advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Studying what makes a Trump voter tick...
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: September 09, 2017 10:28AM
[www.theroot.com]

When researchers simply asked subjects how they felt about a not-so-complex housing-assistance issue, they were split on their support. But there was a subtle twist to the study: When the information about the issue was accompanied by a picture of a white person, Trump voters were much more likely to support it than when they were cued by an image of a black person. It revealed something we knew all along:

Trump voters aren’t conservatives. They aren’t necessarily Republicans. They’re just racists.

...The study revealed that when Trump voters were exposed to the “black cue,” it not only made them less supportive of the issue. It made them angry. Yes, a picture of a black man—not an actual black man, but a picture of a black man—made them mad.

The study controlled for socioeconomic status and education and found no statistical difference between white and black Hillary Clinton supporters when they were exposed to racial cues.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Studying what makes a Trump voter tick...
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 09, 2017 11:13AM
Great study - took a look at the methodology, very sound.

We know this, we've known it for a while. But it's good to see that additional scientific proof.
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 09, 2017 11:33AM
Despite this, we fight for their healthcare, education prospects, wage equity, clean environments, and peace.
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 09, 2017 12:28PM
I haven't met a conservative yet that didn't help themselves to unemployment, disability, Medicare, farm subsidies, highway bridges, etc. when the need arose.
Date: September 09, 2017 12:30PM
vision63
Despite this, we fight for their healthcare, education prospects, wage equity, clean environments, and peace.

yes, justice is for everybody
Posted by: kj
Date: September 09, 2017 01:51PM
For those interested in the truth rather than just politics, you have to realize the study does not prove "Trump voters are racist". We already know that since the Ku klux klan voted for trump that if you measured the total racist-ness of trump voters, it would be higher for trump voters. The study showed trump supporters might be ?some amount? more likely (on average, maybe) to be racially biased. Unfortunately, I think the study is pretty mediocre in that it's almost impossible to tell what the size of the bias is for the group studied. In fact, it looks like the size of the effect was pretty small, so they tried different approaches to describe it (linear regression). I mean, what is the dependent variable? Without making assumptions, its hard to tell. Why don't they use any plain descriptive stats to describe the results? I'd say probably because it would have lessened the political impact of the results.

So for people like me who find it depressing how awful people are, well, they aren't as awful as these articles are saying.
Date: September 09, 2017 02:45PM

I mean, what is the dependent variable?

the dependent variable is the level of support the individual expresses for the housing-assistance issue

That support lessens for Trump voters when they associate it with a black person, v. a white person. Trump voters didn't change their level of support when the race of the person in the photograph changed.

It shows an implicit racial bias.

I thought the study, it's hypotheses and methods and results, were pretty clear.
Nowhere does it say this means that all Trump supporters are racist. It says that Trump voters are more likely to be racist. Is anyone really doubting that at this stage in history?
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: September 09, 2017 03:30PM
Acer
I haven't met a conservative yet that didn't help themselves to unemployment, disability, Medicare, farm subsidies, highway bridges, etc. when the need arose.

That's because they are entitled to it.

They earned it because they pulled themselves up by their own bootstraps and never ever asked for any help from the government!

Or a family member did it.

Or someone they knew did it.

But that person was white, and so are they. So, logically, they are entitled to it.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 09, 2017 06:35PM
I think the most effective approach to discrimination problems is that when someone objects to diversity hiring on the basis that the people hired won't do a good job, the question should be : "What makes you think you are doing such a good job?"
Date: September 10, 2017 04:21PM
"the dependent variable is the level of support the individual expresses for the housing-assistance issue"

That's the easy answer to the easiest question I asked, but I thought it was obvious i'm asking how they arrived at the NUMBERS. You can't tell at all how big the effect is, which is obviously really important. Plus, there were 3 dependent variables, but I'm not going to make a big deal out of that.

"Trump voters didn't change their level of support when the race of the person in the photograph changed. "

Huh?

"I thought the study, it's hypotheses and methods and results, were pretty clear.
Nowhere does it say this means that all Trump supporters are racist. It says that Trump voters are more likely to be racist. Is anyone really doubting that at this stage in history?"

I understand the premise, but I'd have to disagree that the methods are clear. And again, I'd like to know what the size of the effect is, and I'd dare say that should be clear in a good study. As far as the conclusion, I made it pretty clear I didn't doubt that the average racism of trump voters is higher, for obvious reasons. This is what I disagree with:

"So when you see someone driving on the freeway on-ramp with a “Make America Great Again” bumper sticker on their car, feel free not to let them merge into traffic..."

Without any doubt, this statement suggests that if you see a trump supporter, you know they are racist. The study doesn't even say how much more likely they are to be racist (my biggest problem with the study), much less show they're all racist. It could be 1% more likely, but the study doesn't say, as far as I can tell (if it does, help me out).

And it's interesting how in the articles cited (especially the vox article), they keep saying how "powerful" the effect is. That's just not in the study, afaict.
Date: September 11, 2017 11:44AM

"Trump voters didn't change their level of support when the race of the person in the photograph changed. "

Huh?

that was a typo (which seems obvious) on my part, I meant to say people who didn't vote for Trump

You're taking issue with blog writers who use hyperbole and sarcastic humor? Maybe lighten up a little? Your offense feels an awful lot like white fragility.
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 11, 2017 02:52PM
kj
We already know that since the Ku klux klan voted for trump that if you measured the total racist-ness of trump voters, it would be higher for trump voters. The study showed trump supporters might be ?some amount? more likely (on average, maybe) to be racially biased....

Or that some fraction of Trump voters were racist (or xenophobic, homophobic, etc, etc).

In less elegant terms, one might even call that fraction a basket of deplorables.
Date: September 11, 2017 05:39PM
Lemon Drop

Huh?

that was a typo (which seems obvious) on my part, I meant to say people who didn't vote for Trump

You're taking issue with blog writers who use hyperbole and sarcastic humor? Maybe lighten up a little? Your offense feels an awful lot like white fragility.

I guess if we agree on everything else, that's pretty good.

If it was just blog writers, that would be fine (I actually thought some of the "root" article was funny). Unfortunately, it's not just bloggers. Most people don't read the original study, so accuracy might be desirable (you think?). You can be accurate and funny, I think. More importantly, we're talking about stereotyping here, and nobody should have time for that, no matter where it comes from.

I'm not offended, because I didn't vote for Trump. But I am sticking up for other people who don't deserve the derision, and for the truth, whether it's fashionable or not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2017 06:01PM by kj.
Date: September 11, 2017 05:58PM
pdq
kj
We already know that since the Ku klux klan voted for trump that if you measured the total racist-ness of trump voters, it would be higher for trump voters. The study showed trump supporters might be ?some amount? more likely (on average, maybe) to be racially biased....

Or that some fraction of Trump voters were racist (or xenophobic, homophobic, etc, etc).

In less elegant terms, one might even call that fraction a basket of deplorables.

Duh. But like I said, as far as the study is concerned that could be 1% of them (or 1/100th, for you). As far as name calling, you can do that all you want, but it's really immature and counter-productive.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 217
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015