advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: $156.07 ( -2.66 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
McConnell - still not doing away with legislative filibuster
Posted by: Ted King
Date: September 09, 2017 02:42PM
I thought that if Trump won that McConnell would for sure get rid of the legislative filibuster within the first six months of Trump's presidency so that Republicans could more easily pass their agenda. But that hasn't happened. I wonder why. Is it because McConnell has some deep attachment to Senate traditions? In a related way, is it because he thinks the filibuster is an important part of the checks and balances of government - so important that he needs to stay with it even though it is getting in the way of passing legislation he and the Republican party/base really want? Or is it because he is thinking of the future when Republicans could be the minority party in the Senate?

Whatever the reason, I am surprised that he hasn't caved to Trump's demand on this.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: McConnell - still not doing away with legislative filibuster
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 09, 2017 03:22PM
Because it works for both sides. They'll need it at some point.

Normal political strategies doesn't usually include destroy the institution like it does now. It's take your beating, but live to fight another day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2017 03:25PM by vision63.
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 09, 2017 03:58PM
I think he's keeping it to limit the damage to his party from his own party passing Tea Party or Trump foolishness they'll regret later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2017 04:01PM by Acer.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: September 10, 2017 09:15AM
McConnell is willing to align with Trump if he thinks it will advance his own agenda, but I don't think he's willing to "cave" to the man. I'm sure he plans to be around long enough to see the majority shift parties.

The filibuster is not what killed "repeal and replace", despite Trump's claims. McConnell knows that.

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: September 11, 2017 09:23AM
Ted King
I thought that if Trump won that McConnell would for sure get rid of the legislative filibuster within the first six months of Trump's presidency so that Republicans could more easily pass their agenda. But that hasn't happened. I wonder why. Is it because McConnell has some deep attachment to Senate traditions? In a related way, is it because he thinks the filibuster is an important part of the checks and balances of government - so important that he needs to stay with it even though it is getting in the way of passing legislation he and the Republican party/base really want? Or is it because he is thinking of the future when Republicans could be the minority party in the Senate?

Whatever the reason, I am surprised that he hasn't caved to Trump's demand on this.

Because, I reluctantly acknowledge despite my bitter antagonism toward the man, Mitch McConnell may actually care more about America than he does about an immediate burst of short-term legislative wins. Or, he just knows that when the pendulum swings in your favor and takes out a bunch of your enemies, it's only a matter of time before that wrecking ball heads your way...

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2017 09:24AM by rjmacs.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 11, 2017 03:51PM
rjmacs
Mitch McConnell may actually care more about America than he does about an immediate burst of short-term legislative wins.
Not a chance. He has worked every day to stop legislation and undermine American democracy..
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 11, 2017 05:27PM
Yeah, and he was pretty gleeful about eliminating the filibuster for Supreme Court nominees after blocking an eminently qualified nominee from Obama.

So I'd give him a D+
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: September 12, 2017 06:21PM
pdq
Yeah, and he was pretty gleeful about eliminating the filibuster for Supreme Court nominees after blocking an eminently qualified nominee from Obama.

So I'd give him a D+

Harry Reid opened and held the door for Mitch on that one. Can't pin this nuclear option on the GOP - the Democrats were stupid to have done it half-way.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 290
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015