Forums

AAPL stock: $156.36 ( +0.1134 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Man beaten by 6 Charlottesville white supremacists charged with felony
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 10, 2017 02:46PM
Maybe he bled on them too much?

A black man brutally beaten at a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville is now facing a felony charge related to the August attack.

A local magistrate on Monday issued an arrest warrant for DeAndre Harris on an unlawful wounding charge after a man, identified Tuesday afternoon by Harris’s lawyer as Harold Ray Crews, claimed in a complaint to have been injured by the 20-year-old during the brawl.

The lawyer, S. Lee Merritt, issued a statement saying the unlawful wounding charge was orchestrated by the League of the South, a neo-Confederate white nationalist group, to “further victimize” Harris.

...Videos from the scene showed the man, identified by Merritt as Crews, thrusting a Confederate flag pole at a counterprotester and Harris swinging a flashlight at him. Six white supremacists then descended on Harris, kicking him and striking him with wooden sticks as he lay curled up on the pavement...

That's Harris on the left; in the middle pic and right, he's the one on the ground, surrounded by very fine people on all sides.

Video at the link above.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Man beaten by 6 Charlottesville white supremacists charged with felony
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 10, 2017 02:55PM
I don't suppose the "Stand Your Ground" defense is available, since he is of color.
Posted by: Pam
Date: October 10, 2017 02:57PM
Loads of people on the right were claiming he started the fight. It'll be interesting to see the evidence.
Date: October 10, 2017 02:58PM
Acer
I don't suppose the "Stand Your Ground" defense is available, since he is of color.

Plus, no gun, so he's outta luck.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: October 10, 2017 03:00PM
I read the Truthout article on this a few minutes ago. Sessions and FBI have done practically less than nothing to apprehend all the attackers, despite being given clear photos by the journalist who was there.

Unconscionable.
Date: October 10, 2017 03:13PM
Well, they seem to be working pretty hard to get that guy who's on the ground...
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 10, 2017 03:52PM
Justice does not apply to "Just Us". Attempted murder charges should be applied to all of his assailants.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 10, 2017 04:32PM
This from a reporter for The Intercept, so, you know, it might be malarkey. OR it might be true. I'm leaning towards true, because it's the only way it makes sense.

The Charlottesville Police just told me that they did NOT issue an arrest warrant for DeAndre Harris. What happened is very nefarious.

A white supremacist who was injured in a fight with people other than DeAndre Harris tried to get police to arrest DeAndre. They declined.

So the white supremacist found a judge he knows, who did something one officer told me he had never seen before....

The white supremacist got a random local magistrate, who never conducted an investigation, to issue a bogus arrest warrant for DeAndre Harris.

In the meantime, the main men who assaulted him have yet to be charged.

America. 2017.
[twitter.com]

Date: October 10, 2017 05:33PM
BTW, Mike Ditka recently gave his valuable, nuanced take on race relations:

"All of a sudden, it's become a big deal now, about oppression," Ditka said, during a radio interview with Jim Gray prior to Monday night's game between the Bears and Minnesota Vikings. "There has been no oppression in the last 100 years that I know of."

smiley-shocked003

On the one hand, the very fact that someone can make a statement like this shows we have a continuing race problem in this country.

On the other hand, as someone else helpfully noted, Ditka played a while ago, and maybe got hit in the head too many times back then.
Date: October 10, 2017 09:42PM
I can't think of many better examples of white privilege than telling Black people that there is no oppression. eek smiley

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: October 11, 2017 06:43AM
Is Ditka;

1) living in a bubble, where the only black people he knew were wealthy NFL players?

2) a senile, old racist?

3) just an @#$%&?

4) all of the above?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2017 06:43AM by Lux Interior.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 11, 2017 11:04AM
Date: October 11, 2017 07:30PM
JoeH
Ditto.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 234
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015