to that conclusion?

The directions say that you will get a message saying one way or another if you were compromised, but when I did it, it just said that I was enrolled.

This is all I got.

Thank You

Your enrollment date for TrustedID Premier is: 09/13/2017

Please be sure to mark your calendar as you will not receive additional reminders. On or after your enrollment date, please return to faq.trustedidpremier.com and click the link to continue through the enrollment process.

For more information visit the FAQ page.
Date: September 07, 2017 10:31PM
GGD
Ted King

What message did you get that led you to that conclusion?

The directions say that you will get a message saying one way or another if you were compromised, but when I did it, it just said that I was enrolled.

This is all I got.

Thank You

Your enrollment date for TrustedID Premier is: 09/13/2017

Please be sure to mark your calendar as you will not receive additional reminders. On or after your enrollment date, please return to faq.trustedidpremier.com and click the link to continue through the enrollment process.

This is what I get:

Thank You

Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information was not impacted by this incident.

Click the button below to continue your enrollment in TrustedID Premier

I didn't click on the "enroll" button.
Date: September 07, 2017 10:35PM
hal
Are you SURE that's an equifax link?

I'm pretty sure Onamuji is careful about his information - I would think especially this information. But I must admit that I poked around various buttons to several different random pages on the site and it all seemed legit. If it is fake, someone went to a LOT of trouble to make a complete phony site. Not that that couldn't happen, but between figuring Onamuji is careful about such things and poking around a bit, it seemed like a reasonable risk to take.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 07, 2017 11:26PM
It's the address of the site given out on our local newscast.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: September 07, 2017 11:32PM
Speedy
It's the address of the site given out on our local newscast.

Now FireFox is blocking that link:

Your connection is not secure

The owner of www.equifaxsecurity2017.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 07, 2017 11:35PM
The site is linked here:

[www.bloomberg.com]

"Criminals took advantage of a "U.S. website application vulnerability to gain access to certain files" from mid-May through July of this year, Equifax said. The intruders also accessed dispute documents with personal identifying information for about 182,000 consumers."

I wonder which website was hacked? It apparently wasn't a hack directly against Equifax.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2017 11:37PM by Speedy.
Date: September 07, 2017 11:46PM
Speedy
The site is linked here:

[www.bloomberg.com]

"Criminals took advantage of a "U.S. website application vulnerability to gain access to certain files" from mid-May through July of this year, Equifax said. The intruders also accessed dispute documents with personal identifying information for about 182,000 consumers."

I wonder which website was hacked? It apparently wasn't a hack directly against Equifax.

I don't doubt that the link in the beginning of the thread is what was reported in all of the news articles, and when I originally clicked it, it looked pretty reasonable, and only asked for the last 6 digits of the SSN, and last name.

But now it's behaving differently, so it seems that something is going on. Also if I try it with HTTP instead of HTTPS, OpenDNS blocks it as a phishing site.

Maybe it with sort itself out by tomorrow. I also wonder if this might be due to their servers being hammered by the people trying it immediately.
Date: September 08, 2017 12:45AM
I'm able connect to that page again without FireFox complaining, but this is getting interesting.

Top of the page says:
"To enroll in complimentary identity theft protection and credit file monitoring, click here." and the link is to [trustedidpremier.com]

Then and the bottom of the page, the big button that says "Check Potential Impact" links to [trustedidpremier.com] the exact same link as if you just want to enroll.

And now when I enter my info I get:

Thank You

Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information may have been impacted by this incident.

Click the button below to continue your enrollment in TrustedID Premier.

So it looks like I won the lottery sad smiley
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: September 08, 2017 04:56AM
GGD

Coin-flip.

Half of the adult population of the country was compromised.

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 08, 2017 07:06AM
Ted King
...I poked around various buttons to several different random pages on the site and it all seemed legit. If it is fake, someone went to a LOT of trouble to make a complete phony site.

There would be no need to create "a complete phony site." Links intended to give a phony page a legitimate appearance would merely link back to real pages on the legitimate site. Only a minimum of phony pages intended to steal info would be needed.
Date: September 08, 2017 09:20AM
DeusxMac
Ted King
...I poked around various buttons to several different random pages on the site and it all seemed legit. If it is fake, someone went to a LOT of trouble to make a complete phony site.

There would be no need to create "a complete phony site." Links intended to give a phony page a legitimate appearance would merely link back to real pages on the legitimate site. Only a minimum of phony pages intended to steal info would be needed.

That makes sense.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: September 08, 2017 02:28PM
I don't understand: Equifax is a company with whom I never (knowingly) did business, yet they maintain records containing personal, sensitive identification about me. I never (knowingly) authorised them to maintain those records, and their carelessness allowed that information to be stolen. I would think they owe me more than just one year of "credit monitoring". I would like to join a class-action lawsuit against them, that if won by the plaintiffs would result in bankruptcy for the defendant.

And no criminal charges will be filed by any authority?

Edit: Just saw Cbelts thread on the other side.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2017 02:30PM by neophyte.
Date: September 09, 2017 12:21PM
Onamuji
GGD

Coin-flip.

Half of the adult population of the country was compromised.

It may truly be random, this writer did some testing with randomly made up names and numbers and found that many of those had been compromised according to the checker page.

[techcrunch.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 178
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015