Forums

AAPL stock: $151.89 ( -1.50 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Long-term incumbent Repub House members getting out
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 08, 2017 12:08PM
Here's three:

Exhausted from his ideological battles with the House Freedom Caucus and clashes with Donald Trump’s White House, Rep. Charlie Dent (R-Pa.) has decided to retire.

“As a member of the governing wing of the Republican Party, I've worked to instill stability, certainty and predictability in Washington,” Dent said in a statement last night announcing that he will not seek an eighth term. “I've fought to fulfill the basic functions of government, like keeping the lights on and preventing default. Regrettably, that has not been easy given the disruptive outside influences that profit from increased polarization and ideological rigidity that leads to dysfunction, disorder and chaos.”

That surprise news came just one day after another seven-term moderate announced he will retire. Rep. Dave Reichert (R-Wash.), who represents a suburban Seattle district that Hillary Clinton carried, is chairman of the House Ways and Means subcommittee on trade. Breaking with the protectionist president, Reichert wrote a goodbye statement emphasizing the importance of free trade to the Pacific Northwest...

A third moderate, Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-Fla.), also expressed concern about the direction of the party when she revealed her plan to step down this spring. The first Cuban American elected to Congress expressed confidence she’d get reelected, even though Clinton won her Miami district by 20 points, but she said the prospect of two more years in the current environment just didn’t appeal to her...

I don't blame them. These are "moderate" R's, in swing districts, who apparently are not lockstep pro-Trump and hard-right enough for the Tea Party nutjobs and their ilk, who want to primary them with extremists.

Dems would have had a good chance of flipping these seats anyway, but the hard-right's temper tantrums have made that job a lot easier.

Keep it up, boys. See you in 2018.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Long-term incumbent Repub House members getting out
Date: September 08, 2017 12:41PM
Okay, consider this a Friday news dump.

Remember this one?

Here's the real-life version, I suppose:

(On Twitter, titled "In the pantheon of visual metaphors for America today, this is the money shot.")
Date: September 08, 2017 12:52PM
And one more to be filed under "Your GOP, today":

The Broward County Republicans are in turmoil today after revelations that a freshly elected member of their executive board is a man who once was charged with attempted murder in the savage claw-hammer beating of a then-classmate at a Los Angeles prep school for multi-millionaires’ children.

...a decade ago, the then-Beverly Hills teenager was charged with attempted murder in Los Angeles after hitting Harvard-Westlake School classmate Elizabeth Barcay over the head at least 40 times, splitting her skull open.

The grandson of Jason Tarsey, owner of the historic Dunes Hotel in Las Vegas, Tarsey was arrested in 2007 after the violent incident in a car near the private school.

“In the end, I pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor,” Tarsey said. “It’s not the charges that matter, it’s what happens in court.”

Tarsey, 6 feet 2 inches tall, claimed self-defense [in the beating of Ms. Barcay]

“Why should I resign,” [28-year-old Tarsey] asked in an exclusive interview from his $2 million beachfront condo. “I did nothing wrong and I was elected [secretary of the Broward County GOP]. This is just party politics."

If they dump him, he may have a future in the Trump administration.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: September 08, 2017 12:59PM
pdq
Here's the real-life version, I suppose
Amateur photographer behind viral golf course wildfire photos speaks out [www.nydailynews.com]

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: September 08, 2017 01:40PM
It's in the category of the old joke, "Hit the ball and drag John, hit the ball and drag John."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2017 01:41PM by Dennis S.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 08, 2017 03:07PM
pdq

The Broward County Republicans are in turmoil today after revelations that a freshly elected member of their executive board is a man who once was charged with attempted murder in the savage claw-hammer beating of a then-classmate at a Los Angeles prep school for multi-millionaires’ children.

...a decade ago, the then-Beverly Hills teenager was charged with attempted murder in Los Angeles after hitting Harvard-Westlake School classmate Elizabeth Barcay over the head at least 40 times, splitting her skull open.

The grandson of Jason Tarsey, owner of the historic Dunes Hotel in Las Vegas, Tarsey was arrested in 2007 after the violent incident in a car near the private school.

“In the end, I pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor,” Tarsey said. “It’s not the charges that matter, it’s what happens in court.”

Tarsey, 6 feet 2 inches tall, claimed self-defense [in the beating of Ms. Barcay]

“Why should I resign,” [28-year-old Tarsey] asked in an exclusive interview from his $2 million beachfront condo. “I did nothing wrong and I was elected [secretary of the Broward County GOP]. This is just party politics."

Another proud Family Values Republican.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 08, 2017 03:26PM
pdq

I always carried a condom on my dates but maybe I should have carried a claw hammer. You can't be too careful.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 08, 2017 05:59PM
More photos of golfers and the flames made this week in WA and OR. May as well enjoy the outdoors (what's left of it...) I've been around Lake Chelan and in Montana when fires where raging nearby and we watched from across the lake.

[www.oregonlive.com]

As for Reichert, he was going to lose the next election. He was ready to retire after quite a career (he's the guy who caught the Green River serial killer) but Trump definitely helped him to the door.
Dems own that seat next time around and we can't wait!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2017 06:00PM by Lemon Drop.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 240
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015