advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: $153.14 ( +2.59 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
HILL to the Chief?!....Hillary Clinton -> 1st post election interview on 'CBS Sunday Morning' [ video included ]...... .
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 10, 2017 11:25AM
......with Jane Pauley......

Hillary Clinton on CBS Sunday Morning: Watch First Post-Election TV Interview

......Onetime First Lady and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton sat down for her first post-election interview with CBS Sunday Morning‘s Jane Pauley.

The pre-taped Q&A, which aired on Sunday, comes as the former presidential candidate is set to release a tell-all focused on her stunning loss to President Donald Trump. The book, entitled What Happened, will be in stores on Sept. 12.

Among the interview’s many talking points…

On her failed presidential campaign:
“I started the campaign knowing that I would have to work extra hard to make women and men feel comfortable with the idea of a woman president,” she said. “It doesn’t fit into the stereotypes we all carry around in our heads. A lot of the sexism and the misogyny was in service of these attitudes.” As for her challenger? “[Trump] was quite successful in referencing a nostalgia that would give hope, comfort and settle grievances for millions of [white] people who were upset about gains that were made by others.”

On whether she regrets her “basket of deplorables” gaffe:
“I thought Trump was behaving in a deplorable manner,” she said, defending her widely criticized campaign statement. “I thought a lot of his appeals to voters were deplorable. I thought his behavior, as we saw on the Access Hollywood tape, was deplorable. And there were a large number of people who didn’t care. It didn’t matter to them.” What’s more, she “doesn’t buy” into the idea that she offended people who weren’t already opposed to her candidacy.

On how she dealt with defeat:
“Off I went into a frenzy of closet cleaning, long walks in the woods, playing with my dogs and, you know, my share of chardonnay,” she said. “It was a very hard transition, and I make no bones about it. I really struggled, and for the longest time, I was just totally drained. I couldn’t feel, I couldn’t think, I was just gobsmacked.”

On Vladimir Putin and Russian meddling in the 2016 election:
“The forces that were at work in 2016 were unlike anything that I’ve ever seen or read about,” she said. “It was a perfect storm.” But as Pauley pointed out, there were serious “self-inflicted” wounds, too, referring to Clinton’s emails. “I think the most important of the mistakes I made was using personal email. I said it before, I’ll say it again: It was my responsibility. It was presented in such a negative way, and I could never get out from under it. It never stopped.”

On former FBI Director James Comey:
“I don’t know quite what audience he was playing to,” Clinton remarked. “Maybe some right-wing commentators [and] right-wing members of Congress.” She also blames his decision to reveal that emails were found on the laptop of disgraced congressman Anthony Weiner, just 11 days before the election, for stopping her momentum. “It raised the specter that somehow the investigation was being reopened. … At the same time he does that about a closed investigation, there’s an open investigation into the Trump campaign and their connections to Russia. You never hear a word about it.”

On attending Trump’s inauguration:
Defeated presidential candidates don’t typically attend the inauguration, but as Pauley pointed out, Clinton, who was in attendance, is a former First Lady. “Former presidents and first ladies show up. It’s part of the demonstration of the continuity of our government,” Clinton explained. She then weighed in on Trump’s speech, calling it “a cry from the white nationalist gut. What an opportunity to say, ‘Ok, I’m proud of my supporters, but I’m the president of all Americans.’ That’s not what we heard at all.”

On whether she’ll ever run for office again:
While her career as “an active politician” is “over,” Clinton said that she is “not done with politics because I believe our country’s future is at stake.”

her book is coming out soon......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2017 11:26AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: HILL to the Chief?!....Hillary Clinton -> 1st post election interview on 'CBS Sunday Morning' [ video included ]...... .
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 10, 2017 01:12PM
I'm an avid reader, but why?

I watched the election, predicted the outcome months early, and am living with the results. The idea of rehashing what no longer matters is just, well just deplorable.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Re: HILL to the Chief?!....Hillary Clinton -> 1st post election interview on 'CBS Sunday Morning' [ video included ]...... .
Posted by: $tevie
Date: September 10, 2017 02:37PM
Ombligo
I'm an avid reader, but why?

