advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Another swing-district GOPer announces retirement...
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 11, 2017 02:39PM
..."to spend more time with my family and return to the private sector”, says Dave Trott (R-MI, and only 56 years old).

No scandal that I'm aware of. Why is he calling it quits?

Trott’s decision to leave is the latest sign that House Republicans are bracing for a brutal 2018 election — one that some of them aren’t so eager to face. And it opens up a competitive seat Democrats hope they can capture in a wave election.

Trott is already the fourth Republican from a competitive district to announce he’ll retire this year, and the third in just a week.

If Trump has taught us anything, it's not to count one's chickens. But with the Republicans finally getting their wish to control every branch of government, all the "party of ideas" has shown us that they're stuck on the same old trickle-down, and that they can't seem to govern their way out of a paper bag.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Another swing-district GOPer announces retirement...
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 11, 2017 02:52PM
The so-called moderate Republicans fear being primaried from the right (which used to be from the Tea Party until the mainstream Republicans lost control of the Baggers and then killed the movement.). I guess better to retire than to be beaten. Democratic representatives did the same before the 2010 bloodbath.

I don't think the Republicans have much to fear in this coming off-year election. If the voters are turned off, they'll just stay home. They won't show up to vote Democratic unless Pres. Trump suddenly goes off the deep end. His current gradual decent into madness is just seen as the new normalcy.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: September 11, 2017 04:40PM
Speedy
...unless Pres. Trump suddenly goes off the deep end.

Speedy, has your TV been broken since January?
Date: September 11, 2017 04:50PM
pdq
Speedy
...unless Pres. Trump suddenly goes off the deep end.

Speedy, has your TV been broken since January?

It has to be sudden. None of this daily dribble. Maybe launching nukes on San Francisco. Anything short of that and 2018 will be a losing year for Democrats.

Date: September 11, 2017 05:10PM
Are you saying deplorables have a short attention span?

wink smiley
Date: September 11, 2017 05:17PM
pdq
Are you saying deplorables have a short attention span?

wink smiley

They do. But even Donald giving the nukular codes to Vlad wouldn't change their votes.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 11, 2017 06:05PM
I suppose the notion of sacrificial lambs isn't practical, but ANYTIME a moderate decides to duck out, it's probably not good for America.

Dems having a short-term gain next year (assumption for this point ...) isn't going to help if fewer moderate Republicans exist in Congress.

That said, in recent decades, the Democraric party has swung more centrist, so maybe that's the balance.
Date: September 11, 2017 06:54PM
deckeda
I suppose the notion of sacrificial lambs isn't practical, but ANYTIME a moderate decides to duck out, it's probably not good for America.

Dems having a short-term gain next year (assumption for this point ...) isn't going to help if fewer moderate Republicans exist in Congress.

Meh. In my experience, moderate Republicans are "moderate" in name only - when push comes to shove, they'll line up and go along with whatever the leadership tells them to. There were a number of "moderate" GOP senators that were all in an anguish about ending Obamacare without any rational replacement, and most of them lined up and voted yes when the time came. It was only McCain being curmudgeonly that saved it.

If they're going to vote like Tea Partiers, I'd rather they own it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2017 06:55PM by pdq.
Posted by: bfd
Date: September 11, 2017 08:58PM
Deplorable billionaires will have plenty of races to bet on next season…
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 217
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015