I watched the election, predicted the outcome months early, and am living with the results. The idea of rehashing what no longer matters is just, well just deplorable.
You don't read memoirs? Technically, they all rehash what no longer matters. Myself, I love autobiographies, memoirs, and biographies, I prefer this genre to most fiction.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 10, 2017 02:57PM
I thoroughly enjoy biographies, but found memoirs to generally be self-serving, and often inaccurate. Besides this one is about events so recent, that she is reacting, not reflecting.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 10, 2017 05:34PM
She still hasn't accepted blame for hijacking the Democrat's nomination process and nominating the most disliked candidate in modern history. It wasn't that people didn't want a female leader, they didn't want her as the female leader. She needs to let it go, at least until after 45 gets thrown out of office.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: September 10, 2017 07:28PM
I wish she and Sanders would just shut the f up.

Date: September 10, 2017 10:03PM
I love how everybody already knows everything that's in the book even though it's not yet available to read.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 11, 2017 08:56AM
Filliam H. Muffman
She still hasn't accepted blame for hijacking the Democrat's nomination process and nominating the most disliked candidate in modern history. It wasn't that people didn't want a female leader, they didn't want her as the female leader. She needs to let it go, at least until after 45 gets thrown out of office.

I agree with this, and I happily voted for her. I also believe her attitude on that correlates strongly with feeding the misconception that Obama won solely "because he's black." They are inseparable.

I know strong conservatives who would have voted for Carson, and last I heard he was black (supposedly -j/k). Many more would vote for someone like Palin or Marsha Blackburn or the late Phyllis Schlafly if they could.

Ideology and dogma and hate can transcend race and gender (but usually, don't, of course.)
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 11, 2017 11:35AM
I've ordered my copy and look forward to reading Hillary's latest book.

Her journey is emblematic of what happens to ambitious and highly qualified women in our country. Oh that she were president now.... There are many lessons to be learned from her experience and the wise will take those in. And she is the only person who can tell her story of "what happened" during the 2016 campaign and election.

It seems necessary to keep reminding folks that more Americans voted for her than for Donald Trump. The electoral system that created President Donald Trump was created to help protect slavery. The irony is more than painful.

Hillary has said repeatedly that she takes responsibility personally for losing the election. An election that included interference and opposition to her from a powerful and hostile foreign government. What do you people want from her? She doesn't owe you anything at this point, and you don't seem inclined to listen in any event.
Date: September 11, 2017 12:19PM
Lemon Drop
Hillary has said repeatedly that she takes responsibility personally for losing the election.

Link? Post some quotes with full context.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 11, 2017 12:51PM
>>It wasn't that people didn't want a female leader, they didn't want her as the female leader.

Sorry, but I can't help but think of this as being along the lines of

"Sure, he should speak up for civil rights, but does he need to draw attention to himself by kneeling during the national anthem?"

"Yes, they deserve equal treatment, but why did they need to disrupt that lunch counter?"

"Why couldn't she have just sat down at the back of the bus?"

Hillary was vilified for a very long time. Was it 100% sexism? No...but there was still plenty of it.

Date: September 11, 2017 12:55PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Lemon Drop
Hillary has said repeatedly that she takes responsibility personally for losing the election.

seriously?

is your internet broken? You can look up your own quotes. She said back in May "I take full personal responsibility for the outcome of the election" at a variety of venues.

She does not have to pretend (to satisfy the likes of you to whom she owes nothing) that there were not some very weird events in the weeks and months prior to that election. As you may be aware, there's a major investigation underway now to try and understand "what happened."
Date: September 11, 2017 01:44PM
Lemon Drop
Filliam H. Muffman
Lemon Drop

seriously?

is your internet broken? You can look up your own quotes. She said back in May "I take full personal responsibility for the outcome of the election" at a variety of venues.

She does not have to pretend (to satisfy the likes of you to whom she owes nothing) that there were not some very weird events in the weeks and months prior to that election. As you may be aware, there's a major investigation underway now to try and understand "what happened."

Seriously.

Every one I found was buried in paragraphs that minimized her taking blame.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 11, 2017 02:18PM
Lemon Drop
seriously?

is your internet broken? You can look up your own quoteS.

Come on Lemon. That's max's old fall back response. You're better than that.
Date: September 11, 2017 02:53PM
DeusxMac
Lemon Drop
seriously?

is your internet broken? You can look up your own quoteS.

Come on Lemon. That's max's old fall back response. You're better than that.
No, max is the one who posts quotes with no links and then says it proves who is lazy.

Asking someone to back up a comment with "some quotes" (plural) and links, when there are hundreds of comments made here each day without footnotes and cites, is being a little bitch.

I have to say that this insistence on eternally vilifying a person who lost an election with more electoral votes than plenty of male losers had is really beginning to stink of misogyny.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2017 02:56PM by $tevie.
Date: September 11, 2017 03:50PM
My understanding is that calling someone names instead of providing proof is subconscious admission that you have lost the argument.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 11, 2017 05:23PM
Politico

Writing with the assistance of aides Dan Schwerin, Megan Rooney and Tony Carrk, she broadly acknowledges her flaws as a candidate in several passages in the book. “I go back over my own shortcomings and the mistakes we made. I take responsibility for all of them,” she writes. “You can blame the data, blame the message, blame anything you want—but I was the candidate. It was my campaign. Those were my decisions.”

You'll have to get your hands on a copy of the book if you want more context than that. And yes, she talks about other things as well- the extraordinary involvement of the Russians, and the head of the FBI "reopening" a bogus case, based on no new evidence, 11 days before the election.

I think a lot of people just can't hear her when she says "yep- I made mistakes, and I wish I had done this or that, but I didn't and we lost" (as shown in some of the comments above). But to ignore the other things that happened and pretend they didn't happen is silly, I think.
Date: September 11, 2017 05:40PM
pdq

I think a lot of people just can't hear her when she says "yep- I made mistakes, and I wish I had done this or that, but I didn't and we lost" (as shown in some of the comments above). But to ignore the other things that happened and pretend they didn't happen is silly, I think.

I think that's a good explanation.

You don't have to have her book though to find many, many instances of her taking responsibility. Anyone with a search engine can find them, not sure why I'd need to do that research for anyone.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 11, 2017 05:58PM
Everybody knew Donald Trump was a crook. They were unsure about Hillary Clinton so those last minute 'revelations' hurt.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 11, 2017 08:28PM
Hillary's book is being treated like Hillary.
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 11, 2017 11:24PM
deckeda
Filliam H. Muffman

I agree with this, and I happily voted for her. I also believe her attitude on that correlates strongly with feeding the misconception that Obama won solely "because he's black." They are inseparable.

I know strong conservatives who would have voted for Carson, and last I heard he was black (supposedly -j/k). Many more would vote for someone like Palin or Marsha Blackburn or the late Phyllis Schlafly if they could.

Ideology and dogma and hate can transcend race and gender (but usually, don't, of course.)

How can 2 guys who are so amazingly smart believe something so incredibly stupid? You can't even point to a single solitary piece of "evidence" supporting this "belief." I posed that first sentence as a question. I'd ask you to provide evidence of proof but since I know you cannot, I'll accept your non-response. Still, so smart? I don't get it?
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 11, 2017 11:30PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Lemon Drop
Filliam H. Muffman
Lemon Drop

seriously?

Seriously.

Every one I found was buried in paragraphs that minimized her taking blame.

You're not trying very hard. Every excerpt includes her taking and accepting the blame where she believes she has some (which in most cases, she's just accepting blame even though it really wasn't her fault. Women have to do that all the effing time just to keep some peace). It's in every interview. It's on all the broadcasts and in all the papers.
Date: September 12, 2017 09:44AM
My copy of her book is arriving today.

Date: September 12, 2017 10:57AM
It’s Time for Hillary Clinton to Gracefully Bow Out of Public Life, Along with All Other Women

I can hear you formulating your outrage. But, I assure you, this is not a “gendered” opinion. No recent failed Presidential candidate has ever had such a prominent public role post-election, with the possible exceptions of Al Gore, who produced and starred in an Oscar-winning documentary; Senator John McCain, who is a constant television presence; and Mitt Romney, who—you gotta admit—seemed like a pretty good dude in that Netflix movie. Just an awkward guy from a political family who had no logical career move other than President at that point in his life. Sure, he lacked charisma in public, but you saw the real him around his family. Unlike Hillary Clinton, a calculating technocrat, who, it must be admitted, selfishly plotted a takeover of the Presidency for decades.
The point is, we’ll never move ahead as a nation if we keep following a failed candidate. It’s time to think about Sanders 2020.
[www.newyorker.com]

Date: September 12, 2017 10:58AM
mattkime
Hillary's book is being treated like Hillary.
Yep.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 293
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015